LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
I know SeS’s text is rather complex, and I’ll look for a way to potentially simplify it. But I promise the rest are much, much simpler. Read on to see what I mean...and to see where all that FP hand manipulation that seems so-so can be very, very big. Twisted Evil Enjoy!

3Harry Goatleaf, Keeper of the West-gate Wraith
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 2
Site: 2
The twilight cost of each other Wraith and Sauron Man is -1.
Each time the Free Peoples player discards a card from hand, you may exert a Wraith or Sauron minion to add 1 (or 2 if you can spot another Wraith or Sauron Man).
“‘Your business is your own, no doubt, but it’s my business to ask questions after nightfall.’”
cool

3 Bree-land Recluse Sauron
Minion • Man
Strength: 7
While the fellowship is in region 1, this minion is strength +2.
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must discard a card at random from hand.
“The Men of Bree were brown-haired, broad, and...they belonged to nobody but themselves....”
up strength to 8 IMSO

3 Man of Staddle Sauron
Minion • Man
Strength: 12
This minion is strength -1 for each card in the Free Peoples player’s hand.
“‘Out of the way! Watch where you’re going!’”

cool
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:19 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Here are two more that follow a slightly different theme, but one that was already at least hinted at with the Wraith versions of Ferny and Squinty. As you’re probably noticing by now, there is little difference in many ways between Sauron and Wraith Men, and lots of crossover. I imagine someone who used Men of one culture or the other would rarely (if ever) do so exclusively, and probably would toss at least a couple Men of the other culture in as well.

But I digress. Here are the cards...enjoy!

2 Shadowy Bree-lander Wraith
Minion • Man
Strength: 5
To play, spot a Wraith or Sauron Man.
This minion is strength +1 for each burden you can spot.
“He did not like the looks of the men that had gone out.”

5Suspicious Onlookers Sauron
Minion • Man
Strength: 10
Vitality: 3
When you play Suspicious Onlookers, you may exert it twice and spot another Sauron or Wraith Man to add a burden. Then, if you can spot a Hobbit, add another burden.
Each time a Sauron Man wins a skirmish, you may exert Suspicious Onlookers to make the Free Peoples player discard a card from hand.
“All the company drew away from Pippin and Sam, who found themselves left alone in a comer, and eyed darkly and doubtfully from a distance.”

I wanted to make this guy splashable into either burdening decks or the "main" Sauron/Wraith Man strategy of controlling and abusing the FP player’s hand, but I didn’t want him to be able to do both well at the same time...hence all the exertions. Hopefully it keeps him in check.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:24 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Shadowy Bree-lander Sauron
Minion • Man
To play, spot a Sauron or Wraith Man.

No complaints. Again similar to one of my minions from the White Council...

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Minion • Man
When you play Suspicious Onlookers, you may exert it twice to add a burden for each of the following you can spot: another Sauron Man, Wraith Man, Hobbit.
Each time a Sauron Man wins a skirmish, you may exert Suspicious Onlookers to make the Free Peoples player discard a card from hand.
“All the company drew away from Pippin and Sam, who found themselves left alone in a comer, and eyed darkly and doubtfully from a distance.”

I wouldn’t splash him in most burden decks. Unless your using Sauron or Wraith Men, it’s 2 exertions for 1 burden if you’re lucky. Perhaps exert him to give an unreasonable choice to the FP player like discarding cards from hand or adding burdens.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:01 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

2 Shadowy Bree-lander Sauron
Minion • Man
To play, spot a Sauron or Wraith Man.

Hmmm. Not sure. *Think* he’s balanced.

Minion • Man
When you play Suspicious Onlookers, you may exert it twice to add a burden for each of the following you can spot: another Sauron Man, Wraith Man, Hobbit.

The phrasing sounds odd with the name and calling them it. I like your balance on cant do both. I hate discarding card from hand but ok. I dont think it should be that easy to add 2 burdens. Should be another sauron OR wraith man.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:55 pm
Got a foursome of cards today, and hey!...they’re not minions! Smile

These cards all work directly with at least one of the Sauron/Wraith Men I’ve posted. Remember that certain minions have text that do things when a burden is added, or when a card is discarded from the FP player’s hand, or just get better when they have few (or no) cards in hand. So guess what sort of things today’s cards do? Angel

1 In Their Clutch Sauron
Event • Maneuver
Spot 3 Men minions and exert a Sauron or Wraith Man to discard an ally or follower.
“‘They will drive these wretches to some evil work: Ferny, and some of the strangers, and, maybe, the gatekeeper too.’”

...Well, with the exception of this one. I figured that, with some notable allies and followers being from Bree, it made sense to mix in a little ally/follower hate among these Men.

The REST of today’s cards do the sort of stuff I was talking about, I swear! Razz

2 Enemies All Around Wraith
Event • Maneuver
Toil 1.
Spot a Nazgûl and either a Wraith or Sauron Man to make the Free Peoples player choose one: add a burden; discard a card from the top of his or her draw deck; or discard a card from hand.
“‘Something may happen in the night, before we leave Bree.’”

A handy little Swiss Army knife for whatever particular Sauron/Wraith Man strategy floats your fancy. Twisted Evil

1 Southern Spies Sauron (semi-reprint)
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, spot a Sauron minion (or a Wraith Man) to make the Free Peoples player discard his or her hand.
“‘They will know all the news now, for they have visited Bill Ferny; and probably that Southerner was a spy as well.’”

No, this one is NOT new, but it certainly gains new meaning here, don’t it? Imagine this with the new Harry Goatleaf ("each time the Free Peoples player discards a card from hand, you may exert a Wraith or Sauron minion to add 1 (or 2 if you can spot another Wraith or Sauron Man)") or Man of Staddle (cheap and 12 strength, but -1 for each card in the FP hand). Yowch!

Of course, it would help to have some mechanism for making them wear the Ring. Hmmm. Think Oh, I’ve got it! Idea

2 An Unknown Purpose Sauron
Event • Maneuver
Exert a Sauron or Wraith Man to make the Free Peoples player choose to either add a burden or make the Ring-bearer put on The One Ring until the regroup phase.
“But there was one swarthy Bree-lander, who stood looking at them with a knowing and half-mocking expression that made them feel very uncomfortable. Presently he slipped out of the door, followed by the squint-eyed southerner: the two had been whispering together a good deal during the evening.”

Play some real mind games with the opponent. "Well, it’s tough to add the burden with the Bill Ferny, Wicked and Scornful he has out, but if I wear the Ring he might play Southern Spies and raze my hand...ARGH!" *brain explodes* Mwaha. Twisted Evil
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:21 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 In Their Clutch Sauron
Event • Maneuver
Spot 3 Men minions and exert a Sauron or Wraith Man to discard an ally or follower.
“‘They will drive these wretches to some evil work: Ferny, and some of the strangers, and, maybe, the gatekeeper too.’”

Hmmm... Like the concept and the card, but not too sold on the cost. Maybe just exert a Sauron/Wraith Man.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Enemies All Around Sauron
Event • Maneuver
Toil 1.
Spot a Nazgûl and either a Sauron or Wraith Man to make the Free Peoples player choose one: add a burden; discard a card from the top of his or her draw deck; or discard a card from hand.

Not sure how well this sort of deck will work if you need both Nazgul and Men (as in the card above). I understand the flavour connection, but you might have to forgo it in favour of gameplay. Perhaps instead of a Nazgul have a few Wraith conditions? Perhaps you could even make Wraith conditions representing the Nazgul’s influence on the Men of Bree.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Southern Spies Sauron (reprint)
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, spot a Sauron minion to make the Free Peoples player discard his or her hand.
“‘They will know all the news now, for they have visited Bill Ferny; and probably that Southerner was a spy as well.’”

This is obviously a cool card, but doesn’t work hugely with your Men. Change the reprint to spotting a Wraith or Sauron Man and it would be fine, but I’d worry that you’d suddenly be caught with only Wraith Men and would be unable to use such an event.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Maneuver
Exert a Sauron or Wraith Man to make the Free Peoples player choose to either add a burden or make the Ring-bearer put on The One Ring until the regroup phase.
“But there was one swarthy Bree-lander, who stood looking at them with a knowing and half-mocking expression that made them feel very uncomfortable. Presently he slipped out of the door, followed by the squint-eyed southerner: the two had been whispering together a good deal during the evening.”

Like it, but perhaps too expensive. With the exertion, it could cost 1 (like Resistance Becomes Unbearable).

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:15 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

1 In Their Clutch Sauron
Event • Maneuver
coolio!

Event • Maneuver
Toil 1.
Spot a Nazgûl and either a Sauron or Wraith Man to make the Free Peoples player choose one: add a burden; discard a card from the top of his or her draw deck; or discard a card from hand.
cool.

Event • Maneuver

I would make it regroup maybe...IDK. its probably fine as is though
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

1 In Their Clutch Sauron
Event • Maneuver

Right.

Event • Maneuver
Toil 1.

Ok.

Event • Maneuver

Hmmm maybe 3 not sure. It seems a way to easy way to do it.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:20 pm
Tweaked Southern Spies as Thran recommended. Since there was some debate on the cost of An Unknown Purpose, I left it right in the middle...meaning it’s unchanged. Razz If someone wants to make a further argument for changing it, I’m still listening...but when one reviewer says a card is too expensive for what it does and another says it’s too cheap, I usually assume it’s good to go as is. Very Happy

Here’s a couple more, including a possession for these Men to use. Enjoy!

0Ferny’s Pipe Sauron
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be a Sauron or Wraith Man.
When you play Ferny’s Pipe, you may discard a pipeweed.
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns bearer to a skirmish, he or she must add 2 or discard a card from hand. If bearer is Bill Ferny, the Free Peoples player must repeat this once.
“He was smoking a short black pipe. As they approached he took it out of his mouth and spat.”

Remember, pipes and pipeweed are big again in my sets (and in The Road Ahead especially), so the pipeweed discarding alone makes this dangerous. The rest just makes it all the more painful. Twisted Evil

1 Swarthy and Sneering Sauron
Event • Skirmish
Make a companion (except the Ring-bearer) skirmishing a Sauron or Wraith Man strength -2 (or -3 if that Man is unique).
“He had heavy black brows, and dark scornful eyes; his large mouth curled in a sneer.”

They need SOME kind of pump, so here’s a simple one. Made more sense to me for them to reduce strength rather than get stronger themselves, but I’m happy to listen to any arguments for going the other way if anyone feels strongly about it. I know some people get funny with strength reducers.... *shrug*
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:25 am; edited 6 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0Ferny’s Pipe Sauron
Possession • Pipe
Bearer must be a Sauron or Wraith Man.
When you play this Ferny’s Pipe, you may discard a pipeweed.
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns bearer to a skirmish, he or she must add 2 or discard a card from hand.
“He was smoking a short black pipe. As they approached he took it out of his mouth and spat.”

I think "this" is unnecessary. Great card! Thumbs Up

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Swarthy and Sneering Sauron
Event • Skirmish
Make a companion skirmishing a Sauron or Wraith Man strength -2 (or -3 if that Man is unique).
“He had heavy black brows, and dark scornful eyes; his large mouth curled in a sneer.”

Awesome! GP
I had to put something here.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards