LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:36 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Okay, here are a handful of cards that use fortifications to reduce minions’ strength...and taking a page from AP, they aren’t Rohan-exclusive either. Smile Enjoy!

1Barricaded Entrance Rohan
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:
Discard this condition to make a minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -3.
Response: If another fortification is about to be discarded by a Shadow card, spot a valiant companion and discard this condition to prevent that.
“But the Hornburg still held fast, like an island in the sea. Its gates lay in ruin; but over the barricade of beams and stones within no enemy as yet had passed.”

This may be our last fortification, but it’s a nice flexible one to close out with, eh?

2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish
Spot a Rohan Man to make a minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -1 for each fortification you can spot.
“‘You said this fortress would never fall while your men defend it....’”

I figured it’d be a crime to not have at least ONE skimish event tied to all these fortifications, so here it is. To appease the gods (otherwise known as Thranduil Razz), it currently has no limit. Should I add one?

Also remember that with a handful of non-Rohan valiant companions (some in cultures you haven’t seen yet Very Happy), these last two cards have some serious potential.

2 Soldier of the Mark Rohan
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 6
To play, spot a Rohan Man.
While you can spot 2 other valiant Men, this companion is valiant.
While you can spot 3 fortifications, each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -3.
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

Inspired by two needs that needed filling: 1.) a companion that worked with fortifications, and 2.) a non-unique companion. Believe it or not, I think this is the first non-unique Rohan guy I’ve made! I know lem0n will probably hate this being another 2/5/3 guy, but at least he has the potential to be much more useful than some of those others, right? Right? Anxious
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 4 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:53 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, here are a handful of cards that use fortifications to reduce minions’ strength...and taking a page from AP, they aren’t Rohan-exclusive either. Smile Enjoy!

1 Barricaded Entrance Rohan
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:
Discard this condition to make a minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -2 (or -3 if you can spot 2 other fortifications).
Response: If another fortification is about to be discarded by a Shadow card, discard this condition to prevent that.
“But the Hornburg still held fast, like an island in the sea. Its gates lay in ruin; but over the barricade of beams and stones within no enemy as yet had passed.”
should be just plain -3 IMSO

2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish
Make each minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -1 for each fortification you can spot.
I think a limit would be useful. maybe -4-5?

Companion • Man
Valiant. To play, spot a valiant Man.
Each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -1 for each fortification you can spot.
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

NEEDS a limit. plain as that. something like _3-4.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:58 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:
Discard this condition to make a minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -2 (or -3 if you can spot 2 other fortifications).
Response: If another fortification is about to be discarded by a Shadow card, discard this condition to prevent that.

I think you should go with the borne by minions thing.

This may be our last fortification, but it’s a nice flexible one to close out with, eh?

2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish
Make each minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -1 for each fortification you can spot (limit -5).

Make A minion, each with a Spear and a Rohirrim Mount is BROKEN!

I figured it’d be a crime to not have at least ONE skimish event tied to all these fortifications, so here it is. To appease the gods (otherwise known as Thranduil Razz), it currently has no limit. Should I add one?

Also remember that with a handful of non-Rohan valiant companions (some in cultures you haven’t seen yet Very Happy), these last two cards have some serious potential.

Companion • Man
Each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -1 for each fortification you can spot (limit -3).
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

Toss in hunter 1, IMO, the spotting requirement makes it a little underpowered as is.

Inspired by two needs that needed filling: 1.) a companion that worked with fortifications, and 2.) a non-unique companion. Believe it or not, I think this is the first non-unique Rohan guy I’ve made! I know lem0n will probably hate this being another 2/5/3 guy, but at least he has the potential to be much more useful than some of those others, right? Right? Anxious
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:22 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:

I reckon you could replace valiant with Rohan no problem, and in fact I think I’d prefer it that way. Otherwise, I prefer SoP’s approach.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish
Make each minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -1 for each fortification you can spot (limit -5).

Yes I agree with NB. A minion and without the limit, or 3 making each minion strength -Y if you can spot X fortifications.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -1 for each fortification you can spot (limit -3).
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

I like this guy a lot. I think I’d replace valiant with Rohan again for the spotting requirement (but it needs one or it’ll just be splashed into Gondor decks). Also, rather than have a limit, I’d much prefer ’While you can spot 3 fortifications, each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -2/3’.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:

Very cool but id make it unique. Also from a movie perspective there was only 1 entrance! Razz

2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish

See i like the idea of it not being restricitve but ultimately cultural enforcement stops cards like this not even having a rohan man in the deck and using it in completely different culture decks which is just wrong. You should make a card for that culture or not at all really.

Companion • Man
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

Yeah i do hate 5/3 comps Dain but you are right he gets a lot more useful, possibly too useful but that makes up for him being crap at the first couple of sites where he can easily be overwhelmed. Also agree with thran on both points about rohan man spotting and non progressive strength reduction.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
menace64
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:09 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:

I read the other reviews already so my opinion is a little biased, but I’ve got a few of my own comments still.
I agree that this should be unique, and I think either suggestion for the first action would be fine: making it flat -3 for a valiant or change it just to a Rohan Man.

Let me go ahead and say that this cross-culture stuff is a risky road. I really like it from a flavor standpoint, but it can get screwed up fast. This one, however, is all right.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish

And this one I don’t like so much. Sure, it’s dependent on ever-fickle conditions (and conditions that are immediate targets in a pure-fort deck). Sure, it costs 2 (which doesn’t happen much in Rohan). But that darned ’each’ is just too much (and yes I’m making a big deal with one word!). Actually, let me think a second. Hmm. Since you have the valiant requirement - and I’m always for making valiant useful - keep it the way it is. haha. Talk about your turn-arounds.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

Honestly, it’s fine. It doesn’t need any hunter bonus because in the only deck he’d be considered for he would beat up most of the weaker minions just fine, which is his purpose. In fact, giving him the valiant keyword for nothing may be too much, I’d say give him a really easy way to gain it, like "While you can spot 3 valiant companions, this companion is valiant." After all, such lowly soldiers must be rallied!
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 pm
Okay, I made tweaks to all three cards. How’re they now?

I’m a little unsure where to go next--or if I even NEED to go anywhere next--with this culture. We’ve got what I hope is a hearty return for villagers and Rohan fortifications, as well as the hunter potential Rohan should have had in those last few Decipher sets. We’ve got mounts and weapons, allies and followers...ooo, tokens. I haven’t done anything with tokens! Yeah, that will probably be next. Thumbs Up Might take another day or two, though.

If anyone has time to look over what we’ve already gone through and make suggestions for other things that could use shoring up, I’d very much appreciate it. Mr. Green
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:
Discard this condition to make a minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -3.

I get this from the valiant perspective (ie, you want to make it a keyword worth having), but I still think I wouldn’t use it. Not sure though. Perhaps strength -1/2 for a Rohan Man or -3 for a valiant companion?

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish
Make a minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -1 for each fortification you can spot.

Again, I want it to have a lesser effect for all Rohan Men, then a super bonus for valiant companions.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
While you can spot 3 fortifications, each minion skirmishing this companion is strength -3.
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

Fine now methinks.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:36 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:

I want my page back. Razz

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Fortification.
Skirmish:

I’d add a spotting requirement. Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Still Defended Rohan
Event • Skirmish
Make a minion skirmishing a valiant companion strength -1 for each fortification you can spot.

Neat. Mr. Green

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
“‘Hold fast the gate!’”

A wee bit underpowered... maybe add hunter 1? Think
I had to put something here.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:46 pm
For those that are hesitant about how useful all the valiant references may be, keep in mind that of the 13 Rohan companions in this set, only three are NOT valiant. It’s pretty common among Rohan Men.

ALSO keep in mind that there either already is or will be at least one valiant companion for each of the following cultures/races: [Gondor]Man , Elf, Dwarf, and Hobbit. (You can probably guess most of them, too.) So I’m trying to tie them together a little more and potentially create a blended all-valiant fellowship...or at least the potential for it. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards