LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:14 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Alright, folks. There’s only one culture left for my Fellowship of the Ring set, The Road Ahead, and anyone who’s participating in my DC Contest should know which culture that is: Sauron. I put these guys off because I wasn’t sure what to do with them, so I decided to let the contest help me get started. As it turns out, my cards tied for the win, so apparently I know more than I thought. Razz

Anyway, until I get some new cards up, I thought I’d post the winning cards from the contest, since they will be the building blocks upon which I construct the rest of the culture. So here they are. Enjoy! Smile

5Anduin Stalkers Sauron
Minion • Orc
Strength: 10
Vitality: 3
Site: 6
Tracker. Archer.
When you play Anduin Stalkers, if it was played without a roaming penalty, you may exert it to exert a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
“Sam thought he could glimpse black figures running to and fro upon the long shingle-banks that lay under the eastern shore. They seemed very near.”

4Anduin Captain Sauron
Minion • Orc
Strength: 9
Tracker.
The roaming penalty of each Sauron minion is -1.
While you can spot 3 other Sauron minions, Anduin Captain cannot take wounds.
Skirmish: Exert another Sauron tracker to wound a companion that minion is skirmishing.
“A pair of glowing eyes shone out from the darkness....”

2 A Shot In The Dark Sauron
Event • Maneuver
Exert a Sauron tracker to exert a companion (except the Ring-bearer) and draw a card. You may take the next maneuver action.
“At that moment there was a twangmof bowstrings: several arrows whistled over them, and some fell among them.”

The three cards above were designed by elf lvr, and though I didn’t vote for them myself, looking back now, I’m glad they won. (Though I may tweak the lore, because I think that refers to Uruks and I think I already used it in the Isengard culture.) I’m partly glad because they’re old-school and cool, but partly because they work well with MY cards:

3 Orc Assailant Sauron
Minion • Orc
Skirmish: Exert this minion and discard a Sauron card from hand or from play to wound a companion this minion is skirmishing.
For centuries have Sauron’s forces harrassed the free peoples of Middle-earth.

2 Orc Searcher Sauron
Minion • Orc
Strength: 6
Vitality: 2
Tracker.
The roaming penalty for each Sauron minion you play is -1.
When you play this minion, if you can spot another Sauron minion, the Free Peoples player must exert a companion for each Free Peoples culture you can spot over 2.
Sauron has many servants, spread from the gates of Mordor to the far reaches of Middle-earth.

1 Crude Blade Sauron
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Sauron minion.
Bearer is strength +1 for each wound on each character skirmishing bearer.
Orcs become more and more vicious at the sight and smell of blood, especially when on their vile blades.

Also, in what may be a surprising move, I’m going to include a couple other cards from the contest that I really liked. These are from Anvar (and slightly tweaked by me):

1 Mad with Desire Sauron
Condition
Resistance -1
To play, exert a Sauron minion.
Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer). Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time bearer is assigned to skirmish a Sauron minion, you may make the Ring-bearer wear The One Ring until the start of the regroup phase.
Skirmish: Spot the Ring-bearer wearing The One Ring to add a burden. Discard this condition.

3 Tower Spy Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.
Response: If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, exert this minion and spot 3 Sauron trackers to add a burden.
The Great Eye does not sleep - his minions can feel its gaze, ever searching for the Ring.

And this one was designed by lem0nhead:

1 Burden Of Responsibility Sauron
Event • Skirmish
If the Ring-bearer has not worn The One Ring this turn, spot a Sauron minion to add a burden. The Free Peoples player may make the Ring-bearer wear The One Ring to prevent this.
“‘He must never find it....’”

And this one by WeyounsLastClone:

3 Morgul Raider Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.
When you play this minion, you may remove 1 to choose one: draw 2 cards, then discard a card from hand; or make the Free Peoples player draw a card, then discard 2 cards from hand.
The Orcs of Sauron were as focused on self-preservation as on the destruction of their enemy.

I may even add one or two more later. But I think these, collectively, make for a very nice core. Thanks, guys! Applause

As you can see, the themes will be direct wounding, card drawing (and a bit of forcing the FP player to discard), and burdening by forcing the Ring-bearer to wear the Ring...something I wish I’d done with my contest entries and look forward to expanding upon now. This should be fun...in a purely evil way, of course. Twisted Evil I used to dread this culture...now I look forward to it!
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:12 am; edited 17 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:36 pm
None from me?!?!?! I’m highly offended!

Just kidding. Laughing Congrats you all! Great DCs!
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:43 pm
I worry that Anduin Stalkers and Anduin Captain are too good, the first one because he’s a non-unique Sauron archer, and the second because it becomes very powerful when dealing with all trackers with 3 or more vitality. Other than that, they’re all excellent cards. Good choices!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:56 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

5 Anduin Stalkers Sauron
Minion • Orc
Strength: 10
Tracker. Archer.
When you play this minion, if it was played without a roaming penalty, you may exert it to exert a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
“Sam thought he could glimpse black figures running to and fro upon the long shingle-banks that lay under the eastern shore. They seemed very near.”

Thats a directed and non directed archery and a 10 strength minion for 5? Thran is right too hard. Maybe unique would help.

4Anduin Captain Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.
The roaming penalty of each Sauron minion is -1.
While you can spot 3 other Sauron minions, this minion cannot take wounds.
Skirmish: Exert another Sauron tracker to wound a companion that minion is skirmishing.
“A pair of glowing eyes shone out from the darkness....”

The skirmish ability is far too good imho.

1 A Shot In The Dark Sauron
Event • Maneuver
Exert a Sauron tracker to exert a companion (except the Ring-bearer) and draw a card. You may take the next maneuver action.
“At that moment there was a twangmof bowstrings: several arrows whistled over them, and some fell among them.”

Needs to cost 2 as followed by hate this is just wrong.

3 Orc Assailant Sauron
Minion • Orc
Skirmish: Exert this minion and discard a Sauron card from hand or from play to wound a companion this minion is skirmishing.

Balanced.

2 Orc Searcher Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.
When you play this minion, if you can spot another Sauron minion, the Free Peoples player must exert a companion for each Free Peoples culture you can spot over 2.
Sauron has many servants, spread from the gates of Mordor to the far reaches of Middle-earth.

Hasnt that title been used before? Sound.

1 Crude Blade Sauron
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Orcs become more and more vicious at the sight and smell of blood, especially when on their vile blades.

Fine.

0 Mad with Desire Sauron
Condition
Resistance -1
Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer). Limit one per companion.
Each time bearer is assigned to skirmish a Sauron minion, you may make the Ring-bearer wear The One Ring until the start of the regroup phase.
Skirmish: Spot the Ring-bearer wearing The One Ring to add a burden. Discard this condition.

Too nasty to be able to play 4 copies. Remove 1 per bearer and add •.

3 Tower Spy Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.
Response: If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, exert this minion and spot 3 Sauron trackers to add a burden.
The Great Eye does not sleep - his minions can feel its gaze, ever searching for the Ring.

Make it spot 2 trackers but reduce to 2 vitality.

And this one was designed by lem0nhead:

Event • Skirmish
If the Ring-bearer has not worn The One Ring this turn, spot a Sauron minion to add a burden. The Free Peoples player may make the Ring-bearer wear The One Ring to prevent this.

Fantastic card, superb, best one in the set. Thumbs Up Razz Anyway glad you picked this as it was the only one i was happy with out of my three entries.

3 Morgul Raider Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.
When you play this minion, you may remove 1 to choose one: draw 2 cards, then discard a card from hand; or make the Free Peoples player draw a card, then discard 2 cards from hand.
The Orcs of Sauron were as focused on self-preservation as on the destruction of their enemy.

Cool.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:16 am
If Dain didn’t vote for me, Thran didn’t vote for me, and lem0n didn’t vote for me, HOW did I actually win (well, tie, but...) that?

Shocked

Quote:
Thats a directed and non directed archery and a 10 strength minion for 5? Thran is right too hard. Maybe unique would help.

Unique here would have been a good thing.

Quote:
The skirmish ability is far too good imho.

Honestly, I run a Sauron grind deck, and my trackers usually, what with Hates and Under the Watching Eye, and, well, just not having many in the deck (beyond UtWE they’re not so usefull) they end up being exhausted when they do come out, more often than not. This guy just lets you replace your exert-to-wound guys with more trackers, but there’s the added disadvantage that he could get overwhelmed or otherwise inconvinienced. Plus, you actually would have to draw and play the guy to get it to work with your trackers.

And notice the guy himself can’t actually give out any wounds, so you’d have to play him with a host of other guys to make him worth it at all.

Quote:

That followed by Hate was the point. But if you think it’s too harsh, a cost of 2 might not be bad.

DáinIronfoot wrote:

3 Orc Assailant Sauron
Minion • Orc

Big exert-to-wound guy, but with a downside. I like.

Quote:
2 Orc Searcher Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.

Classic Sauron. Nice!

Quote:
1 Crude Blade Sauron
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2

Berserker orcs? I can deal with that.

Quote:
0 Mad with Desire Sauron
Condition
Resistance -1
Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer). Limit one per companion.

Neat.

Quote:
3 Tower Spy Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.

Nice with the card above. This is going to be a neat theme, I think.

Quote:
Event • Skirmish

Nasty with the above cards.

Quote:
3 Morgul Raider Sauron
Minion • Orc
Tracker.

Laughing I love this card! A bunch of classic Sauron rolled into one neat beastie.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:31 am
elf lvr wrote:

Honestly, I run a Sauron grind deck, and my trackers usually, what with Hates and Under the Watching Eye, and, well, just not having many in the deck (beyond UtWE they’re not so usefull) they end up being exhausted when they do come out, more often than not. This guy just lets you replace your exert-to-wound guys with more trackers, but there’s the added disadvantage that he could get overwhelmed or otherwise inconvinienced. Plus, you actually would have to draw and play the guy to get it to work with your trackers.

Might concede on that point.

Quote:

That followed by Hate was the point. But if you think it’s too harsh, a cost of 2 might not be bad.

I know it was the point but it seemed just too nasty to be able to take a comp down with no way of preventing. Meh maybe its what the red eyes need.
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:01 am
He could add a prevention method (burdens or cards from hand, perhaps...)

I sort of like that idea.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:25 am
I tweaked EL’s cards, since he seemed amenable to some recommended changes. I also upped the cost of Mad with Desire (quickly becoming one of my favorite cards) from 0 to 1, though I would be agreeable to increasing it to 2 if people think it needs it. I do NOT want to make it unique, though, as I think that makes it way too weak. I already nerfed it by adding the "limit 1 per bearer"....
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:29 am
You dont think a card that forces the RB to wear the ring without a get out clause just cos you put gandy or gorn in a fight would be too powerful if not unique? Its bad enough taking out your best fighter with it but if this goes out 4 times youre scuppered!

Cant agree with that. One of them is bound to get assigned and then bang, you can chuck them all for 4 burdens. Broken as the day is long.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:34 am
Fair enough. Okay, there are one of three fixes I can think of:

- Require bearer also be assigned to a Sauron minion for the skirmish ability to work. Then you can’t just discard all four at once as you noted was possible.

- Add a "get-out clause" for the FP bearer, either to prevent forcing the wearing of The One Ring or somehow preventing the skirmish ability.

- Have this condition play only during the regroup phase. Then it takes more work to have minions that can exert to play it in the first place, and the FP player has more of a chance to discard it before it ever triggers. AND it weakens the effectiveness of all the exert-to-wound minions. Personally, I like this option best. Thumbs Up

What do you think?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards