LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:49 am
Let’s divert from the Elven culture for a while, and take a look at their counterpart: the Dwarves. First, let’s take a look at the Dwarven star of The Fellowship of the Ring: Gimli himself! Smile

2Gimli, Dwarven Adventurer Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 6
Damage +1. Hunter 2.
Each time Gimli wins a skirmish, you may remove 1.
”Gimli the dwarf alone wore openly a short shirt of steel-rings….”

2Gimli, Elf-friend Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Gimli gains hunter 1 for each wound on Legolas.
Skirmish: Exert Gimli to make Legolas strength +1 (or +2 if skirmishing a roaming minion).
”’But I will be content, if only Legolas here shares my blindness.’”
Last edited by Anonymous Prodigy on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:08 am; edited 1 time in totalI had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Companion • Dwarf
Hunter 2. Damage +1.

Always nice getting to review cards of my favorite character. Very Happy Swap the damage and hunter, but otherwise he looks good. Not overly useful, but a fun and unique way to choke for potential double-moves, and his hunter 2 makes him more than a worthy addition to many decks.

Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
2Gimli, Friend of Legolas Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Hunter 2. Gimli is damage +1 for each wound on Legolas.
Skirmish: Exert Gimli to make Legolas strength +1 (or +2 if skirmishing a roaming minion).

Kind of a like a weird merging of Unbidden Guest and Counter of Foes...two of my all-time favorites! Thumbs Up

I like this, but it’s simply TOO reliant on Legolas, I think. Unbidden Guest was much better with Legolas, of course, but not altogether useless without him.

I’d suggest something like the following:

Companion • Dwarf
Resistance: 7
Hunter 2.
While you can spot a wounded companion, Gimli is damage +1 (or damage +2 if that companion is Legolas).
Skirmish: Exert Gimli to make a companion skirmishing a roaming minion strength +1 (or +2 if that companion is Legolas).
“‘But I will be content, if only Legolas here shares my blindness.’”

Note I raised his resistance a tad as well, which I think is appropriate for an Elf-loving type. Smile

Alternatively, I would even more strongly recommend this:

Companion • Dwarf
Resistance: 7
Damage +1. Hunter X.
X is the number of wounds on Legolas.
Skirmish: Exert Gimli to make a companion skirmishing a roaming minion strength +1 (or +2 if that companion is Legolas).
“‘But I will be content, if only Legolas here shares my blindness.’”

Now Gimli has his standard damage bonus, can get up to good hunter potential, and works well with Elves and rangers thanks to his skirmish ability. If you’re worried this version isn’t quite to your liking, you could give him a hunter 1 to start with and change the first line to "Gimli gains hunter 1 for each wound on Legolas" or something.

ANOTHER thought is to change his skirmish ability to giving hunter bonuses instead of strength. Not sure if that would be too much, though. Think

Oh, and ONE last thing: "Elf-friend" might be a much cooler subtitle.

Okay, I’m done now. Promise. Razz
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:48 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:

Companion • Dwarf
Hunter 2. Damage +1.
works

Companion • Dwarf
Hunter 2. Gimli is damage +1 for each wound on Legolas.

cut either the hunter of the damage +1 ability.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:10 am
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Let’s divert from the Elven culture for a while, and take a look at their counterpart: the Dwarves. First, let’s take a look at the Dwarven star of The Fellowship of the Ring: Gimli himself! Smile

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Hunter 2.

Sweetness, love it!

Companion • Dwarf

Seems ok.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:19 am
Thanks for the reviews! Very Happy

2Gimli’s Battle Axe, Orc Hewer Dwarven
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Dwarf. Bearer is damage +1.
Skirmish: If bearer is Gimli, remove a Dwarven token to make him strength +1 (or +2 if he is skirmishing an Orc).
”…in his belt was a broad-bladed axe.”

2Glóin, Revered Dwarf Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Muster.
Each time another Dwarven companion is about to take a wound, you may exert Glóin to prevent that and reinforce a Dwarven token.
”’Am I right in guessing that you are the Glóin, one of the twelve companions of the great Thorin Oakenshield?’”
Last edited by Anonymous Prodigy on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 2 times in totalI had to put something here.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:16 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Dwarf. Bearer is damage +1. If bearer is Gimli, he gains hunter 1.
Skirmish: Remove a Dwarven token to make Gimli strength +1 (or +2 if he is skirmishing an Orc).
cu the if bearer is gimli ability. good enough as is, especially with that nice orc hate...

Companion • Dwarf
Muster.
Response: If another Dwarven companion is about to take a wound, exert Glóin to prevent that and reinforce a Dwarven token.
”’Am I right in guessing that you are the Glóin, one of the twelve companions of the great Thorin Oakenshield?’”

cool!
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:32 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1. Hunter 2.

FAR too OP as a 2/8/3/6 damage +1 companion. Stick with hunter 1 if anything, which is just okay because of his minor ability.

Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Companion • Dwarf

Solid. Good Legolas/Gimli combo, and if it applied to any companion, it would be too good.

Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Dwarf. Bearer is damage +1. If bearer is Gimli, he gains hunter 1.
Skirmish: Remove a Dwarven token to make Gimli strength +1 (or +2 if he is skirmishing an Orc).

I entirely agree with SoP, but I would begin the skirmish ability with ’If bearer is Gimli...’

Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
Companion • Dwarf
Muster.
Response: If another Dwarven companion is about to take a wound, exert Glóin to prevent that and reinforce a Dwarven token.

Weird. Perhaps it should be an ’Each time’ so that you don’t put loads of vitality bonuses on him and reinforce 7 tokens for 1 wound.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
legoles3333
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2

i would change the second ability to Remove a Dwarven token to make a dwarf strength +1 (or Strength +2 if that dwarf is gimli.

Companion • Dwarf
Muster.

nice!
Here's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:30 am
You’re missing a crucial ’Skirmish:’ on Gimli’s Battleaxe! Razz

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:53 pm
then why is it in our reviews but not in his DC’s?
"DáinIronfoot"

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards