LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
menace64
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:48 am
I am going to conduct an experiment here. What if, instead of throwing things like Watcher in the Water, The Balrog, Mumakil, and etc. into other cultures, there was one to house them all? That would make them more independent, more splashable, and open up a whole new can of strategy.

One of the big benefits to a creature culture is that you can make mumakil, fell beasts, and other deadly perils into minions without the baggage of a new keyword or clunky text (like old school tentacles had).

So let’s just give it a whirl... starting with something new.

10 Mumakil Line-breaker Cobra
Minion - Mumak
Strength 18
Vitality 4
Site Number 5
Each other Mumak minion is twilight cost -2.
Skirmish: Discard 2 Men from hand to make this minion damage +2.

6 Beast of Morgul Cobra
Minion - Fell Beast
Strength 11
Vitality 2
Site Number 5
Fierce. When you play this minion, you may discard a Nazgul from hand to make this minion strength +3 until the regroup phase.
Archery: Discard your Cobra condition to make the fellowship archery total -1.

It looks like the ’theme’ of the Cobra culture is reckless savagery. Throwing away cards left and right as a core cost should represent creatures well.

Like the idea?
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:37 pm
Interesting, but I don’t think I agree with throwing Nazgul away to use their steeds. After all, the steeds are nothing compared to their riders. I love the first one, but think the second one would make more sense as discarding some non-specific cards, or perhaps Wraith cards, rather than just Nazgul.

You should also use as many loaded keywords as possible for this culture; enduring, fierce, damage and lurker are all very bestial.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm
Or invent a keyword, like bestial.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
AgentDrake
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:35 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
I agree with everything Thran said.

An idea: You might want to adjust the sites to match approximately where in the story each type of creature shows up.
If you do that, you could also make their site numbers into an interesting twist with other creature cards that spot/affect Cobra minions with printed site X. Something like "Creatures of the Dark Lord" could reference all site 6 (Fell Beasts, Shelob, etc.) Cobra minions, etc.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:29 am
Would you really use men or nazgul if you were playing a creature deck or are they more of a splash culture?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 am
I think he said they were a splash culture.

Which is great. I love shadow rainbows.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:07 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Nothing to add, really, but I like the overall idea quite a bit. I’ve thought of doing something similiar, inspired by the Creatures in Decipher’s Star Wars CCG.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:20 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Nothing to add, really, but I like the overall idea quite a bit. I’ve thought of doing something similiar, inspired by the Creatures in Decipher’s Star Wars CCG.

Except that they were rubbish. The only creatures I ever used were the Rancor and Sarlacc with the objective that allows you to capture people and feed them to either for loads of bonuses! That was hilarious.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Except that they were rubbish. The only creatures I ever used were the Rancor and Sarlacc with the objective that allows you to capture people and feed them to either for loads of bonuses! That was hilarious.

Well, I never said the creatures they made were any good. Razz Admittedly, I don’t think I ever actually used any, but the concept always intrigued me.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
menace64
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:10 pm
Keeping things off-topic for a moment longer, creatures had a lot of hidden power in SW. Take a look at Vine Snake. Well, I’ll go ahead and post the text here:

Habitat: Planet sites (except Hoth). Attacks a character by attaching. X starts at 0. Every move phase, draw destiny; each time destiny > ability, add 1 to X. Character is power -X (eaten if power = 0).

That. Is. Sucks... For anyone it attacks.

If you’re running a deck focusing around a specific character (say, Luke in a cross Vader deck), this little fella can eat you alive. More than once I lost a key player and was never able to recuperate (because, for as generally weak as creatures were, there wasn’t a lot of anti-creature tech).

---

Anywho. Yes, Cobra culture is starting off as kind of a support culture. Think of it like how Gollum started - not many options to run on its own, but over time enough cards are put into the culture that it becomes stable on its own.

AD: I really like that idea of site number-centric minions. Let’s brainstorm on what site numbers creatures would get.

1-2 ~ Shire through Rivendell
3-4 ~ Moria through Amon Hen
5-6 ~ Rohan/Dead Marshes through Isengard/Ithilien
7-8 ~ Gondor/Minas Morgul through Black Gate/Shelob’s Lair
9 ~ Mount Doom

So, based off that, Watcher in the Water would roam until 3, while Shelob would maintain site 8 (and yes, I figure she would show up in Cobra). Fell Beasts would roam until site 5, and so forth.

Let’s try something else:

4 Old Forest Hardwood Cobra
Minion - Tree
Strength 11
Vitality 4
Site Number 2
Damage +1.
While the fellowship is not at any site 2 or any site 3, this minion is roaming.
Skirmish: Exert this minion to make it strength +1 for each other Tree you can spot (limit +2).
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards