LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:11 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Okay, moved an ability from the second to the first to make that version better, and added a new ability to the second and nerfed its already-existing ability.

In short, they should both be better balanced and overall more useful now. Are they?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:52 pm
Been a while since I’ve reviewed your stuff.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Squint-eyed Southerner, Ill-Favoured Fellow Dunland
Minion • Man
Strength: 9
Vitality: 2
Site: 2
When you play Squint-eyed Southerner, you may name one: Isengard, Sauron, Wraith; he gains that culture until the end of the turn.
Each Man of Squint-eyed Southerner’s culture is strength +1.
Shadow: Exert Squint-eyed Southerner to reveal X cards from the top of the Free Peoples player’s draw deck, where X is the number of Isengard, Sauron, and Wraith minions you can spot.
“‘If room isn’t found for them, they’ll find it for themselves. They’ve a right to live, same as other folk.’”

Nifty. Thumbs Up

DáinIronfoot wrote:
4Squint-eyed Southerner, Nobody’s Friend Wraith
Minion • Man
To play, spot a Nazgûl (or 2 Man minions).
When you play Squint-eyed Southerner, you may exert him to discard X cards at random from the Free Peoples player’s hand, where X is the number of other Wraith, Sauron, and Isengard Men you can spot.
Each time you play or transfer a Wraith condition onto a companion, you may exhaust a Wraith Man with at least 2 vitality to add a burden.
“In one of the windows he caught a glimpse of a sallow face with sly, slanting eyes; but it vanished at once.”

The spotting requirement holds him in check nicely.

Neat cards! GP
I had to put something here.
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:09 pm
Perhaps the first Bill would benefit from losing the word ’Mischievous’ from his subtitle; ’Greedy Bree-Lander’ sounds a bit cleaner.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man
When you play Squint-eyed Southerner, you may name one: Isengard, Sauron, Wraith; he gains that culture until the end of the turn.
Shadow: Exert Squint-eyed Southerner to reveal X cards from the top of the Free Peoples player’s draw deck, where X is the number of Isengard, Sauron, and Wraith minions you can spot.
“‘If room isn’t found for them, they’ll find it for themselves. They’ve a right to live, same as other folk.’”

I think this card is rather too cluttered. I’d probably remove the whole last ability and up the strength boost to +2. Or perhaps streamline the last ability to reveal a fixed number of cards. There’s nothing wrong with either ability, I just think it’s a lot of complex stuff to have on a card.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man
When you play Squint-eyed Southerner, you may exert him to discard X cards at random from the Free Peoples player’s hand, where X is the number of other Wraith, Sauron, and Isengard Men you can spot.
Each time you play or transfer a Wraith condition onto a companion, you may exhaust a Wraith Man with at least 2 vitality to add a burden.
“In one of the windows he caught a glimpse of a sallow face with sly, slanting eyes; but it vanished at once.”

Not sure I understand the connection between Wraith and Isengard Men. Could you tell us your thoughts on that?

Again, just far too much to have on a card for my liking. I reckon that this one’s first ability should be the other’s only ability, and likewise this one should only have the second.

Talking of the second ability, the wording isn’t entirely clear. Firstly, I think you should streamline it to simply exerting Wraith Men. Secondly, Does it trigger when you play a Wraith condition to your support area? If not, you need to make that clearer by putting the transferring bit in brackets. Also, are there any Wraith conditions to speak of that play directly on companions?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:26 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
The second Bill may not look incredible compared to other versions, but consider the combo he makes with the Wraith version of today’s minion. Twisted Evil

Minion • Man
dunland? coolio

Minion • Man

works.i don’t feel like looking for the combo Wink
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:18 am
I know SeS’s text is rather complex, and I’ll look for a way to potentially simplify it. But I promise the rest are much, much simpler. Read on to see what I mean...and to see where all that FP hand manipulation that seems so-so can be very, very big. Twisted Evil Enjoy!

3Harry Goatleaf, Keeper of the West-gate Wraith
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
The twilight cost of each other Wraith and Sauron Man is -1.
Each time the Free Peoples player discards a card from hand, you may exert a Wraith or Sauron minion to add 1 (or 2 if you can spot another Wraith or Sauron Man).
“‘Your business is your own, no doubt, but it’s my business to ask questions after nightfall.’”

3 Bree-land Recluse Sauron
Minion • Man
Strength: 7
While the fellowship is in region 1, this minion is strength +2.
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must discard a card at random from hand.
“The Men of Bree were brown-haired, broad, and...they belonged to nobody but themselves....”

3 Man of Staddle Sauron
Minion • Man
Strength: 12
This minion is strength -1 for each card in the Free Peoples player’s hand.
“‘Out of the way! Watch where you’re going!’”

More to come. Hope you’re liking the theme that’s shaping up here.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:31 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Minion • Man
Each time the Free Peoples player discards a card from hand, you may exert a Wraith or Sauron minion to add 1 (or 2 if you can spot another Wraith or Sauron Man).
“‘Your business is your own, no doubt, but it’s my business to ask questions after nightfall.’”

LMAO as soon as i saw that i thought he’s guarding moria now is he? His title is a bit watcher in the water dont you think? His parenthesis is daft cos you can always spot another minion if you have just exerted one!

Minion • Man
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must discard a card at random from hand.
“The Men of Bree were brown-haired, broad, and...they belonged to nobody but themselves....”

Fair enough.

3 Man of Staddle Sauron
Minion • Man
Strength: 13

Wow thats nasty. Dunno maybe strength 12. Maybe he’s just a cool powerful minion.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:40 am
lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man

LMAO as soon as i saw that i thought he’s guarding moria now is he? His title is a bit watcher in the water dont you think? His parenthesis is daft cos you can always spot another minion if you have just exerted one!

Yeah, I thought someone might get a kick out of the subtitle. Razz But he IS the keeper of the West-gate of Bree. Razz Anyway, while it’s true you just exerted a Wraith or Sauron minion, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you just exerted a Man. Read it again, closely. I did that to encourage using him with other Men, but allow him to still be useful enough when splashed with other minions (like Nazzies).

lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
3 Man of Staddle Sauron
Minion • Man

Wow thats nasty. Dunno maybe strength 12. Maybe he’s just a cool powerful minion.

Funny enough, his strength WAS 12 and I changed it to 13 at the last minute. This guy is sort of a cousin to Man of Bree (hence the similiar name), though in reverse. I’ll consider reducing his strength, though I’ll probably wait on another review or two first. He’s a big key to all this force-discarding other Men have, obviously, so I want him to be pretty powerful. Just not TOO powerful. Whistle

Thanks for the speedy review! GP
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Thranduil
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:56 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man

Fair enough. Nice to see him unique! Very Happy

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man

Apart from discarding cards at random being a serious NPE, seems fine.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
3 Man of Staddle Sauron
Minion • Man

I love this guy. Reminds me of that huge uruk that gets worse if you play an event. I think strength 12 will be better, though.

Also, I still want to know your thoughts about tying Wraith/Sauron Men with Isengard.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:55 pm
Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man

Fair enough. Nice to see him unique! Very Happy

As he always should have been, Decipher! Evil or Very Mad

Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
3 Man of Staddle Sauron
Minion • Man

I love this guy. Reminds me of that huge uruk that gets worse if you play an event. I think strength 12 will be better, though.

Okay, now that there’s TWO votes for 12, I guess I have little choice. I am a man of the people! Very Happy

Thranduil wrote:
Also, I still want to know your thoughts about tying Wraith/Sauron Men with Isengard.

You’re asking why I made the connection with Squinty?

He was one of Saruman’s trusted servants, so that’s why he makes sense (to me, at least) as an Isengard Man, as well as having a connection to them. (In fact, don’t be too shocked if he shows up in the next set AS an Isengard Man, since he’s prominently mentioned again.) He was originally a Dunlending though, which is why one version starts off in the Dunland culture.

Saruman sent him to Bree to spy on the Hobbits, but he was waylaid by the Witch-king himself on the way there, and sent along to Bree now as a DOUBLE-agent of Saruman AND the Nazgul. Once he arrived in Bree, he allied himself with Ferny, Goatleaf, and other troublemakers...hence the connection to Sauron.

So, while Ferny and Goatleaf dabble in Wraith and Sauron, Squinty goes a step further and ALSO has some Isengard and a little of his Dunland heritage mixed in. He works for seemingly everyone, so that’s why he’s kind of the ultimate mutli-culture minion. Mr. Green

Make better sense now?
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Thranduil
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:57 pm
Great, thanks. GP

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards