LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:41 pm
--- description ---
Okay, I’m going to build a deck that is as no fun as possible.
--- end description ---

Okay, as many of you know, I hate counterspells and only use them to counter counterspells. Actually, I use them because other people are using them and I need them to be effective, but they’re mostly for countering coutnerspells. But I have an idea. I’m going to make the most NPE control deck I can think of and hope maybe some people will want to play a no counterspells, no boardsweeper format.

Lands (23):

Underground River x 4
River of Tears x 4
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Dreadship Reef x 4
Island x 6
Swamp x 4

Spells:

Cryptic Command x 4
Broken Ambitions x 4
Traumatize x 2
Rune Snag x 4
Spell Burst x 2
Damnation x 2
Extirpate x 4

Planeswalker:

Jace Beleren x 2

Creatures:

Dralnu, Lich Lord x 2
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir x 3
Scalpelexis x 4
Ambassador Laquatus x 4

Counter anything. If for some reason, such as heavy aggro, stuff gets through, drop Damnation and destroy it all. Wrath? Counter/Extirpate. Anything annoying? Counter/Extirpate. Dralnu allows you to nab a bunch of this stuff from your discard pile. Teferi hoses all their suspended cards, and shuts their counterspells down, since you can play all your cards anytime except their main phase. Start dropping Millstone, Scalpelexis, Traumatize and Ambassador Laquatus for a mill.

15 counterspells that keep coming back enough?

Oh, qq, if I buyback a flashbacked Spell Burst, does it go to my hand or get removed from the game?
Last edited by NBarden on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 3 times in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Tested the deck. I had more counterspells than I knew what to do with. Twisted Evil Cryptic Command PWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Extirpation en masse via Dralnu also pwns. Massively. I’ll extirpate all your board sweepers and counterspells F_M. Razz
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:27 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Lands (23): Needs more, heavy control decks must hit land drops for quite a while, I’d pack at least 26

Underground River x 4
Island x 12
Swamp x 7
Needs 4 River of Tears, 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, 2 Tolaria West, 4 Dreadshipe Reef, 1 Academy Ruins and 1 Urza’s Factory, at least.

Spells:

Cryptic Command x 3 (I’d run 4)
Delay x 2 (Not very good, a set of Rune Snag is better most of the time, even though you have Teferi)
Broken Ambitions x 4 (played with it for a while, but I have to admit now it sucks, I’d drop it in favor of Rune Snags and Cancels)Traumatize x 2 (Control decks leave mana open, they shouldn’t tap out their own turn. Also, this is kind of off strategy, Traumatize seems better than it really is)
Dash Hopes x 4 (love the card, but not in this build, 5 damage isn’t gonna stop them, you’re running a slow deck.)
Spell Burst x 2
Damnation x 2 (needs 2 more)
Extirpate x 4 (I’d run 2 at most, specially without 4 THoughtseize)

Planeswalker:

Jace Beleren x 2 (only good in the control mirror, move him to the sideboard)

Creatures:

Dralnu, Lich Lord x 2 (seems nice, but it’s not without Rewind, so I’d drop him in favor of Aeon Chroniclers)
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir x 2 (1 more would be good)
Scalpelexis x 4 (I’d drop them for a pair of Tombstalkers)
Ambassador Laquatus x 4 (doesn’t fit the strategy, I’d pack Phyrexian Totem)
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm
The deck is a control/mill deck, FYI. That being said, Broken Ambitions, Traumatize, Jace, Scalpelexis and Laquatus seem good.

Extirpate also helps a mill, because you’re grabbing cards from their deck and putting them into play. Plus, it helps terminate the stack.

After testing, I was gonna drop Delay, Dash Hopes and 1 Extirpate. But not Dralnu, I found him VERY helpful in testing, along with Teferi.

Why Urza’s Factory? I use Laquatus for EOT.

And Academy Ruins seems worthless for a deck with no artifacts.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:49 pm
Urza’s Factory is a win condition, I didn’t quite got the deck was a mill deck, without acceleration and stuff like Twincast.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm
I was thinking of dropping some counterspells for Twincast, that way, I can counter a counterspell countering my counterspell. Very Happy Or copy Traumatize.

Should I do that?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:42 pm
I think it might pay off
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)