LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
kingmj4891
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:21 pm
This is the beggining of my new dream card set The Nine Walkers...
The Plan is to use the Fellowship key word and bring back the old nine walkers style type decks.

Help me balance this idea of a ring and this frodo....

• The One Ring, The One to Rule Them All
STR +2
VIT +1
RES -2
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, he wears The One Ring until the regroup phase.
While wearing The One Ring, each time the Ring-bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
Each time the Fellowship moves add a burden (or two if the Free peoples player can not spot a Fellowship companion.)

0 • Frodo, Mr. Baggins Shire
Companion• Hobbit
STR 3
VIT 4
RES 10
Ring-Bearer. Fellowship.
Frodo is resistance +1 for each Fellowship companion you can spot over 4.

So far here are the sites for the set with more to come...
(Note some sites are older sites from the movie blocks revampted for the new site style)

SITES

0 •Pelennor Plain
Plains.
While you can spot two minions, the Free Peoples player cannot replace this site.
Assignment: The shadow player may assign a minion to an unbound companion who has resistance 4 or less.

0 •Dark Valley
Site
Shadow: Spot 8 burdens to make the Ring-bearer wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.

0 •Moria Entrance
Underground.
Response: If your minion is about to take a wound,
discard 2 cards from hand to prevent that wound.

1 •Weathertop Camp
Site
At the start of the regroup phase the shadow player may exert a minion and spot 3 wounds on the Ring-bearer to exert every companion.

1 •Caverns of Isenguard
Site
Underground.
The Free Peoples player wins the game only if the Ring-bearer survives until Shadow players reconcile.

1 •Brown Lands
Site
River.
For each minion archer at Brown Lands, the minion archery total is +1 (limit +3).

2 •Dimrill Dale
Site
Underground.
Regroup: Spot your minion and remove (9) to make the fellowship move again this turn (if the move limit allows).

2 •Mordor Valley
Site
Regroup: If the total number of burdens and companions in the dead pile is at least 12,
spot three minions to corrupt the Ring-bearer.

2 •Eastern Emyn Muil
Site
Mountain
Skirmish: While in region 1 or 2 add 3 burdens to wound a minion skirmishing a fellowship companion twice.
Skirmish: While in region 3 add 3 burdens to exert a minion skirmishing a fellowship companion twice.

3 •Bag End
Site
Dwelling
When the fellowship moves from this site during the regroup phase, heal each fellowship companion.

3 •Chamber of Khazad-dum
Site
Underground.
At the start of the regroup phase spot a Dwarf who is damage +X to place X wounds on minions.

3 •Morgai Foothills
Site
Regroup: Discard your condition and exert a fellowship companion to liberate a site.
Last edited by kingmj4891 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:26 am
kingmj4891 wrote:
This is the beggining of my new dream card set The Nine Walkers...
The Plan is to use the Fellowship key word and bring back the old nine walkers style type decks.

So far here are the sites for the set with more to come...
(Note some sites are older sites from the movie blocks revampted for the new site style)

SITES

0 •Pelennor Plain
Plains.
While you can spot two minions, the Free Peoples player cannot replace this site.
Assignment: The shadow player may assign a minion to an unbound companion who has resistance 4 or less.

Hm...I’m not sure. Most of the FP site-path controlling toys are fellowship phase, at which point you wouldn’t have two minions anyways. So the first really only stops Travelled Leader. And since sites typically only have one ability, I’d drop the first.

0 •Dark Valley
Site
Shadow: Spot 8 burdens to make the Ring-bearer wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.

Like it. Are we by chance gonna see twilight nazzies come back this set?

0 •Moria Entrance
Underground.
Response: If your minion is about to take a wound, discard 2 cards from hand to prevent that wound.

I think that 1 would be good.

1 •Weathertop Camp
Site
At the start of the regroup phase the shadow player may exert a minion and spot 3 wounds on the Ring-bearer to exert every companion.

MORCS! This one should cost 0.

1 •Caverns of Isenguard
Site
Underground.
The Free Peoples player wins the game only if the Ring-bearer survives until Shadow players reconcile.

YES! YES YES YES YES! I loved this site. I’d tweak it a little to make him survive until the end of the regroup phase, don’t shadow players reconcile at the beginning?

1 •Brown Lands
Site
River.
For each minion archer at Brown Lands, the minion archery total is +1 (limit +3).

Great.

2 •Dimrill Dale
Site
Underground.
Regroup: Spot your minion and remove (9) to make the fellowship move again this turn (if the move limit allows).

This should be 1.

2 •Mordor Valley
Site
Regroup: If the total number of burdens and companions in the dead pile is at least 12, spot three minions to corrupt the Ring-bearer.

Again, 1. Helps the shadow/hurts FP a lot, 0, helps shadow/hurts FP, 1, helps/hurts both, 2, helps FP/hurts shadow 3.

2 •Eastern Emyn Muil
Site
Mountain
Skirmish: While in region 1 or 2 add 3 burdens to wound a minion skirmishing a fellowship companion twice.
Skirmish: While in region 3 add 3 burdens to exert a minion skirmishing a fellowship companion twice.

I usually don’t like more than one ability on sites, but this one’s okay. I like how you can’t blam out at site nine for a RB win because of a stupid site.

3 •Bag End
Site
Dwelling
When the fellowship moves from this site during the regroup phase, heal each fellowship companion.

Fellowship? Like, the keyword? If so, great!

3 •Chamber of Khazad-dum
Site
Underground.
At the start of the regroup phase spot a Dwarf who is damage +X to place X wounds on minions.

Love it. Absolutely works perfectly with Dwarves. A new staple for Dwarven decks.

3 •Morgai Foothills
Site
Regroup: Discard your condition and exert a fellowship companion to liberate a site.

Hm...okay, here’s a tricky one. I’d make it 2, because it helps neither unless a certain condition is met, but I don’t really like sites that tech against a specific deck that much anyways. This really only works against Uruk-hai hunters and Sauron besigers in Standard format, so I would really just do something different.

Great stuff! Thumbs Up Looking forward to more.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:38 am
kingmj4891 wrote:

SITES

0 •Pelennor Plain
Plains.

The assigment phase i waaaay too hard dude. Its not phrased quite right but i get the idea obviously. Id leave it off.

0 •Dark Valley
Site

Id phrase it at the start of the shadow not a shadow action. Sound though.

0 •Moria Entrance
Underground.

Cool.

1 •Weathertop Camp
Site

wow thats really harsh. Maybe lower cost to 0.

1 •Caverns of Isenguard
Site
Underground.

Good reprint.

1 •Brown Lands
Site
River.

Wow thats crazy limit 2 and lower cost to 0.

2 •Dimrill Dale
Site
Underground.

Coolio.

2 •Mordor Valley
Site
Regroup: If the total number of burdens and companions in the dead pile is at least 12,

Hmmm not sure you should have the irresistable shadow style thing on a site.

2 •Eastern Emyn Muil
Site
Mountain

Nice but not sure if a site should ever have 2 abilities.

3 •Bag End
Site
Dwelling

Cool.

3 •Chamber of Khazad-dum
Site
Underground.

Niiiice.

3 •Morgai Foothills
Site

Need to state your fellowship companion, or a shadow player could use this ability for exertions.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
kingmj4891
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:41 am
Thanks for the site reviews revisions are underway. In the mean time I posted the ring and frodo from the set in my orginal post, I think the ring needs work but i dont see any probelms with Frodo. Enjoy!
lem0nhead
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 am
kingmj4891 wrote:

STR +2
VIT +1
RES -2
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, he wears The One Ring until the regroup phase.
While wearing The One Ring, each time the Ring-bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
Each time the Fellowship moves add a burden (or two if the Free peoples player can not spot a Fellowship companion.)

Way too much text for a one ring. Not a useful ring, its stats are great for fighting but lower ur resistance then punish you with burdens for using it. Not balanced, too easy to corrupt you. Sorry.

Companion• Hobbit
STR 3
VIT 4
RES 10
Ring-Bearer. Fellowship.

Not bad, not awesome as hes gonna die easily compared to weary from the journey which is the frodo of choice nowadays but a good card if u add burdens a lot i.e. with ur ring above.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:22 pm
kingmj4891 wrote:
STR +2
VIT +1
RES -2

Um...wow. No, to burden intensive. Use AtaR or RoD over this ANYDAY. I don’t think anyone would use it. If you drop the each time the fellowship moves, add a burden. then I think it would work. I always like messing with resistance LOWERING, showing the corrupting influence of the ring, but with ATAR and RoD out, I think you could safely go str +2, vitality +2, res -2 and the response to a wound ability. THEN the card may get used, although only probably with Frodo.

Companion• Hobbit
STR 3
VIT 4
RES 10
Ring-Bearer. Fellowship.

A card that RELIES on breaking the rule of 5? No. Sorry. Resolute Hobbit ANY day over him, and as lem0n said, still doesn’t compare to usability like Weary from the Journey. I think that resistance is good, but maybe for each fellowship companion you spot (limit: +5)? And maybe start him at 9 res. That way, assuming all fellowship and not breaking rule of 5, you get a res 14 RB. Which is nice, but balanced compared to Resolute Hobbit.

Hey, you should probably make separate posts each time you post DCs, and then at the end post them all in one place. Easier to review.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:28 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
kingmj4891 wrote:
STR +2
VIT +1
RES -2

I agree with NBarden: up the vitality to +2. However, I rather like the moving drawback. Perhaps just drop the resistance -2 and leave the rest as is. Again, likely to be used only by Frodo, but it makes things VERY interesting.

kingmj4891 wrote:
Companion• Hobbit
STR 3
VIT 4
RES 10
Ring-Bearer. Fellowship.

Since it’s only fellowship companions, how about lower his resistance to 8 and simply make him resistance +1 for each (or perhaps each other) fellowship companion?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:52 pm
kingmj4891 wrote:
STR +2
VIT +1
RES -2

I agree with what NB and lem0n said: I’d probably use it without the last sentence for rocking stat bonuses and putting on the ring for no burdens.

kingmj4891 wrote:
Companion• Hobbit
STR 3
VIT 4
RES 10
Ring-Bearer. Fellowship.

This is interesting, but his ability is more like one you’d find on a Ring-bearer with low resistance - adding some to Frodo who starts with 10 seems a little excessive. Strength boosts are better for Hobbit Ring-bearers. Maybe an action like: ’Skirmish: Exert a fellowship companion to make Frodo strength +1.’ Or maybe getting others to heal him or something like that.

kingmj4891 wrote:
0 •Pelennor Plain
Plains.

Sites do not tend to have more than one ability, but it’s interesting, as long as you realise that the first ability would only apply when the fellowship is actually at this site.

Also, I really wouldn’t mind for you to bold the right words like plains and assignment - makes the card a lot easier to read and understand!

You don’t need a ’may’ in a phase action. Assignment: Assign your minion to a companion with resistance 4 or less.’ is probably a better wording. Possibly too good, might need to bring the resistance down to 3 or 2.

kingmj4891 wrote:
0 •Dark Valley
Site

This card is AWESOME! I love it. Have a GP

kingmj4891 wrote:
0 •Moria Entrance
Underground.

Nice. I like it. Again about the boldness though!

kingmj4891 wrote:
1 •Weathertop Camp
Site

That’s pretty damn nasty. What about something to help the twilight strategy instead that would perhaps be slightly less dangerous, like ’At the start of the maneuver phase, you may exert your minion to exert the Ring-bearer’. But as it is, it should probably cost 0.

kingmj4891 wrote:
1 •Caverns of Isenguard
Site
Underground.

I love this site! You should add something about the ability only triggering at site 9.

kingmj4891 wrote:
1 •Brown Lands
Site
River.

Luckily there aren’t many minion archers, but I’d maybe prefer: ’While you can spot a minion archer, the minion archery total is +1’ which would be a lot less deadly and a lot more deserved of 1.

kingmj4891 wrote:
2 •Dimrill Dale
Site
Underground.

I reckon 1 probably. But I’ve always liked this concept as well.

kingmj4891 wrote:
2 •Mordor Valley
Site

Again, this is a fantastic site 9, but needs to say so. You shouldn’t be able to corrupt the Ring-bearer like that certainly outside of region 3. Also, add in ’... spot your minion to...’ so at least the FP player has a way to survive if all else fails. This should probably also be 0 or 1.

kingmj4891 wrote:
2 •Eastern Emyn Muil
Site
Mountain

Also not sure a site should have 2 abilities like this one. Also, very costly for not the best benefit. I think I’d be tempted to leave it as ’Skirmish: Add a burden to wound a minion skirmishing a fellowship companion’ and then add, if you wish, ’(or exert that minion if the fellowship is in region 3)’.

kingmj4891 wrote:
3 •Bag End
Site
Dwelling

Fine, but the fellowship should not be moving from Bag End in the regroup phase. This needs to be a site 1-type site and so should be helping your Nine Walkers set up - they should never stop off at Bag End along the way to stock up on supplies.

kingmj4891 wrote:
3 •Chamber of Khazad-dum
Site
Underground.

Ridiculously painful, but awesome.

kingmj4891 wrote:
3 •Morgai Foothills
Site

Blech! Sick I hate site control. Make it remove a couple of threats or a burden and I’ll be fine with it. And lem0n’s right about the your companion.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:51 pm
Guys, Brown Lands is a reprint (I should know, I loved it in my Moria archery deck).

That being said, I don’t think you can make too many suggestions to change it. I make it the original limit, and 0.
kingmj4891
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:38 pm
Sorry it has taken so long but here is the One Ring and Frodo reworked and new is the Dwarven Culture.....enjoy and please review....

• The One Ring, Burden of the Fellowship
STR+1
VIT+1
Ring-bearer must be a Fellowship Companion.
Fellowship: Add two burdens to play a fellowship hobbit or fellowship wizard from your draw deck.

Companion• Hobbit
STR 3
VIT 4
RES 7
Ring-Bearer. Fellowship.
Frodo is resistance +1 for each other Fellowship companion you can spot.

DWARVEN

2 • Gimli, Axe-Master Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
STR 6
VIT 3
RES 6
Fellowship. Damage +1.
While you can spot no other dwarfs Gimli is strength +1 and Damage +1.

2 Gloin, Dwarven Legend Dwarven
Follower
STR+2
Aid-3
If bearer is a Fellowship companion bearer is Damage +1.

2 • Gimli’s Battle Axe, Blood Spiller Dwarven
Possession• Hand Weapon
STR +2
Bear must be Gimli.
Bearer is Damage +1 (or +2 if you can spot 4 Fellowship companions.)
Skirmish: Exert Gimli and a Fellowship companion to make Gimli Strength +2 (Limit +2.)

2 Gimli’s Armor, Battle Tested Dwarven
Possession • Armor
RES +1
Bear must be an unbound Dwarven Companion.
Skirmish: Discard this possession to make a minion bearer is skirmishing lose all Damage bonuses.

1 • Gimli’s Helm, Head Gear Dwarven
RES+1
Possession • Helm
Bear must be Gimli.
He takes no more than 1 wound during each fierce skirmish phase.
Response: Discard this possession to prevent all wounds to him.

2 • Book of Mazarbul, Ancient Text Dwarven
Possession • Support Area
To play spot a dwarf.
At the start of the regroup phase if the fellowship is at a Underground site heal a dwarf or draw two cards.

2 Skull Bash
Event • Skirmish
Make Gimli strength +2 or exert Gimli to make a Fellowship companion Damage +2.

3 Underground Kingdom Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Spot a Dwarf to play a Dwarven Possession or Dwarven Artifact from draw deck or discard pile.

5 •Dwarf from Erebor Dwarven
Condidtion
Plays on a Fellowship companion (except the ring-bearer.)
Skirmish: Discard this condition to have a Dwarf replace this companion in a skirmish.

2 •Dwarven Kingdom Dwarven
Condition
Gimli is strength +2 and Damage +1 while the fellowship is at an underground site.

4 Dwarven Craftsmen Dwarven
Condition
Each time the fellowship moves add 1.
Dwarven possessions may not be discarded by shadow players.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards