LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

3Gamling, Defender of Helm’s Dike Rohan
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Signet: Théoden
Valiant. Hunter 1. While you can spot Théoden or 2 Rohan Men, Gamling’s twilight cost is -1.
Each time another Rohan Man is killed, Gamling is strength +2 and damage +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘Helm! Helm! Forth Helmingas!’ he shouted as he leaped down the stair from the Rock with many men of the Westfold at his back.”

I think you should cut twilight cost to 2. then you can start him with theoden. as is he is horribly overshadowed by the other 2 versions

Yes and no. Keep in mind this version of Théoden, from the very first post in this thread:

3Théoden, First Marshal of the Mark Rohan
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Valiant. Hunter 1.
The twilight cost of each other valiant companion is -1 (to a minimum of 1).
The twilight cost of each Rohan possession played on a valiant companion is -1.
“‘Every man and strong lad able to bear arms, all who have horses, let them be ready in the saddle at the gate ere the second hour from noon!’”

I designed that specifically to pair with Rohan’s many 2-cost companions, but he also combos especially well with others like the above version of Gamling. Combine them in the starting fellowship, and you can STILL get both! Very Happy

Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
3Erkenbrand, Rider of the Rohirrim Rohan
Companion • Man
Valiant. Hunter 1. While you can spot a valiant Man, Erkenbrand’s twilight cost is -1.
Regroup: Heal a minion to discard a Shadow condition. You may repeat this for each other valiant companion you can spot. If the fellowship does not move again this turn, wound each companion.
“‘Help now to repair the evil in which you have joined.’”

The ’you may repeat this’ clause is redundant - it’s a special ability, not an event, so you can always repeat it for as many wounds as there are. With that in mind, I’m going to say that I think it’s ridiculously good condition discard for a culture that have basically NONE (and the best way of doing it has been X-ed). In fact, I’d consider this an exceptional deal on a Gandalf card, which after all has condition discard as one of its fortes. I love the healing mechanic (obviously - I made whole strategies out of it for my Hobbit block Very Happy) but it needs to be either MUCH harder (look at Firefoot, Eomer’s Steed) or some other effect.

Alright, I fixed the wording of the ability so that it works as intended, and threw in an extra cost to the ability that should keep it better balanced. Remember, if you use it and DON’T double-move, you have to wound EACH companion.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:55 pm
I still think it’s too much, and lem0n would almost certainly agree with me.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:32 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

3Gamling, Defender of Helm’s Dike Rohan
Companion • Man
Valiant. Hunter 1. While you can spot Théoden or 2 Rohan Men, Gamling’s twilight cost is -1.
Each time another Rohan Man is killed, Gamling is strength +2 and damage +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘Helm! Helm! Forth Helmingas!’ he shouted as he leaped down the stair from the Rock with many men of the Westfold at his back.”

Overshadowed by the others like SoP says. I would never use a companion that relies on something i have set out to avoid. The ONLY way i would consider using this is if it said +8 strength and damage +2 then id go around killing my companions otherwise he is useless.

Companion • Man
Valiant. Hunter 1. While you can spot a valiant Man, Erkenbrand’s twilight cost is -1.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may heal a minion and add 2 to discard a Shadow condition. You may repeat this for each other valiant companion you can spot. Then, unless the fellowship moves again this turn, wound each companion.

Its balanced DI ur comment about the wounding certainly offsets the power but Thran is right i will always disagree with it on the general terms of its so wrong to give rohan condition discard. Instead of making the downside match the benefit just dont bother with the benefit in the first place, do something else. No companion i know can discard conditions in their gametext let alone the first one of its kind to be from Rohan.....
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 am
lem0nhead wrote:
No companion i know can discard conditions in their gametext let alone the first one of its kind to be from Rohan.....

Treebeard, Keeper of the Watchwood is the only one I can think of. Supports your point even more, as we’re talking about a companion of the best condition-discarding culture. Though I’m normally all for ’breaking the meta’, I wholeheartedly agree with lem0n, which I think is probably the first time on matters of cultural fortes! Razz

Firefoot, Eomer’s Steed, is fine, because it’s very costly. Even with a huge drawback, the fact that it’s so easy to get on Erkenbrand makes it too much. If you couldn’t repeat it I’d be much happier. If the cost was much greater, I’d also be happier. I’d be even happier if he had a different text and the discarding conditions was put onto a possession that he can bear (if you’re dead set on having it).

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 am
Okay, you said Gamling was too weak and Erkenbrand too powerful. Those problems should both be remedied now. Let me know what you think of the changes.

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:16 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

2Gamling, Defender of Helm’s Dike Rohan
Companion • Man
Valiant. Hunter 1. To play, spot a valiant Man (or Théoden).
Maneuver: Play a Rohan possession on Gamling to heal him or a Rohan ally.

Better, although i was hoping youd have got rid of the dying rohan bit altogether. Relying on you dying is such a bad tactic. Its like wanting ur conditions discarded or something - foolish!

Companion • Man
At the start of the regroup phase, you may heal a minion to remove 2 (or 3 if the fellowship is moving from a battleground or plains site). You may repeat this for each other valiant companion you can spot.

Sweet!

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:33 am
lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Gamling, Defender of Helm’s Dike Rohan
Companion • Man
Valiant. Hunter 1. To play, spot a valiant Man (or Théoden).
Maneuver: Play a Rohan possession on Gamling to heal him or a Rohan ally.

Better, although i was hoping youd have got rid of the dying rohan bit altogether. Relying on you dying is such a bad tactic. Its like wanting ur conditions discarded or something - foolish!

Duly noted. I changed it to "killed or discarded" so that you can have a little control over it. Villagers are easy to discard, if you remember. Twisted Evil

Thranduil
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:29 pm
I love both! Thumbs Up

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:18 pm
As we dive fully into the Helm’s Deep portion of Rohan, let’s do some events, shall we? Enjoy!

0 Forth Helmingas! Rohan
Event • Maneuver
Spot Théoden and exert a Rohan companion with the Théoden signet to make that companion defender +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘Is it not said that no foe has ever taken the Hornburg, if men defended it?’”

The title and text of this one are quite similiar to another TTT-era card. Can you guess what it is? Whistle

1 Stop This Rat-hole Rohan
Event • Skirmish
Make a Rohan Man strength +1. If that Man has resistance 4 or more, he or she cannot be overwhelmed unless his or her strength is tripled.
“Their onset was fierce and sudden, and the Orcs gave way before them....all were slain or driven shrieking into the chasm of the Deep to fall before the guardians of the hidden caves.”

Not sure if this is overpowered or not, as events that do the triple-overwhelm thing are rather rare, and usually focus on Hobbits. But I THINK this is probably okay.

3 Bowmen On The Walls Rohan
Event • Archery
Toil 1.
Exert a valiant Man to make the fellowship archery total +1 for each Rohan fortification you can spot (limit +3).
“Then at last an answer came: a storm of arrows met them, and a hail of stones. They wavered, broke, and fled back....”

Now we get into some REAL fun. Twisted Evil This card is obviously a sign of things to come, since the game currently has only 3 Rohan fortifications...and they’re all unique. So why the limit unless I intended to make some more, hmm? Angel
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:20 pm
The last one seems a bit overpowered... maybe 3, or exert 2 Men? Think
I had to put something here.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards