LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Which Culture would you like to see next?

One Ring  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Dwarven  
20%
  [ 2 ]  20%

Elven  
20%
  [ 2 ]  20%

Gandalf  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Gollum  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Gondor  
20%
  [ 2 ]  20%

Men  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Orc  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Rohan  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Sauron  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Shire  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Uruk-hai  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Wraith  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Adventure Path  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Total Votes : 10
menace64
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:51 pm
Perhaps I’m moving along too quickly, but I’m really anxious to get these cards spoiled to you guys. Mr. Green

But first, here’s a repost of Gilraen’s Memorial. Read my above post for clarification on why it changed.

0 ∙Gilraen’s Memorial Gondor
Condition ∙ Support Area
To play, stack a Gondor Man from your dead pile here. If this condition is discarded, return that Man to your dead pile.
At the start of each of your turns, you may spot an unwounded Gondor Man to make a Shadow player discard one of his or her conditions.
“’This is our last parting, Estel, my son. I am aged by care… I cannot face the darkness of our time that gathers upon Middle-earth.’”
20R24

Now it does something ’small’ but otherwise outside of the realm of the culture. All the tomb cards will do something like this.

Now we’re going to begin exploring the Shadow cards a bit. But, as transition, we’ll start with something all of us have wanted to see for years: Curunír!

4 ∙Curunír, Of the White Council Gandalf
Companion ∙ Wizard
Strength-8
Vitality-4
Resistance-5
Each time you play a Free Peoples event (except during a skirmish), you may exert Curunír to shuffle up to 2 Shadow cards from your discard pile into your draw deck.
“’”How long, I wonder, have you concealed from me, the head of the Council, a matter of greatest import?”’”
20R+15

As your draw deck begins to dwindle, Curunir’s power will only grow. At first, shuffling 2 cards into your deck wont guarantee their recirculation into your hand, but at the later sites (in a semi-theme with Radagast) this guy can really lay down some heavy support. If you have 15-20 cards left, 2 cards shuffled in can easily appear again. But even then, I had to limit the ability to outside-of-skirmish events for fear of overuse. Maybe that fear isn’t warranted because you still need to exert him. Let me know what you think.

And, in the other side of the ring (or Ring?)...

3 ∙Saruman, Sharkey Men
Minion ∙ Wizard
Strength-6
Vitality-3
Site Number-4
Lurker.
While you can spot another minion, Saruman may not take wounds.
Regroup: Exert Saruman and discard a possession from hand to take control of a site (if that site is a dwelling or sanctuary).
“’Still I have already done much that you will find it hard to mend or undo in your lives. And it will be pleasant to think of that and set it against my injuries.’”
20R+29

This persona of Saruman, obviously, comes from Scouring of the Shire, after he has been cast out of the Order of the Wizards and stripped of much of his former power. Still, he maintains the ability to cause pain and evil, and his voice is still capable of ensnaring others. All this is represented through a drop in strength, the lurker keyword, and his bulldogging of others into bodyguard work so that he can’t take wounds with other minions in play.
The regroup ability is possibly the easiest way to take control of a site for most decks, under the condition that the site is a dwelling. After all, Saruman had no fancy for great destruction or power-playing; all he wanted was to cause a sore wound to an innocent people.

Next up, I’ll get to a couple more Shadow cards.
Last edited by menace64 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:19 am; edited 2 times in totalRiddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:11 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
menace64 wrote:
Perhaps I’m moving along too quickly, but I’m really anxious to get these cards spoiled to you guys. Mr. Green

Heheh. I know exactly what you mean. Very Happy

menace64 wrote:
Condition ∙ Support Area
To play, stack a Gondor Man from your dead pile here. If this condition is discarded, return that Man to your dead pile.
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may spot an unwounded Gondor Man to make a Shadow player discard one of his or her conditions.
“’This is our last parting, Estel, my son. I am aged by care… I cannot face the darkness of our time that gathers upon Middle-earth.’”
20R24

The only issue I have with this is that it’s a bit unfair at sanctuaries. Perhaps do it at the start of each turn instead?

menace64 wrote:
Companion ∙ Wizard
Strength-8
Vitality-4
Resistance-5
Each time you play a Free Peoples event (except during a skirmish), you may exert Curunír to shuffle up to 2 Shadow cards from your discard pile into your draw deck.
“’”How long, I wonder, have you concealed from me, the head of the Council, a matter of greatest import?”’”
20R+15

I think he should be the first-ever 4 resistance companion. Thumbs Up But other than that, he’s PERFECT. I love how he sets up the Shadow side. That’s an awesome idea.

menace64 wrote:
4 ∙Saruman, Sharkey Men
Minion ∙ Wizard
Strength-6
Vitality-4
Site Number-4
Lurker.
Unless you can spot no other minions, Saruman may not take wounds.
Regroup: Exert Saruman and discard a possession from hand to take control of a site (if that site is a dwelling site).
“’Still I have already done much that you will find it hard to mend or undo in your lives. And it will be pleasant to think of that and set it against my injuries.’”
20R+29

Not entirely sure what I think of his wound-preventing text. Maybe lower his vitality to 3 (and his cost to 3), and then he’d be a bit better. I might even recommend allowing his ability to work on another kind of site too...perhaps sanctuaries. But he’s very innovative and neat.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
menace64
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:36 am
Good call with Gilraen’s Memorial. Change made.

I wasn’t sure about whether or not to give Curunir 4 resistance. I mean, having it that low would mean giving him a better ability, in my opinion (and I didn’t want to make him any better than he already is). I think 5’s all right.

And I’ll make the changes to Saruman. Good ideas!
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:45 am
menace64 wrote:

Yes you flippin are! I didnt even see the others to review them, calm down dude! I wanna cast ym eye over them but ur faster than a speeding bullet!

Condition ∙ Support Area
At the start of each of your turns, you may spot an unwounded Gondor Man to make a Shadow player discard one of his or her conditions.
20R24

Urgh no. No gondor condition removal. End of. Ive done this argument too many times before and some people agree some dont so ill just repeat, dont make all cultures do everything. Gondor doesnt have conditon removal.

Companion ∙ Wizard
Strength-8
Vitality-4
Resistance-5
20R+15

Wow thats fantastic versatility. perfecrly balanced.

3 ∙Saruman, Sharkey Men
Minion ∙ Wizard
Strength-6
Vitality-3
Site Number-4
Lurker.
Regroup: Exert Saruman and discard a possession from hand to take control of a site (if that site is a dwelling or sanctuary).
20R+29

Phrase it While you can spot a minion, Saruman may not take wounds. Its clearer. Sweet.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:13 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:

Condition ∙ Support Area
20R24
make it no exhausted gondor man IMHO. condition discarding period for gondor should be hard to get without splashing

Companion ∙ Wizard
Strength-8
Vitality-4
Resistance-5
20R+15
works for me

3 ∙Saruman, Sharkey Men
Minion ∙ Wizard
Strength-6
Vitality-3
Site Number-4
Lurker.
20R+29
coolio
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
menace64
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:37 am
Good call on Sharkey, lem0n.

I probably wont have many (any) allies here, but I’m going to keep Gilraen’s Memorial the way it is. I think giving a culture access to an ability through one card (not even a powerful card) is not going to break a game. If I expanded it into an entire subculture, then there would be a problem.

Today’s cards!

8 ∙Balchoth, Terrible and Tall Men
Minion ∙ Man
Strength-13
Vitality-3
Site Number-4
Damage +1. When you play Balchoth, you may play a Men condition from your discard pile.
Each time Balchoth wins a skirmish, add a threat.
Each time you play a Men event, you may play a Men Man from your hand; his twilight cost is -1 for each threat you spot (limit -3).
“…Balchoth, having built many great boats and rafts on the east shores of Anduin, swarmed over the River and swept away the defenders.”
20R+28

Now, for those of you who know your history, Balchoth is actually the name of an entire group of evil men from the eastlands; but in a style befitting Decipher, I grafted the name onto a single minion. This guy serves as a leader of Men, able to rouse and rally them into a fighting force. And he loves those threats, too!

I wasn’t sure what to post as the second card. Let’s just go with this one.

3 Troll-den Orc
Condition ∙ Support Area
Each Troll is strength +1 for each other Troll you can spot.
At the start of each of your shadow phases, you may remove 3 to add an Orc token here.
Shadow: Spot an Orc Orc and remove 2 Orc tokens here to play a Troll from your draw deck or discard pile; its twilight cost is -4.
“’…but there is something else there. A great cave-troll, I think, or more than one. There is no hope of escape that way.’”
20R+36

It’s an expensive card (maybe too expensive), but its long-term effect can be devastating. Not only is it a vanilla condition, but if you sacrifice 6 over the course of 3 turns, you can bring out a Troll from your deck or discard pile at -4. And, while you’re waiting for the troll, any you bring out are pumped a little by the first ability.
Last edited by menace64 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 am; edited 2 times in totalRiddle 9

Who am I?
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:46 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
menace64 wrote:
7 ∙Balchoth, Terrible and Tall Men
Minion ∙ Man
Strength-13
Vitality-3
Site Number-4
Damage +1. When you play Balchoth, you may play a Men condition from your discard pile.
Each time you play a Men event, you may play a Men Man from your hand; his twilight cost is -1 for each threat you spot (limit -3).
“…Balchoth, having built many great boats and rafts on the east shores of Anduin, swarmed over the River and swept away the defenders.”
20R+28

Just to follow the norm, I’d recommend "...you may add a threat".

Not entirely sure what I think of his event ability. I think it would certainly encourage more Men events be used, which many don’t do now, but I’m a little worried it might be overpowered, especially since it can play them so cheap! I’d feel better if it either didn’t have the twilight reduction or removed a threat or two be removed to work.

Wait for another review or two, though.

menace64 wrote:
0 Troll-den Orc
Condition ∙ Support Area
At the start of each of your shadow phases, you may remove 3 to add an Orc token here.
Shadow: Spot an Orc Orc and remove 2 Orc tokens here to play a Troll from your draw deck or discard pile; its twilight cost is -4.
“’…but there is something else there. A great cave-troll, I think, or more than one. There is no hope of escape that way.’”
20R+36

I think it’s alright, as it’s likely to see use for its strength pumping, if nothing else. I also think the main ability could see enough use to be worth it, especially in a deck that has some cheap minions mixed in with Trolls.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AgentDrake
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:37 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Shouldn’t Troll-Den be unique?
otherwise you get some problems with the strength bonus. Two trolls with four of these is each strength +4. Three trolls with three of these is each strength +6. Three trolls with four is each strength +8.

And you could probably play that many, too, with the twilight reduction.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
menace64
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:20 pm
Troll-den initially had a twilight cost of 3, but at the last second I made it 0 to help make it more playable.

I think, after seeing you lay it out like that, I’ll put the cost back to 3. Good call.
Riddle 9

Who am I?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:59 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:

7 ∙Balchoth, Terrible and Tall Men
Minion ∙ Man
Strength-13
Vitality-3
Site Number-4
20R+28
you CAN spot.

3 Troll-den Orc
Condition ∙ Support Area
20R+36

I personally think you could cut cost to 2,and then make it unique.\
or even 0 and make it unique. but AD has already said this so it is up to you
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards