LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:15 am
1st and 3rd are fine now. I dislike the second one intensely as its just not right. If as you say you are implementing valiant in other races, this rohan card could be used in an entirely different culture deck without having to spot any rohan companion at all, therefore whats the point in it being a rohan card. That just cries out for cultural enforcement. By all means allow it to work for other companions but you shouldnt have splash cultural events. This could go straight into a gondor knight deck if you make any gondor valiant companions. Or into any deck as you could use barricaded entrance and a few others and make for example a valiant dwarven fortification deck using rohan cards and thats messed up.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:15 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Alright, lem0n. I added a Rohan spotting requirement to Still Defended, so it’s a little less splashable now. Better?

I was going to do Rohan tokens next, but while designing such a card, I suddenly had a stroke of genius (or perhaps a stroke of stupidity...you be the judge) and ran off in an entirely different direction. So while one of these DOES deal with tokens, you’ll quickly see what direction I went in from there.

Personally, I’m happy with the mini-theme these bring about, and how they tie together hunters, villagers, plains sites, and--yes--tokens in ways I never pictured before now. Hope you like them too. Smile Enjoy!

1Patrolling the Borders Rohan
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, add a Rohan token here for each mounted Rohan Man you can spot.
Each time a minion is played at a plains site, you may discard this condition or remove a Rohan token from here to exert that minion (or wound that minion if it is roaming).
“‘What business does an Elf, a Man, and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!’”

This is another one of those "I can’t believe there aren’t any cards already with that lore!" cards. If you know of a card that DOES already have that lore, let me know, but extensive searching on my part yielded no results. But I digress....

As you may or may not have noticed, this is a twisted new version of Border Patrol, which starts off with 3 tokens; this one has the potential for a little more, but will probably start with the same number as the old card, or even a little less. But on the upside, it has wounding potential the old one lacked, so in my mind, it more or less balances out.

But wait...Rohan and roaming minions? Believe it or not, it’s not COMPLETELY unprecedented....

1 Valleys of the Mark Rohan (reprint)
Condition • Support Area
Each time a roaming minion is played, you may spot a villager to exert that minion.
“‘Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing? / Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?’”

Yup...this is a straight reprint from LOTR TCG Set #4, The Two Towers. Too bad Bi D never took it any further...but I have. Very Happy

2 Time Is Pressing Rohan
Event • Regroup
Toil 1.
If the fellowship is at a battleground or plains site, spot a Rohan hunter or a mounted Rohan Man to discard a minion (or 2 roaming minions).
“‘Let us leave these wild folk to their fancies. Or let us bind them and take them to the king.’”

An old Rohan favorite--discarding in regroup--with a new flavor. A little weaker than other such cards they have...unless you have some roaming minions around, at which point it becomes a potential game breaker.

So, while these are great for the early going or possibly when mixed with, say, rangers, how do you help ensure you have some roaming minions later in the sitepath? I thought you’d never ask.... Mr. Green

0Days of Doubt Rohan
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 2 valiant Men.
While the fellowship is at a battleground or plains site, each minion is site number +1 for each Rohan hunter you can spot.
Each time the fellowship moves to a site (except a battleground or plains site), exert each unbound non-Rohan and non-valiant companion.
“‘But wanderers in the Riddermark would be wise to be less haughty....’”

Now obviously, I worried about making a card that was too easy to splash into ranger decks. I’m hoping this solves that problem in several ways: 1 the spotting requirement, 2 the fact that you have to have multiple Rohan hunters for it to really be effective, and 3 the stiff moving drawback, which basically punishes any other companions you try to splash in with your Rohirrim and hopefully keeps you from using and abusing it with rangers and the like. There ARE some non-Rohan companions that can get around this thanks to the "non-valiant" clause, but very very few.

Now, go ahead and tell me all the ways this is still broken. Anxious Though if anything, I worry that now I may have made it TOO underpowered.

Oh, and does this work in making minions roaming when they’re played and thus combo with Patrolling the Borders and Valleys of the Mark as I intended?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:51 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, add a Rohan token here for each mounted Rohan Man you can spot.
Each time a minion is played at a plains site, you may discard this condition or remove a Rohan token from here to exert that minion (or wound that minion if it is roaming).
“‘What business does an Elf, a Man, and a Dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!’”

So basically this a ’thesaurus reprint’ like ’Scavenging Goblins’ and ’Abiding Evil’! Very Happy Fine, but I’d prefer it for you to balance it without requiring plains sites - just seems like a lot of conditions to have first a whole load of mounted Men, then the right site, then roaming.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Each time a roaming minion is played, you may spot a villager to exert that minion.
“‘Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing? / Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?’”

Fair enough. Why don’t you make a new card with identical text and call it ’Basins of the Mark’! Wink

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Time Is Pressing Rohan
Event • Regroup
Toil 1.
If the fellowship is at a battleground or plains site, spot a Rohan hunter or a mounted Rohan Man to discard a minion (or 2 roaming minions).
“‘Let us leave these wild folk to their fancies. Or let us bind them and take them to the king.’”

How is discarding in the regroup a Rohan favourite? I actually can’t think of any off-hand. Fine card though.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
0Days of Doubt Rohan
Condition • Support Area
While the fellowship is at a battleground or plains site, each minion is site number +1 for each Rohan hunter you can spot.
Each time the fellowship moves to a site (except a battleground or plains site), exert each unbound non-Rohan and non-valiant companion.

Was going to say that it was underpowered, then I realised it made minions roaming in the Shadow phase! I think you should just choose one of those (ie. non-Rohan or non-valiant) and leave it at that, just because it makes the card simpler and more easily understandable.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Oh, and does this work in making minions roaming when they’re played and thus combo with Patrolling the Borders and Valleys of the Mark as I intended?

I think so yes, but to be honest I can’t remember. Certainly most ranger abilities trigger from maneuver onwards, so you’re probably right.

Thranduil Wink
Last edited by Thranduil on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:20 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Condition • Support Area
almost an exact copy of whats its called.

2 Time Is Pressing Rohan
Event • Regroup
Toil 1.
should be exert IMSO

0Days of Doubt Rohan
Condition • Support Area
[i]“‘But wanderers in the Riddermark would be wise to be less haughty..."

the exertions thing is highly ponderous text wise...don’t know how you could change it though.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:51 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Alright, lem0n. I added a Rohan spotting requirement to Still Defended, so it’s a little less splashable now. Better?

YAY thanks Dain! I can sleep easy again!

Condition • Support Area

Sound.

Condition • Support Area

Semi useful.

2 Time Is Pressing Rohan
Event • Regroup
Toil 1.

Could cost less easily, in fact its so limited usefulness it could cost 0 its already quite restricted to the site and only 1 minion maybe 2.

0Days of Doubt Rohan
Condition • Support Area

Wo sorry Dain making stuff roaming in the shadow is plain wrong especially for rohan who have no businessdoing that. Couple this with site control nazgul to make sure you have ur site path and play pure rohan hunters and your opponent can never get a minion out!! Crazy. The drawback is pants as an exertion or 2 is nothing against each minion costing 5 or more extra, plus like i said u can make sure u won the site path. Can i call a veto?

Yes but that should be the least of your concerns.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:38 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area

I’d raise the cost to 2. Thumbs Up

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Time Is Pressing Rohan
Event • Regroup
Toil 1.

I’d drop the toil. Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
0Days of Doubt Rohan
Condition • Support Area

I’d raise the cost to 1. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards