LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
A long time ago (in a forum very, very near), I began spoiling cards from my final DC set, The Third Age. This set was intended as somewhat of a bookend to my first set--Lasting Alliances, centered around The Hobbit and, to a lesser extent, the Last Alliance of Elves of Men--by bringing back some of the Last Alliance, a little Hobbit, and lots of other "Reflections"-type stuff into one, massive, fun set. I also named it after another major theme I intended to build into the set: cards based around the game The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which I played and LOVED. In fact, as time went on, I determined that characters and events from that game would form the basis of the set.

As I said, a long while back, I began spoiling cards from this set. Reviews were mixed, partly because I was still in my infancy of DC-making when I made most of the cards, and I had not yet actually played LOTR TCG (which has given me a new perspective on DC creation).

However, I also STOPPED spoiling those cards a long while ago, partly because of the reviews and partly because the thread was rather cluttered. So now, I want to take another stab at it.

I have decided to rename the set Ages of Middle-earth, since it won’t be limited to the actual Third Age. Razz I may even end up making two sets out of it, but we’ll see.

For now, here are a few of the cards that I’ve already posted elsewhere, as well as a couple new ones. Updates in this thread will probably be rather sporatic, at least until I decide to focus one or two cultures as I’ve been doing for my other sets recently. Fow now, just consider these cards a teaser of sorts. Smile Enjoy!

4Berethor, Warrior of Gondor Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Vitality: 4
Signet: Gandalf
Knight.
When Berethor is in your starting fellowship, his twilight cost is -2.
Response: If Berethor is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard a possession he bears to prevent that wound.
“‘I am Berethor, Captain of the Citadel Guard of Gondor.’”

Berethor is the main star of LOTR TTA. He is a former lieutenant of Boromir that is sent by Denethor to follow his overdue son (and we all know WHY he ends up overdue), and winds up in Rivendell at the outset of the game. He leads the mini-fellowship that forms throughout the rest of the game, crossing--or sometimes directly following--the Fellowship’s path through Eregion, Moria, Rohan, and ultimately Gondor.

As such a major character, Berethor will get his own signet, making Gondor the only two-signet culture in my sets (and breaking my own semi-rule on that subject Rolling Eyes). His signet will be more multi-culture-friendly than most signets, bringing together Gondorians, Rohirrim, Dwarves, and Elves...just as Berethor himself did in the game.

This particular version of Berethor is the "common" one. He has gobs of possessions in the game (helms, armor, swords, shields, rings, etc.), so I figured a possession-friendly ability made sense. There will be lots of new Gondor possessions for him to play with, too. Smile

Oh, and you may or may not remember that Berethor also appears in The Way Into Mordor (on the last page of the Gondor thread, actually). Each of the six heroes of TTA will get one version in one of my three Lord of the Rings-centric sets, and at least 2 versions in THIS set.

3Idrial, Maiden of Lothlórien Elven
Companion • Elf
Strength: 6
Signet: Elrond
At the end of each fellowship phase, you may exert Idrial to take an Elven spell into hand from your draw deck.
Maneuver or Regroup: Exert Idrial to heal another companion (and add 1 unless that companion has the Elrond or Berethor signet).
“‘I am Idrial. I serve Galadriel, Lady of the Light.’”

Idrial, like Berethor, has appeared in one of my sets already: The Road Ahead, obviously as part of the Elven culture (scroll down in that link to see her). That older version plays to one of her strengths in TTA: healing. This version plays mainly to her other strength: spells. Yes, my friends, spells are no longer Gandalf/Isengard- exclusives. Spells of other cultures will be sparse, but the Elven culture will benefit most from their expansion.

And so will Idrial. As a spell-caster (using "Loudwater Fury" and "Water Stallion", both powerful water-based attacks), she makes up in magical power what she lacks in physical prowess.

But she is still chiefly a healer, and so this version also gets some of that. Interestingly, while these TTA characters, as I said already, get their own signet to use (Berethor), this one makes my sets’ Elrond signet much more viable as well, don’t you think? Smile

2Elegost, Ranger from Arnor Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Signet: Berethor
Ranger. Archer. Hunter 1.
While skirmishing a Warg or Creature, Elegost is strength +2.
The Shadow number of each forest, mountain, and plains site is -1.
“‘I am Elegost, a ranger.’”

We’ve also seen Elegost before...in the same place we saw Berethor, actually. Folks were up in arms about him being an archer, but as lem0n pointed out, that’s pretty much a must if you’ve seen his character in TTA. This version is a bit weaker than that one was, but like it, this version focuses on a couple specific races. Wargs might seem odd until you consider that they appear in ALL my sets (especially Lasting Alliances and The Way Into Mordor, and in no less than three cultures. Creature REALLY seems odd, since right now the only Creatures we’ve seen are the Watcher in the Water and its tentacles. The Watcher IS back in a big way in this set, but it’ll have a little company. Twisted Evil

4Hadhod, Dwarven Companion Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
Skirmish: Exert Hadhod to make a companion of another race damage +1.
Response: If another companion (except the Ring-bearer) is about to take a wound, exert Hadhod and add a threat to prevent that wound.
“‘I am Hadhod, clan of Fundin.’”

Hadhod is Elegost’s buddy, and searching for him (the two were seperated during Saruman’s storm on Caradhras) is the reason the ranger joins up with you in the first place. Once they find Hadhod, they both stick around, and the Dwaf is an invaluable asset in guiding the others through Moria...and anytime they battle. Hadhod is a bruiser--as you’d expect of any good Dwarf--but he also helps out his companions, especially in terms of not offense, but defense. He is able to (temporarily) shield them from enemy attack using Dwarven spells--Hadhod’s probably the best spell-caster behind Idrial--and thus the wound-prevention ability of this version was born. While other versions (like the one you already saw in The Road Ahead) focus mainly on himself, this version makes your whole fellowship tougher.

2Morwen, Vengeful Maiden Rohan
Companion • Man
Villager. Valiant.
Skirmish: Exert Morwen to make her strength +1 for each Gondor and Rohan character in your dead pile and each Gondor and Rohan follower in your discard pile.
“‘I am the shieldmaiden, Morwen.’”

There’s a LONG gap between when Hadhod joins your party and you get another companion--partly because the trek through Moria that lies between is so friggin’ long--but when you reach Rohan, you get TWO. The first is Morwen, formerly of Gondor, but exiled to Rohan for reasons we find out as TTA progresses. She’s a fiery woman, determined to find her family after they’re separated during the Dunlending raids on the Westfold. She’s your party’s thief, and can quite literally steal items out from under your enemies’ noses. That aspect will certainly come into play in the set, giving the Rohan culture some new strategies, but she’s also a bruiser later in the game with her twin axes.

This version can become a bit of a bruiser too, using your dead/discarded Gondor AND Rohan stuff to become beastly. Other than that, though, she’s a tad weak (although she can get some unusual-for-companion benefits thanks to being a villager), hence the reason this version is the common one.

3Éaoden, Outrider of the Royal Guard Rohan
Companion • Man
Signet: Théoden
Valiant.
When you play Éaoden, you may play a Rohan possession with a twilight cost of 1 or less on him from your draw deck.
At the end of each assignment phase, if Éaoden is not assigned to a skirmish, you may exert him to exert a minion and heal a companion assigned to skirmish that minion.
“‘I am Eaoden of the Riddermark, a Rider of Rohan.’”

Last to join but certainly not last in place of importance, Éaoden is not your typical warrior. For one thing, he fights exclusively with a spear (and rather well, too!). But he’s also a nice healer in his own right, able to drain health and skill from the enemy and distribute it to your party in TTA (represented by his assignment ability here). He remains a bad muther with his spear, though, and can dish out some good old beatdowns when the time calls for it. Like Berethor, he jist gets better and better with more possessions, gaining helms, shields, and many armor enhancements as you go (hence the possession thing with this version).

So, that should be enough to whet your appetites. If not, here’s a few things you can expect to find in this set:

- A big comeback for Moria, including new versions of The Balrog and The Watcher in the Water!

- Elfstones, a whole new type of artifact, along with more artifacts and possessions than you can shake an Andúril at!

- Unusual minions like Wraith Trolls, Wargs (without riders!), spell-casting goblins, and non-unique Nazgûl!

- Spells in cultures they’ve never been seen in before, like Elven, Dwarven, Wraith, and Moria!

- Old favorites portrayed in a new light, like a damage-capable Legolas, a Balrog (and other nasties)-hating Gandalf, a (built-in) Andúril-bearing Aragorn, a fighting Gríma, and more!

- A grand hurrah to cards, cultures, and themes established in my other sets!

Should be fun. Smile Tune back...uh, sometime...for more.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:35 pm; edited 7 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:57 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Knight.
Response: If Berethor is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard a possession he bears to prevent that wound.

should it be While berethor is in...? coolio.

Companion • Elf
At the end of each fellowship phase, you may exert Idrial to take an Elven spell into hand from your draw deck.
Maneuver or Regroup: Exert Idrial and add 1 to heal another companion (twice if that companion has the Elrond signet).

if she serves galadriel why is her signet elrond? Razz works for me.

Companion • Man
Each time the fellowship moves to a forest, mountain, or plains site, place no twilight token for Elegost.

ARCHER WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING Wink.the wording might be messed up on the second ability, as it has never been done before...

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
Skirmish: Exert Hadhod twice to make a companion of another race damage +1.
Response: If another companion (except the Ring-bearer) is about to take a wound, exert Hadhod and add a threat to prevent that wound.

make the skirmish ability once.

Companion • Man
Villager.
While you can spot a valiant Man, Morwen is valiant.
Skirmish: Exert Morwen to make her strength +1 for each Gondor and Rohan character and follower in your dead and discard piles.
“‘I am the Shieldmaiden, Morwen.’”

I would cut the follower and just leave it at character

Companion • Man
Valiant.
When you play Éaoden, you may play a Rohan possession on him from your draw deck.
At the end of each assignment phase, if Éaoden is not assigned to a skirmish, you may exert him to exert a minion and heal a companion assigned to skirmish that minion.
cool!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:07 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight.

I think I’d rather his cost reduction was more limited, if only to another Man or perhaps Elegost (because that is presumably the rationale behind that ability). An interesting card, though. Also, why Gandalf signet?

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Elf
Maneuver or Regroup: Exert Idrial and add 1 to heal another companion (twice if that companion has the Elrond signet).

Interesting. Depending on how much healing she has and the power of Elven spells, I’d be tempted to take out the twilight adding. But an excellent representation of the game (though she always had very low health).

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Each time the fellowship moves to a forest, mountain, or plains site, place no twilight token for Elegost.

Your lores for these guys are inspired! Razz That ability is a bit too abstract. I think I’d much prefer if it made the Shadow number -1 which also makes it slightly less powerful for someone who I think is probably too good. Also, does he really need that bonus strength? With all his amazing keywords and choke ability, I think I’d take that off and put it on his cloak or bow or something.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.

Have I pointed out that ’Hadhod’ name means ’Dwarf’ in Sindarin? Very Happy I think he’s good, but probably doesn’t need to exert twice for his first ability.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Villager.
Skirmish: Exert Morwen to make her strength +1 for each Gondor and Rohan character and follower in your dead and discard piles.

Villager companion, eh? I think I’d just give her Valiant and be done with it. She probably deserves it. I also think you need to somehow make it clearer that the followers also have to be Gondor and Rohan, because you could easily argue that’s not what it says. I like her though.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Valiant.
When you play Éaoden, you may play a Rohan possession on him from your draw deck.

Such a ridiculously unoriginal name, but never mind. Awesome card all round though.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:34 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Having actually played this game to completion its even cooler for me to see these companions. Though i dont know if you found this but by the time you find all the other companions your fellowship is already strong enough with idrial berethor and hadhod that you dont use the other guys really. Elegost is cool but his archery never does enough damage and seems to drink experince points. As for the rohan guys they come FAR too late in the game to make them anywhere near as useful as the other guys. i soon abandoned them and levelled up my other 3 (maybe 4) guys.

Its a good game but definately not replayable i dont think.

Companion • Man
Knight.

Awesome.

Companion • Elf

I think the heal twice bit makes her too OP. Its cool and i like you trying to use the signets but thats just solid. Im not sure i like 3 cost 6/4 comps. Couldnt you make her classic 2/6/3?

And so will Idrial. As a spell-caster (using "Loudwater Fury" and "Water Stallion", both powerful water-based attacks), she makes up in magical power what she lacks in physical prowess.

Those rock! I love killing orcs that surprise attack you with this it crushes them!

Companion • Man

Yay, Elegost is a cool archer. And his weak strength balances that. He fights like a mincer in the game if he gets hit. I love the tie in against the watcher cos he’s the only one u can really attack with. Berethor is useless. I just used him to boost elegost’s damage! Really cool DI.

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.

I hope youre gonna make dwarf spells for this guy. His fire wave thing is ace! and his rock wall! This version is ok.

Companion • Man
Villager.

Interesting. Fair enough.

Companion • Man
Valiant.

You intend to allow him to be armed in your starting fellowship? I like the idea but i think its an odd precedent. Very odd gametext as well but cool.

I hope you do lots of stealth cards as the minions are always attacking you when you least expect it!

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:25 am
lem0nhead wrote:
Having actually played this game to completion its even cooler for me to see these companions. Though i dont know if you found this but by the time you find all the other companions your fellowship is already strong enough with idrial berethor and hadhod that you dont use the other guys really. Elegost is cool but his archery never does enough damage and seems to drink experince points. As for the rohan guys they come FAR too late in the game to make them anywhere near as useful as the other guys. i soon abandoned them and levelled up my other 3 (maybe 4) guys.

Its a good game but definately not replayable i dont think.

Agreed, for the most part. Morwen is decent if you spend a LOT of time building her up, but while her attack are strong, she just dies way too easily, so I usually don’t bother. I’ve given her the elfstone that gives Shadow spells before, though, and made her like my dark wizard. Twisted Evil Éaoden is actually pretty good and, in my experience, can level up much faster and more effectively than Morwen. His attacks are actually comparable to Berethor and Hadhod if you work on him for a bit, and with his crazy abilities to pull health and AP from the enemy and feast on it himself or transfer it to others, he can be just as effective a healer as Idrial (except being incapable of bringing back to life). I like using Berethor, Hadhod, and Éaoden in the late game for maximum beatdowns and HP/AP manipulation, bringing in the other three more as "specialists" when I need them. Smile

Oh, and Elegost’s "True Shot" is awesome, as is the storm he can cast. If you take the time to level him up, he’s very useful even late...though the best thing about him is his ability to put lots of guys to sleep with his (eventually) all-hitting, permanent sleeping arrows. Now THOSE are OP! Razz

Replayability...eh, it’s fun if you come back a year later and play on Hard for the first time (as I am whenever I have time now). And Evil Mode is alright and lets you get stuff to give your good guys, so that ain’t bad. I have yet to get my wife to play 2-player with me, but if I could, that would be fun too. Smile It’s not great for replayability, no, but it’s varied enough to be interesting for a while. Thumbs Up

Anyone, on to comments.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Knight.

should it be While berethor is in...? coolio.

Maybe. It’s kinda dicey. Big D typically used "when" or "if", but was far from consistent with it. I think I’ll leave it as is, since I know for a fact they used "when" at least sometimes. Razz

Thranduil wrote:
I think I’d rather his cost reduction was more limited, if only to another Man or perhaps Elegost (because that is presumably the rationale behind that ability). An interesting card, though. Also, why Gandalf signet?

The cost reduction is simply because, in the game, you start out with him, so I figured that it made sense to have a version that started very cheaply. And the Gandalf signet is because he has Gandalf in his head most of the game. Razz He has a unique tie to our favorite wizard.

lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
3•[b]Idrial, Maiden of Lothlórien Elven
Companion • Elf

I think the heal twice bit makes her too OP. Its cool and i like you trying to use the signets but thats just solid. Im not sure i like 3 cost 6/4 comps. Couldnt you make her classic 2/6/3?

The reason her vitality is so high, lem0n and Thran, is that most of the spells (and other abilities I "import" from TTA) will require exerting. It’s the easiest way to represent their limited AP, in my opinion. So I wanted Idrial to have above-average spell (and ability) capability. Granted, it makes her harder to kill, but even THAT kind of makes sense when you consider that you could always cast that auto-revive skill on her and keep her from REALLY dying. Razz (It was ususally the first thing I did with her every battle once she had that skill.)

I will think on the OPness of the double-healing, though. SoP and Thran seemed to think it was okay...maybe another review or two to decide?

Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man

Your lores for these guys are inspired! Razz That ability is a bit too abstract. I think I’d much prefer if it made the Shadow number -1 which also makes it slightly less powerful for someone who I think is probably too good. Also, does he really need that bonus strength? With all his amazing keywords and choke ability, I think I’d take that off and put it on his cloak or bow or something.

Yeah, I pulled the lore from their introduction teaser trailers that EA did back when the game came out. Razz I’ve been having a hard time getting a copy of the game’s script, though I’m slowly piecing it together and will have better lore once I do. Angel

I’ll make the Shadow number change. Good idea. Thumbs Up

I’ll leave the built-in strength boost, since SoP didn’t seem to have a problem with it and lem0n really liked it. Smile

sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.

make the skirmish ability once.

Thranduil wrote:
I think he’s good, but probably doesn’t need to exert twice for his first ability.

Okay. I’ll change it to just once.

lem0nhead wrote:
I hope youre gonna make dwarf spells for this guy. His fire wave thing is ace! and his rock wall!

Yeah, there will be a couple of Dwarven spells. Cool Just a couple, though...I don’t want a bunch of mini-Wizards running around. Razz

Thranduil wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Villager.

Villager companion, eh? I think I’d just give her Valiant and be done with it. She probably deserves it. I also think you need to somehow make it clearer that the followers also have to be Gondor and Rohan, because you could easily argue that’s not what it says. I like her though.

Duly noted, and since she IS kind of lacking, I’ll make the valiant thing a default. That’ll give me more room to make the follower thing clearer anyway. Razz

lem0nhead wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Valiant.

You intend to allow him to be armed in your starting fellowship? I like the idea but i think its an odd precedent.

Yes, that was intentional. I figured it couldn’t hurt, even if it hasn’t been done before. After all, the guy’s fulled armed with spear, armor, and even a HORSE when you find him.

Okay, I have some more cards, but would prefer another review or two first to help me decide which way to lean on a couple on these. Any takers? Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AgentDrake
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:59 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Knight.

Nice.

Companion • Elf

I dunno. Healing up to six times per turn, with a cost of 3 and three exertions on Idrial seems a little OP, especially if you can do it in Regroup after all the minions beat up on your companions. I’d take out the heal twice part.

Companion • Man
The Shadow number of each forest, mountain, and plains site is -1.

Well, I think the strength bonus is fine. Farin and Fror weren’t exactly great, and this guy’s other stuff (one archery wound and choke) make him more worth it. Looks fine to me, but maybe cut strength down to 4, especially as you already have Hunter on him.

Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1.
Skirmish: Exert Hadhod to make a companion of another race damage +1.

Looks good.

Companion • Man
Villager. Valiant.
Skirmish: Exert Morwen to make her strength +1 for each Gondor and Rohan character and each Gondor and Rohan follower in your dead and discard piles.

Nice. I think the clarification on Gondor/Rohan followers is unnecessary, but no reason not to have it, I guess.

Companion • Man
Valiant.

Um. So... if you start him and a possession in your Starting Fellowship, does the twilight cost of that weapon count against your 4? If not, I’d add a limit of cost 1 or less.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:05 pm
Dain Ironfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Villager. Valiant.
Skirmish: Exert Morwen to make her strength +1 for each Gondor and Rohan character and each Gondor and Rohan follower in your dead and discard piles.

Just been thinking. I think ’for each Gondor and Rohan character in your dead pile and each Gondor and Rohan follower in your discard pile’ scans a bit better.

AgentDrake wrote:
Um. So... if you start him and a possession in your Starting Fellowship, does the twilight cost of that weapon count against your 4? If not, I’d add a limit of cost 1 or less.

Such a possession would not count towards your twilight cost limit in your starting fellowship (I would suspect, but obviously it’s never been done before), which makes me more inclined to agree that it should be excluded.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:40 pm
Thanks for the reviews, all. I tweaked Idrial, Morwen, and Eaoden as recommended. Thanks again!

Now, here are some unusual artifacts. They introduce a new class: "elfstone".

In The Third Age, elfstones are just that: small stones filled with ancient Elven power. Some make your guys physically tougher, some weaken specific types of attacks, some strength your own attacks, some give you more HP or AP to work with, and some do very special things. They’re a big part of the game (each character can carry up to four, so they really become a big part of what makes up each character), so I simply had to include them here.

For now, I will leave the special ones out and do all the general ones. There are LOTS of them in the game: I have eliminated a few that don’t make much sense and narrowed the list to a still-substantial 10.

Since they ARE Elf-related, these all have Elven spotting requirements of some kind. I wouldn’t mind taking that out for some of them, though, if you all have specific recommendations that make sense.

Anyway, hope you all like them. Smile

0 Stone of Deftness Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
This artifact may be borne in addition to 1 other elfstone.
The twilight cost of each event you play during a skirmish involving bearer is -1.

As you can see, the "limit 1 per bearer" doesn’t seem to make sense since you normally can’t bear two of the same class of possession/artifact. But as you can see, you CAN usually bear more than one elfstone. I added the "limit 1" thing to make sure you didn’t just load up 2 or 3 of the same elfstone on someone.

Anyway, on to the others....

0 Stone of Endurance Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard a possession or artifact (except a weapon) borne by him or her to prevent that.

0 Stone of Vigor Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion.
If bearer has resistance 4 or more, he or she may take no more than one wound during each archery and each skirmish phase.

0 Stone of Conjury Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Archery or Skirmish: If bearer has resistance 4 or more, play a spell of bearer’s culture to make him or her strength +1 until the regroup phase.

0 Stone of Defense Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion.
This artifact may be borne in addition to up to 2 other elfstones.
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all damage bonuses from hand weapons.

0 Stone of Deflection Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
This artifact may be borne in addition to up to 2 other elfstones.
The minion archery total is -1.
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all damage bonuses from ranged weapons.

0 Stone of Resistance Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
To play, spot an Elf or Wizard. Bearer must be a companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
If bearer has resistance 4 or more, each Shadow event played during a skirmish involving bearer is twilight cost +1.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:30 pm
I understand the references to the game, but these titles are terrible and boring and very un-LotR. They need something that sound cool and suitably ancient and Elven, like:

Stone of Dexterity (action enhancement)
Stone of Vigor (health)
Stone of Vivacity (armour)
Stone of Deflection (defence)
Stone of Light (shadow protection)

They seem too powerful to me. I’d prefer if they were all 0 (following the Rule of Shape, after all Razz) with much more minor abilities.

Also, they don’t seem to deserve artifact-ness, I think I’d just leave them as possessions.

Good ideas, but I want generic upgrades like these that are cheaper and much less complicated.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:37 pm
Thranduil wrote:
I understand the references to the game, but these titles are terrible and boring and very un-LotR. They need something that sound cool and suitably ancient and Elven, like:

Stone of Dexterity (action enhancement)
Stone of Vigor (health)
Stone of Vivacity (armour)
Stone of Deflection (defence)
Stone of Light (shadow protection)

They seem too powerful to me. I’d prefer if they were all 0 (following the Rule of Shape, after all Razz) with much more minor abilities.

Also, they don’t seem to deserve artifact-ness, I think I’d just leave them as possessions.

Good ideas, but I want generic upgrades like these that are cheaper and much less complicated.

All good thoughts. You’re right about the names, especially.

Any ideas on how to "nerf" them a bit?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards