LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
What version of Aragorn do you think is the best?

Captain of Gondor  
4%
  [ 1 ]  4%

Defender of Free Peoples  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Driven by Need  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Elessar Telcontar  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Guide and Protector  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Heir of Elendil  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Heir to the Throne of Gondor  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Heir to the White City  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Isildur's Heir  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

King in Exile  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Ranger of the North  
4%
  [ 1 ]  4%

Strider  
13%
  [ 3 ]  13%

Thorongil  
60%
  [ 14 ]  60%

Well-traveled Guide  
4%
  [ 1 ]  4%

Wingfoot  
4%
  [ 1 ]  4%

Defender of Rohan  
8%
  [ 2 ]  8%

Total Votes : 23
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:37 pm
It’s been a while since we’ve had one of these polls. Smile
Last edited by Anonymous Prodigy on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in totalI had to put something here.
menace64
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:17 am
Thorongil, in my opinion. By the way, you forgot Defender of Rohan.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:44 am
Depends on the decktype. Razz Not that I’ll give the same cop-out answer for every companion/minion, but I really think it’s the case with Aragorn. Unless we go through the trouble of comparing which decktypes containing him are the best...

So that’s my disclaimer. Now to poke my head in the fire and rank him (roughly) by splashability!

1. Thorongil
2. Ranger of the North
3. Heir to the White City

I guess Thorongil would be my answer to the poll. Essentially base 10 strength, exertions can really mess with minion abilities, and the ranger keyword means he can be pulled by The Prancing Pony. RotN is second because he’s the quintessential defender bonus guy. HttWC is third because he’s the quintessential choke guy. And by quintessential, I don’t mean just within the Gondor culture.

4. Elessar Telcontar
5. Heir to the Throne of Gondor
6. Heir of Elendil
7. Isildur’s Heir
8. King in Exile
9. Well-traveled Guide
10. Swift Hunter

Elessar’s high strength and healing ability earned him fourth in my eyes, a ways above the next healer, King in Exile, at eighth (see Captain of Gondor below). WtG manages not to come in last not because of those "solo" WtG decktypes, but because if everyone else is shot down and he’s alone with the Ring-bearer at site 9, he might actually win the game. Swift Hunter maybe doesn’t deserve last place (if you don’t have any other Aragorn signets surely he’s better than King in Exile) but I’m just not too impressed with exerting himself to give +1 strength bonuses.

And these I thought couldn’t be meaningfully ranked because they depended too much on their decktype:

Captain of Gondor - Knights
Defender of Free Peoples - Elven tokens
Driven by Need - Wraiths
Guide and Protector - Anarion (?)
Strider - Noble Leaders
Wingfoot - Dauntless Hunter / Running Hobbits

Yeah... something like that. Wink

Edit - pulled Guide and Protector from the rankings, since he’s probably too deck specific as well.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:08 am
Which one’s your favorite, ES? I’ll review my favorites.

My favorites are...

Well-Traveled Guide
Defender of Rohan
Thorongil
Heir to the White City
Wingfoot

Four of those are my absolute favorites.

In order....

Wingfoot
Heir to the White City
Well-Traveled Guide

So I vote Wingfoot. He’s just SO MUCH FUN to use. Not very competitive, but a blast to use. Still remember my Wingfoot/Smeagol, Old Noser run deck.

Oh, @ES. Driven by Need isn’t just Wraiths. I use him and his bow as a self-reloading wounding machine in my Rohan Lady of Ithilien deck. Driven by Need and his bow are VERY splashable, IMO, and if I have room to drop a small splash package, in go Aragorn and Bow, as well as possibly Gandy and Citadel to Gate.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Celebrimbor
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:24 pm
Like ES said some of them can’t be ranked because they depend too much on their own deck type.

I love thorongil, and hate strider.

@Nbarden: Awesome idea with driven by need w/ aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow. I should try that out.
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:26 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Thorongil is great, all around. 10 strength against a lot of minions, and the threat ability is good in most decks. A solid card.

Strider has his strengths, especially in the fellowship that loads up on rangers, and can play all nine companions at the start. Seriously, how often do you get that cheap of an 8/4 companion?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 am
Thorongil was a close 2nd but had to go for Strider. He’s just too useful for 1 cost.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:57 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
And you know, with one copy of No Stranger to the Shadows (haha, how appropriate...), Strider becomes a beast of a 1 companion.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Celebrimbor
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:15 pm
Methinks that’s a counter-productive waste of 1 card. Strider is build to be in blow-out decks.

The attempt to stuff as many companions into the starting fellow will explain that very well. Laughing
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
Glamdring
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:25 pm
Elessar’s Socks wrote:
Depends on the decktype.

Yeah, each person has a liking to different decktypes. They all choose the Aragorn which fits their needs best. According to me, choking is my favorite strategy, so my favorite version is Strider. That’s just me. Cobra
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem
Rangers will rule the World!! (CC's Official Ranger Lover)
My Haves/Wants Please look!!

...much debate much hard feelings. ~SOP

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion