LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard
NappyKorn
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 pm
I’ve been trying to build a "Rainbow Shadow Deck" ever since I read a post about it here on the boards. So hear is what I came up with.

Minions: (28 )
Chieftain of Dunland x3
Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul x3
The Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor x4
Courageous Easterling x3
Grousing Hillman x3
Rapt Hillman x4
Sunland Scout x2
White Hand Invader x4
Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings x2

Conditions: (4)
Countless Companies x2
Rapid Reload x2

Possessions: (3)
Pavise x3

Strategy:

Well the obvious point of the deck is to control sites and use those sites to wound/exert the opponent’s Freeps during your Shadow Phase. I have found that Evil Men have been the most effect for me at controlling massive sites so I chose them to control the sites. Rapt Hillma with a Pavise can control up to 3 sites in one maneuver phase. I decided to use the Mouth of Sauron to set up your conditions and possessions quicker. Mouth with a Pavise can get up to 4 of these out with the right amount of twilight to play with. After things are set up (Countless Companies out with Pavises) Play the Rapt Hillman and play a Pavise on him to exhaust him and take control of 3 sites, then hope he loses his skirmish so the freeps can’t liberate a site during the regroup phase (even if they do Liberate 1 site you still have 2 in your control). After you have control of a good chunk of sites you can drop the White Hand invader to have the opponent exert comps equal to the number of sites you control then after all the exertions are done drop a Gothmog to finish off the comps with wounds equal to the number of sites you control. The Sundland Scout is there for the simple purpose of getting rid of a couple pesky Freeps’ condition that may cause trouble with healing or whatnot. Grousing Hillman and Chieftain of Dunland are here to mop up a couple of companions that might be standing after a huge Shadow Phase wounding bomb. The Courageous Easterling is here to either get a cheap minion out to spot for the Rapt Hillman to control sites and if you have the Twilight you can equip him with a Pavise (if the opponent has pre-skirmish wounds to deal) so when he skirmish you can grab a better minion like Chieftain of Dunland or Grousing Hillman from your discard pile. Well that is just about it I believe, Control the sites (easily done) exert and wound during the Shadow Phase with White Hand Invaders and Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul and finish the comps off by beating them down with Grousing Hillman and Chieftain of Dunland.

I have played this deck a couple of times and once I had 7 sites controlled with the opponent at site 8. I played 2 White Hand Invaders (14 exertion possible) and then a Gothmog (7 wounds possible) exhausted the fellowship (killing most) and piled the burdens on the RB since the opponent elected to wear the ring.

Any suggestions would be great and I would really like an idea for a Freeps Deck to pair this with. I need a freeps deck that is good at staying alive so that my shadow can take control of sites through regions 1 and 2 so I can maximize my Shadow Phase wounding in region 3. I paired this with a Dwarven Stack deck which was pretty effective but was just wondering if there was a better Freeps side to pair it with. Any suggestion on a deck using "We Shall Meet Again" might be good since it will help get my White Hand Invaders and Gothmogs back into hand.
Last edited by NappyKorn on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in totalNo Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
macheteman
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:53 pm
the secret is out! hahah.

well with 37 cards, my dwarven cycle/screw is perfect. it is at 37 cards, can cycle your hand, and can stop you opponent from setting up well, giving your shadow an edge.

let me see if i can think of all the cards in it.

starting fellowship

Gimli, bearer of grudges
one ring, ring of rings
Gloin son of groin
Durin III

other companions:
2x thorin III
4x Dwarven Warrior

possessions/artifacts:
4x heavy axe
4x bracers
1x ring of fury
2x well crafted armor
1x arod

events:
4x no pauses no spills
4x nobody tosses a dwarf
3x awkward moment
2x honed

conditions:
2x proud and able
2x run until found

if you know how to play it, it’s deadly. basically, cycle with NPNS, and play as many possessions as you can on Durin. then play stuf on gloin and gimli proud and able transfers all those possessions into damage bonuses, which gives more resistance for gimli, and sets up for HUGE pumps with honed. (you can add a honed and take out an awkward moment if you want, but AM is more sure, and helps out early.) if multiple skirmishes come up, try to use gloin first, win his skirmish, to cycle for more cards which will set up your shadow/ give you another pump if you need it for a skirmish, or a Nobody tosses a dwarf for Durin’s skirmish.

Durin is an excellent combo with Nobody tosses a dwarf. easily reaching 20+ strength with a few possessions and honed. (esp when PaA is in your support area) don’t forget to play the nobody tosses to make your opponent discard as many cards as possible.

the dwarven warriors are awesome, the not only discard your opponents cards, they also screw archery and beatdown because they can take wounds and die, so that you can play more without even breaking the rule of 5.

thorin III can also help out screwing your opponent’s deck. just give him a heavy axe, and he’s already strength 9, add bracers and a pump, and he can easily win a skirmish or 2.

all in all a wonderful standard legal deck to pair with any shadow kill deck.

-mm
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:33 pm
mm’s Freeps deck is a great choice to pair with your Shadow side. It works wonders; trust me, I’ve played against it. Razz

The Shadow side looks great, except I’d throw in a copy or two of Mumak Rider. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
macheteman
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:39 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
mm’s Freeps deck is a great choice to pair with your Shadow side. It works wonders; trust me, I’ve played against it. Razz

lol, yeah, i think AP has faced the full fury of the dwarves. using the 4x nobody tosses, and 4x dwarven warrior, you can discard 20 cards right there.
ROLF!!!
NBarden
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:47 pm
His deck looks pretty good. However, I’d cut the discard back slightly and go with BRC.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
macheteman
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:59 pm
"BRC" being what?

EDIT: Blood runs chill. ok, that is a good card.
Last edited by macheteman on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in totalCheck out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
ROLF!!!
NappyKorn
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:05 pm
macheteman wrote:
"BRC" being what?

BRC is the abbreviation for Blood Runs Chill
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
macheteman
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:08 pm
yeah, i just went to the abbr. thread and figured it out.
ROLF!!!
NappyKorn
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:36 pm
Well I decided to go ahead and give the current Freeps side that I’m running with this Shadow deck. I’m wanting some feedback on this deck as well and whether it is good or not either with this shadow side or just in general. Here it is:

Ring-Bearer and Ring
Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
The One Ring, The Great Ring

Companions: ( 7 )
Gimli, Fearer Axeman (Starting)
Sindri, Dwarven Lord (Starting)
Durin III, Dwarven Lord x2
Dwarven Warrior x3

Possessions/Artifacts: ( 8 )
Ring of Fury x2
Ring of Guile x2
Gimli’s Battle Axe, Vicious Weapon
Axe of Khazad-dum x3

Conditions: ( 9 )
Thorin’s Harp
Loyality Unshaken x4
Preparations x4

Events: ( 13 )
Battle Tested x4
Battle to the Last x4
Out of Darkness x2
Slaked Thirsts x3

Strategy

Gimli, Fearer Axeman and Sindri are here for the obvious, to protect your Dwarven conditions and to play your Dwarven skirmish events off those conditions. The Warriors are here to help annoy the opponent by discarding cards from the top of their deck when played, and Durin is there to play possessions on to make him a monster. Battle Tested is a great +4 pump while you can spot a Dwarven card stacked on your Dwarven condition and then Battle to the Last is a great pump in this deck since during the regroup phase you can exert a Dwarven comp to stack a Dwarven card from your discard pile on Preparations. When you play Loyality Unshaken for each Dwarven card you stack on it you get to draw a card. Slaked Thirts can get an extra card in hand for you during the Maneuver Phase and then during the Regroup Phase you can exert a Dwarf to stack it and cause 2 exertions later on if needed. Ring of Guile can be discarded to get a Dwarven event from your discard pile if you feel you need one if the conditions are bare and the Ring of Fury can heal your dwarves so you can exert them to stack freshly played skirmish events back on to your conditions. Out of Darkness is a descent pump +2 and when you play it you can exert that Dwarf to draw a card. Gimli’s Battle Axe, Vicious Weapon gives you some muster and if at a Battleground site can finish of a minion that recieved the Slaked Thirsts during the Maneuver Phase.

Let me know what you think about this Freeps side and whether it is a good one to pair with my Shadow wounding deck. I was thinking of maybe dropping something for Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver and a few "We Shall Meet Again" so when I move during the Regroup Phase I can exert Pippin and place either White Hand Invader or Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul on top of my Draw Deck to have them ready to exert/wound during my next Shadow Phase.

Thanks and let me know what you think,

NK
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:54 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
NappyKorn wrote:
Minions: (27)
Chieftain of Dunland x3
Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul x4
The Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor x3
Courageous Easterling x3
Grousing Hillman x3
Rapt Hillman x4
Sunland Scout x3
White Hand Invader x4

Not exactly "rainbow" this far, as Gothmog and the Invader are essentially splash minions in a Men site control deck. But so far, so good.

NappyKorn wrote:
Conditions: (5)
Countless Companies x2
Pursuing Horde x3

Again, an obvious Men focus, but not bad choices.

NappyKorn wrote:
Possessions: (5)
Corsair Bow x2
Pavise x3

Yeah, pretty typical Men choices, but good ones to use.

NappyKorn wrote:
Strategy:

My only suggestion might be to squeeze in a Siege Troop: 8/20/4 and easy site control in regroup. And with its huge stats, you can almost guarantee it will win a skirmish and hopefully add a final wound to an exhausted companion.

Another option for sheer beat-em-up potential is White Hand Aggressor, who can be particularly good if you’re facing archery or some other pre-skirmish wounding strategy.

Also, instead of one of the bows (or perhaps better, some other card), you may want to toss in a Corsair Grappling Hook. Better overall chance of getting some bonus site control since it works in skirmish.

Just some thoughts. The deck is quite good as is, but some of these might make it a little better. *shrug* Up to you.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Standard