LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:47 pm
Introduction to the Concept

Those who once played Star Wars CCG when it died a horrible death may remember that the Players’ Committee continued making ‘Virtual’ cards. This would involve taking old cards that nobody used (because they were totally useless – a big issue with the early SW and LOTR cards) and making alternate texts so that they’d be useful.

A classic example of this is the SW card ‘Tarkin’. The original version had a text like this:

That’s right – it was totally blank! Shocked

The Virtual card, with the title ‘Tarkin (V)’ had a text like this:

‘Adds one battle destiny with Vader (or against a Rebel at a mobile site). Spies and Jar Jar may not deploy to Death Star. May subtract 2 from the Force retrieved from On The Edge or Off The Edge. Once per game, may download Put All Sections On Alert, Hyperwave Scan, or an ISB agent.’

Even if you don’t know anything about the game itself, it’s clear which of the two was more useful, and they also changed his stats, deploy cost and forfeit value, to make in the end, a pretty decent card, which I in fact use in one of my decks. They did this with a whole load of other cards, not just ones without game text.

As another example, the card ‘Stormtrooper’ had this text:

‘Deploys free to same site as one of your Imperials with ability > 2.’

Stormtrooper (V)’ had this text:

‘Destiny +2 when drawn for weapon or battle destiny. While armed with a Blaster Rifle, forfeit +2 and draws one battle destiny if not able to otherwise.’

These two cards do completely different things, and though it’s clear the second is more useful, you could make an argument to use either.

What the SWCCGPC did was make printable versions of the bottom half of the cards covering up stats and game texts but leaving the picture, title and lore text the same. Imagine this is working in the same way, except because the lore is at the bottom it’s being covered as well.

Tasks and Rules

In this contest, there will be a series of cards which nobody uses which will be from Fellowship Block. Your task will be to make a Virtual version of these cards which I will specify in each round. It should:

1) Have the same title (with a (V) attached to the end)
2) Have the same twilight cost, culture, type and sub-type
3) Have whatever attributes or attribute modifiers you think appropriate
4) Have a different text, maybe similar, but could also be on completely different lines
5) Have a lore which you want, it’s really up to you - you can keep the same lore or put in your own, it doesn’t really matter.

(Bad) Example

So, say I choose ‘Legolas, Greenleaf’ (I obviously wouldn’t, but this is so I don’t give anything away). Then your card might look like this:

2 • Legolas, Greenleaf (V) Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 13
Vit: 21
Res: 99
Archer. Hunter 3000. Damage +13.
Maneuver: Make Legolas a god until the regroup phase.
As if noone uses Legolas!

Obviously you’d lose because it’s ridiculously unfair and totally unoriginal (Greenleaf is already a god Razz) but you get the general idea.

Format

I haven’t quite decided on the format of the contest yet, but I suspect it will be a cumulative contest without eliminations so that there is maximum participation and the widest possible range of cards. Voting is compulsory for participants.

The number of rounds depends on the amount of enthusiasm, but I’m hoping we can keep it going for 10 rounds.

There will also be some prizes as donated by Anvar for at least first and second place which will be decided upon later.

To join, just post below and we’ll start when we have enough people, or January 26th, whichever comes first..

Contestants:
Anvar
AgentDrake
lem0nhead
elf lvr
Dain Ironfoot
NBarden
sickofpalantirs
LeoKula
AnxiousChieftain
Anonymous Prodigy
CarpeGuittarrem
Hobbiton Lad
Thranduil
NappyKorn

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:36 am; edited 27 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Anvar
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:55 pm
Ooh! Me me me!

I’m definitely in, great idea Wink

Anvar
menace64
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:08 pm
I’m game.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:10 pm
Me! Good old FotR...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
AgentDrake
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:00 am
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
"I, too, shall join the battle!"
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
lem0nhead
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:31 am
Certainty of death, small chance of survival...

What are we waiting for?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:16 am
Excellent (imagine that I just did the classic Mr Burns pose).

Let’s keep ’em coming!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Anvar
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:28 am
Presumably you should add your own name to the list...

Anvar
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:50 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Sounds fun. Count me in. Thumbs Up
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:51 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Sounds fun. Count me in. Thumbs Up
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards