LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:41 am
lem0nhead wrote:
You dont think a card that forces the RB to wear the ring without a get out clause just cos you put gandy or gorn in a fight would be too powerful if not unique?

No, it’s just good. If you give them a get-out clause, well, your deck won’t work. It needs some sure-fire (or close enough to it) way to get the ring put on so the whole strategy can function.

Quote:
Cant agree with that. One of them is bound to get assigned and then bang, you can chuck them all for 4 burdens. Broken as the day is long.

True, but Sauron only has ONE card for condition retrieval (some obscure tower block card, can’t remember the name) so if you DO ditch all four at once, your shadow can’t work, since you have no sure-fire way to ensure they put the ring on.

I have a hunch that in Dain’s set, this will be one of the easiest ways to get them to put on the ring, so you can’t dump them all at once unless you think you can get 10 burdens all in one go. You have, with four of these, only four real sure-fire ways to make the ring-bearer put on the one ring, and thing is, it isn’t sure-fire. They could not assign the companion to skirmish, it is possible.

True, with 4 out, one companion is bound to be assigned, but like I said before, you can’t ditch the others at the same time if you want your strategy to work.

At best, the Freeps gets to choose when your shadow functions.

And they’re very subject to removal, like Namarie or Pallando.

A card becomes broken when it becomes part of a combo that basically ensures your victory, without any way of stopping it. So long as Dain doesn’t have a way to add 10 burdens all in one go, I think they’re all right.
Last edited by elf lvr on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 am; edited 1 time in totalHappy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Fair enough. Okay, there are one of three fixes I can think of:

- Require bearer also be assigned to a Sauron minion for the skirmish ability to work. Then you can’t just discard all four at once as you noted was possible.

Doesnt work, as only delays the burden adding til each skirmish is resolved. Veto.

- Add a "get-out clause" for the FP bearer, either to prevent forcing the wearing of The One Ring or somehow preventing the skirmish ability.

Always useful.

- Have this condition play only during the regroup phase. Then it takes more work to have minions that can exert to play it in the first place, and the FP player has more of a chance to discard it before it ever triggers. AND it weakens the effectiveness of all the exert-to-wound minions. Personally, I like this option best. Thumbs Up

Hmmm not the best solution. A long way round it.

Why not make it unique? Thin and Stretched was. If you really really dont want to then get out clause gets my vote.

What do you think?

More opinions people. Am i insane or is Dain on the path of unenlightenment?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:46 am
lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

- Add a "get-out clause" for the FP bearer, either to prevent forcing the wearing of The One Ring or somehow preventing the skirmish ability.

Always useful.

See above post.

Quote:
Why not make it unique? Thin and Stretched was. If you really really dont want to then get out clause gets my vote.

It’ll never work unique. One companion with that condition, they’ll never get assigned.

Thin and Stretched worked when the R-B WASN’T assigned, so of course it was good unique.

Unique on this would cripple the strategy.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:47 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
The funny thing is that I’m vehemently defending a card I didn’t even make! Razz

I see good points from both EL and lem0n, and good arguments both for changing it somehow AND for leaving it alone.

So, I will wait for a couple more people to toss their opinion into the ring before I make any changes. But again, I’m inclined to have it play only during regroup, which I think nerfs it effectively, but not so much that it’s impotent.

What do others think? Join the debate! Very Happy
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:48 am; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:48 am
[quote="lem0nhead"]
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Fair enough. Okay, there are one of three fixes I can think of:

- Require bearer also be assigned to a Sauron minion for the skirmish ability to work. Then you can’t just discard all four at once as you noted was possible.

Doesnt work, as only delays the burden adding til each skirmish is resolved. Veto.

Well, this way they’d have to play 4 minions and you’d have to assign all of them to the proper places.

If a change needs to be made, this is the one, I think.

Sorry for the double-post.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:50 am
Well thats a reason to use it then, if youre saying theyll never assign them that means youve eliminated the best companion of your choice for fighting. Thats awesome. Plus there is the card i designed for the contest which makes you put the ring on or gets you a burden.

P.s. The card you were thinking of is Dead Marshes.

P.p.s. Stop posting so fast my posts are out of order!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:56 am
Sorry.

Well, when using a corruption deck, you shouldn’t much care which companion gets not-assigned (unless it’s Gandalf with Foe-Hammer and Pallando). Corruption doesn’t much care if their minions get beat, usually.

Point is, really, the strategy needs a powerful card to make the Freeps put the ring on or it isn’t going to work. Agreed?

Now, if you give them a get-out clause on that powerful card, to make the strategy work, you’re going to have to make it so they CAN’T use the get-out clause.

For example, get-out is add threats, you max threats.

Which means a two-purpose shadow, which doesn’t work.

So, you need some card to get the Ring on. Is it going to be this one, or something else?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:18 pm
Mad With Desire is absolutely fine as is. There are no current Sauron cards that I can bring to mind to key off wearing The One Ring, so what’s the problem? It should definitely be non-unique, though costing 1 is good, but any more makes it no longer worth it. Yes, it’s quite powerful, but so it should be given that conditions that play on and inconvenience companions are one of Sauron’s strongest points.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:30 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Should I have it play only during regroup? I’m starting to like that idea the more I think about it.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:38 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Should I have it play only during regroup? I’m starting to like that idea the more I think about it.

No that ruins the whole point of it, makes it too cluttered, and does in fact make it impotent. I really honestly think the card is fine as is.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards