LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:59 pm
Got it, making 9 altogether.

Waiting on:

SoP
DI
SM

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 am
Yeah isnt it odd how 2 of the most active in this forum are the hardest to get DC’s from. Like blood from a stone i tell you!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:34 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I thought this would be pretty easy, but it was ridiculously hard to do without just scrapping the original card completely and doing something entirely different. I hate my own entry. Sick But it is finally in.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:09 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
I thought this would be pretty easy, but it was ridiculously hard to do without just scrapping the original card completely and doing something entirely different.

I hear that. My thoughts exactly dude. I wanted to do a proper job and what i thought would be simple turned out to be a balancing nightmare

DáinIronfoot wrote:
I hate my own entry. Sick

Fortunately im pretty pleased with mine, could be better, but could be much worse.
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:34 am
Luckily this round is a bit of an introduction. You’ll get a better feel for what you’re doing later (I hope!).

Received all the cards, but I’ll wait until this evening as there’s still some feedback to sort out.

Great turnout, though, and all before the deadline as well! I’m touched! Very Happy

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:18 am
Right: it’s now over the deadline and I’m going to post the cards.

I’m hoping I caught any balance issues, but even if I didn’t, content and ideas should be more important than balance when voting.

Loads of different takes on it, and funnily enough 3 people changed the lore on the original to the exact same line! Very Happy

I should also apologise that I made a mistake: the rarity of this card is not ’R’, it is ’V’ and I have changed the cards accordingly. I may have also corrected grammar and formatting, and made abilities clearer.

I’m going to post them anonymously (because that seems to be all the rage at the moment) and you should vote for your favourite 3 in order (obviously without voting for yourself).

I think that this round will also be slightly weighted so that it makes a smaller impact on the contest as a whole as it is in part finding our feet with a new concept.

The voting will end on Sunday 3rd and the second round will shortly follow.

And so, without further ado, here they are:

AgentDrake
0 The Weight of a Legacy (V) Sauron
Condition
Str: -1
To play, exert a Sauron Orc.
Bearer must be a companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time bearer loses a skirmish, you may exert a Sauron minion to add a burden.
"’The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness.’"
1 V 282

lem0nhead
Condition
To play, exert a Sauron minion. Plays to your support area.
While you can spot Aragorn, each companion loses all damage bonuses and cannot gain damage bonuses.
Assignment: Discard this condition to assign a Sauron Orc to a companion (except the Ring-bearer). The Free Peoples player may add a burden to prevent this.
"’It is because of Men, the Ring survives.... I was there the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

AnxiousChieftan
Condition
To play, spot a Sauron Orc. Plays to your support area.
Regroup: Discard a Sauron Orc and spot an exhausted Man to add a burden (or 2 burdens if that Man is Aragorn). Discard this condition or remove 3.
"’It is because of Men, the Ring survives.... I was there the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

menace64
Condition
To play, exert a Sauron Orc. Plays to your support area.
Response: If a Free Peoples Man loses a skirmish, spot a Sauron minion to transfer this condition from your support area to that Man.
While borne by a Man, each time a burden is added, the Free Peoples player must exert a Man companion.
"’It is because of Men, the Ring survives... I was there the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

elf lvr
Condition.
Each time a companion is placed in the dead pile, add a burden.
Skirmish: If you can spot 6 companions, place a Gondor Man (except the Ring-bearer) skirmishing a Sauron minion in the dead pile. Discard this condition.
"’It is because of Men, the Ring survives... I was there, the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

NBarden
Condition
Plays on a companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
Exert bearer at the end of each turn bearer has not been assigned to a skirmish (and another companion was).
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, you may heal bearer to make him strength -1.
"’It is because of Men the Ring survives.... I was there the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

LeoKula
Condition
Each time the fellowship moves, spot a Free Peoples artifact to add 1 (or add 1 for each Free Peoples artifact if you can spot Aragorn).
"’...still sharp, but no more than a broken heirloom...’"
1 V 282

Anvar
Condition
To play, exert a Sauron minion.
Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-Bearer).
Each time bearer is assigned to a skirmish, you may make the Free Peoples player choose a card in their discard pile that is the same culture as bearer. Remove this card from the game to make bearer strength -1 until the regroup phase.
"’It is because of Men, the Ring survives... I was there the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

CarpeGuitarrem
Condition
Vit: -1
To play, spot a Gondor companion and discard 2 Sauron cards from hand.
Bearer must be an unexhausted unbound Man.
"The same blood flows in my veins... the same weakness."
1 V 282

sickofpalantirs
Condition
Res: -1
To play exert a Sauron Orc.
Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
If bearer is a Man, each time bearer is assigned to skirmish, the Free Peoples player must choose to add a burden or exert a companion.
“”It is because of man the ring still survives... I was there the day the strength of Man failed.”“
1 V 282

Shieldmaiden
Condition
Plays to your support area.
Skirmish:You may exert a Sauron Orc to make a companion bearing an artifact strength -2.
"...the same blood flows through my veins, the same weakness."
1 V 282

DainIronfoot
Condition
To play, exert a Sauron minion. Plays on a Man companion.
Bearer is strength -1 for every 2 burdens you can spot (limit -3).
“‘Isildur took it, as should not have been. It should have been cast then into Orodruin’s fire nigh at hand where it was made....But Isildur would not listen to our counsel.’”
1 V 282
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:06 am; edited 3 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:21 am
Thranduil wrote:

Condition
Each time bearer loses a skirmish, you may exert a Sauron minion to add a burden.
1 V 282

Very nice i like the card but it has nothing to do with the weight of a legacy.

Condition
While you can spot Aragorn, each companion loses all damage bonuses and cannot gain damage bonuses.
Assignment: Discard this condition to assign a Sauron Orc to a companion (except the Ring-bearer). The Free Peoples player may add a burden to prevent this.
1 V 282

A nice tie in with the title and a useful ability for old school red eyes.

Condition
Regroup: Discard a Sauron Orc and spot an exhausted Man to add a burden (or 2 burdens if that Man is Aragorn). Discard this condition or remove 3.
1 V 282

Very much like it, good card and ties in with the title well. Nice reprint.

Condition
Response: If a Free Peoples Man loses a skirmish, spot a Sauron minion to transfer this condition from your support area to that Man.
While borne by a Man, each time a burden is added, the Free Peoples player must exert a Man companion.
1 V 282

Nice i do like the idea, but awkward wording.

Condition.
Skirmish: If you can spot 6 companions, place a Gondor Man (except the Ring-bearer) skirmishing a Sauron minion in the dead pile. Discard this condition.
"’It is because of Men, the Ring survives... I was there, the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

Think this is too OP ESPECIALLY as its cant be unique. Four of these is insane.

Condition
Exert bearer at the end of each turn bearer has not been assigned to a skirmish (and another companion was).
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, you may heal bearer to make him strength -1.
"’It is because of Men the Ring survives.... I was there the day the strength of Men failed.’"
1 V 282

Its ok.

Condition
Each time the fellowship moves, spot a Free Peoples artifact to add 1 (or add 1 for each Free Peoples artifact if you can spot Aragorn).
1 V 282

Fantastic, really like this card, captures a good feel for the title.

Condition
Each time bearer is assigned to a skirmish, you may make the Free Peoples player choose a card in their discard pile that is the same culture as bearer. Remove this card from the game to make bearer strength -1 until the regroup phase.
1 V 282

Nothing to do with the title or old school red eye orcs. Not a fan as its slightly UP as well.

Condition
1 V 282

Not bad.

Condition
If bearer is a Man, each time bearer is assigned to skirmish, the Free Peoples player must choose to add a burden or exert a companion.
“”It is because of man the ring still survives... I was there the day the strength of Man failed.”“
1 V 282

Simple yet effective and an attempt to tie in with the title and lore.

Condition
Skirmish: Exert a Sauron Orc to make a companion bearing an artifact strength -2.
1 V 282

Where does this play to? No requirements to play? Apart from those mistakes i think its waaaay too OP. Exert ANY sauron orc? With a couple out youre gonna have a 0 strength companion in no time, as most people have an artifact or 2 in their decks.

Condition
“‘Isildur took it, as should not have been. It should have been cast then into Orodruin’s fire nigh at hand where it was made....But Isildur would not listen to our counsel.’”
1 V 282

Cool and different lore. Nice effort.

My votes are for 7 3 and 10 in that order.
LeoKula
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am
Thranduil wrote:

Condition
1 V 282

Interesting! Corrupting orcs would love this.

Condition
1 V 282

Very good, just a bonus if Aragorn’s there but it’s still useful without him.

Condition
1 V 282

Cool! Ties in with the lore and adds burdens!

Condition
1 V 282

Strange indeed. Reminds me of Gates of the Dead City, but this one is too hard to do for a small benefit.

Condition.
1 V 282

Ouch!! A bit too much maybe.

Condition
1 V 282

Very strange, don’t really see a point here.

Condition
1 V 282

Cool card, ties in with the title.

Condition
1 V 282

Don’t really get it.

Condition
1 V 282

Strange wording and kind of a weak card. Would prefer if it had a higher cost and didn’t have the second part maybe.

Condition
1 V 282

Cool.

Condition
Skirmish: Exert a Sauron Orc to make a companion bearing an artifact strength -2.
1 V 282

hmm interesting... shame on RB’s with artifacts! Really liked it.

Condition
1 V 282

interesting as well, but would need a lot of burdens to work, and burdens deck can’t waste space with cards like this that lower strength.

Going with #2, #11 and #3 in this order.
If you have a MW Éomer, Horsemaster, please let me know what you want for it Smile
Thranduil
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:53 pm
This is not me voting (I need some more time to think on that one) but there were just a few things I thought I’d point out:

#1 wrote:
Condition
1 V 282

I think this card is definitely to do with the a legacy weighing you down. I liked it especially because it was one of the broadest - while I see the connection between the title and Aragorn/Gondor/Men, I think that really everyone has a legacy and it didn’t need to only apply to them. The Elves for example have their legacy of exile from Valinor and the wars with Morgoth, the Dwarves from their lost treasures and holds etc. In fact, I think I was overall surprised how many cards did specifically reference Men or Gondor.

#5 wrote:
Condition.
1 V 282

I actually hadn’t thought about uniqueness when I reviewed this card. Even then, I think it’s probably just balanced - Enquea is a MUCH worse punishment for 6 companions and it requires 4 exertions to get 4 burdens on the off-chance you kill someone. That said, perhaps a response action with a cost of some variety would have been better in bypassing non-uniqueness.

#8 wrote:
Condition
1 V 282

Sorry, I should have mentioned something about this card: the author mentioned explicitly that they were trying to represent the past affecting the future to reflect the title.

#11 wrote:
Condition
Plays to your support area.
1 V 282

Sorry, I should have caught up on the missing play requirements. So I’ve since added the crucial line.

Thanks lem0n and LK who have already voted! Thumbs Up

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.

it was hard to decide between 11 and 10.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards