LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
NBarden
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:57 am
The number one problem I see with MtG is the fact that half the cards are overpowered, or even broken. Counterspells inherently are an NPE and so are board sweepers. So I propose a format that radically changes the gameplay of MtG and makes it more of a game that is fun to play, as opposed to a game where broken deck clashes against broken deck while the decks designed to have fun get bashed to pieces. This format will have an X-list, and some banned general card types. I don’t want it to replace MtG entirely, but simply be an alternative.

Banned: Board-sweepers. Wrath of God, Damnation, Magus of the Disk, all gone. If it says "destroy all..." its banned. I don’t think this will have a problem with aggro decks getting out of control, since Pyroclasm and stuff like that are still in play, but I think it will make it so control is no longer almighty.

Next, Counterspells are gone. No, I’m not just teching against F_M, but I have found his decks to be an NPE. If you try to run a combo deck, which is IMO the funnest deck, a counterspell completely wrecks it. Basically, I’m trying to get rid of cards that completely slaughter any given strategy, board sweepers against aggro, counterspells against combo decks.

Stuffy Doll is banned. In the Pariah/Stuffy Doll combo, one of them had to go.

Deathrender is banned. Enduring Renewal and Deathrender made it to broken.

Any other NPEs that may be banned?

I’m watching

Molten Disaster (with dragon decks?)
Pyrohemia (board sweeper!)

Anyone like this format? I’m not advocating it being a primary format, just one you can play if you’re sick of your aggro or combo deck getting mutilated by control. No, but seriously, I’m looking at a more fun deck. BTW, I’ll be posting a deck that is designed for nothing EXCEPT messing around with. Not competitive, but a blast to play. Smile
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:43 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
If I were you, I’d just play Limited. Gets right where you want to. Or play in larger groups, where competitive decks made to go for the throat simply won’t thrive. What you’re currently doing IS, basically, teching so your pet decks can become better without actually improving them. You’re not to blame, though, it’s a common feeling among begginners (I’ve told you that before, and I may echo again, the next in line will be Story Circle and Circle of Protection). However, in the format you propose, there’s only one deck type to play, which is aggro. MAYBE some variations of combo. But you kill board sweepers and countermagic, you kill an entire archetype, and without playing against all archetypes, you’re never gonna imporve the decks enough to make them really good. There ARE unpowered formats, like singleton (1 of each card only) or peasant (only 3-5 uncommons and no rares), but of course, Brion Stoutarm won’t still make a difference, since he doesn’t fit neither one. Well, anyone is free to play whatever format they want, but when you start REALLY building decks, thinking every card through (not simply the main idea), mixing and marching, studying, analyzing, you’ll see there’s nothing more satisfactory to see a deck that has a good game against any deck. Check my own pet deck, for instance:

18 Snow-Covered Plains
3 Scrying Sheets
4 Shade of Trokair
4 Mana Tithe
4 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
4 Soltari Priest
4 White-Shield Crusader
3 Serra Avenger (would like a fourth one, but I’ve got only three)
2 Jotun Grunt
2 Paladin en-Vec
4 Griffin Guide
2 Loxodon Warhammer
2 Ajani Goldmane
4 Oblivion Ring

Try it against multiple decks, even competitive ones. This is a pet deck I’ve designed, totally taken out of my head, carefully thought of, card by card, against every relevant match-up. It’s a heavy aggro deck that has fair game against other aggro decks, control and even some combos like D-Storm. Problem? It auto-loses to a first game Story Circle set to white unless I can get an Oblivion Ring fast enough. SO, should I just demand the banning of Story Circle? No, instead, I built a sideboard for it, it’s got Disenchants and Pithing Needles. Why? Because these cards not only help against annoying Circles, they also shut down D-Storm completely, create some trouble for mana-hungry decks like monoblue pickles, outright kill the also-annoying Phyrexian Ironfoot control decks tend to play, and neutralize opposing Loxodon Warhammers. And that is just a 3rd of my sideboard, you see, this is why magic is played in matches of best of 3 games.
Again, I say, want to go about banning stuff, be my guest, but rest asured most people won’t want to play such format (unless you just go with Limited, in which case I’ll gladly play), after all, what’s the fun of cracking open a gazillion 10th Edition boosters if you can’1t use the Wrath of Gods you open?

PS: After the Circles, the next in line would most likely be Pithing Needle, after all, it’s "so broken and NPE". However, check how many decks that made Top 8 at Worlds actually played any of those (either ones)...
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19 pm
I wouldn’t recommend it in place of competitive play, but there are so many fun decks that look like they have potential, only to get squashed by mega control, via board sweepers and counterspells.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:20 pm
If they’re getting squashed completly, it means they need something else, they’re lacking answers. That’s what Mana Tithe and Oblivion Ring mean to my deck, answers to troublesome cards.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:58 pm
Boardsweepers do hose aggro. That’s a fact. Otherwise, why are you always saying to design aggros to recover post-wrath.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:05 pm
They annoy aggros. But if you design an aggro deck that doesn’t have to overextend too much, commiting a BUNCH of creatures to the board, mass removal is not THAT bad.
Wren’s Run Packmaster is an example of a good aggro card for doing this, instead of emptying your hand, you make wolves.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:58 pm
Exactly my point. Any aggro deck that DOES run a lot of creatures to the board is completely hosed by Wrath or Damnation. It cuts out a complete deck-type.

What about counterspells? What happens to a Wren’s Run Packmaster deck when you counter/Extirpate it?
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:28 pm
Packmaster deck can pump a packmaster out turn 3. Hard to counter AND extirpate if you’re running on turn-3 mana.

Besides, Packmaster isn’t obviously the only card in the deck. It’s just a way to get stuff without dropping your hand. It gets removed, THEN you drop your hand.

You complain about a entire decktype being wiped out, but what your format DOES is wipe out a decktype... control, and, really, almost a whole color... or even two. Or three! Who’d play White without Wrath? Who’d play Black without Damnation/Extirpate? Who’d play Blue without Counters? No one.

I for one don’t believe Aggro is completely stopped every time by a control deck. Not a good Aggro, anyway.

Even if you like combo decks, MtG isn’t all about combos. LotR is a lot more combo-oriented. MtG deckbuilding is as much about teching as comboing cards. You hate counterspells? Pack Eyes of the Wisent. If you hate Extirpate, well, pack Extirpate. Wrath? Extirpate it, counter it, run championing creatures, manlands... there’s lots of ways to survive these cards. You just have to accept that they’re out there and build around them. That’s what MtG deckbuilding is ABOUT.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 pm
Applause
Nice improvements, EL! Planning on attending Morningtide Pre-Release events? You should.
NBarden, aggro decks that rely on dumping entire hands on the board at once, by definition, are not good aggro decks, thus, OF COURSE they’ll be hosed down by a Wrath. I run monored D-Storm (you’ve seen it), and I WON a match against an opponent at 29 life, with 8 plains out and a story circle set to red! How come? After all, Story Circle completely hoses down D-Storm. THat’s becuase the deck IS built to endure such things. Sure, it makes my job a hell lot harder then it would otherwise be, but I can still pull it off, and that’s what makes the deck good.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:59 pm
I’m not saying to completely ban them, I’m just saying that a new format designed for some fun deck types, combo decks, creature heavy combos, are very fun decks to play with but don’t have a chance. So, create a format that does give them a chance. We did the same with LotR, banning tons of Corsair stuff, hobbit stuff, and even No Pause, No Spills for PPE format. Is it because the cards ore necessarily overpowered or broken? No! Its just so some hitherto unplayable decks because of those combos were allowed to have a chance in PPE format. We saw tons of fun decks come about without getting ripped apart by Corsairs, or choked to death and otherwise clobbered by Dwarves or getting every skirmish canceled by Hobbits. I don’t advocate banning any of those decks, but I do advocate an alternate format free from those decks so other decks that get wrecked by them have a chance.

This is the same thing.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion