LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:41 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Thranduil wrote:
I understand the references to the game, but these titles are terrible and boring and very un-LotR. They need something that sound cool and suitably ancient and Elven, like:

Stone of Dexterity (action enhancement)
Stone of Vigor (health)
Stone of Vivacity (armour)
Stone of Deflection (defence)
Stone of Light (shadow protection)

They seem too powerful to me. I’d prefer if they were all 0 (following the Rule of Shape, after all Razz) with much more minor abilities.

Also, they don’t seem to deserve artifact-ness, I think I’d just leave them as possessions.

Good ideas, but I want generic upgrades like these that are cheaper and much less complicated.

All good thoughts. You’re right about the names, especially.

Any ideas on how to "nerf" them a bit?

Rather than have all those complex abilities, make them simpler. So maybe the Stone of Dexterity could be ’Each event you play in a skirmish involving this companion is twilight cost -1.’ The Stone of Vivacity could be ’Possessions borne by bearer cannot be discarded.’ The Stone of Vigor could say ’Bearer can take no more than 1 wound in a skirmish.’ Stuff like that.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Alright, Mr. Duil. Razz I took a stab at new names and text for the stones and brought all their costs down to 0. How do you like them now?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:18 pm
They’re awesome! GP

Though I think having that many artifacts might be pretty damn tough. Maybe you should make some Shadow cards that discard elfstones.

Only one I didn’t like was the Stone of Conjury. Maybe something about returning events to your hand from your discard pile?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:31 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Though I think having that many artifacts might be pretty damn tough. Maybe you should make some Shadow cards that discard elfstones.

There will be certain...drawbacks, yes. Whistle More on that later.

I may end up making them possessions, though, and just keeping the still-to-be-revealed special elfstones as artifacts. We’ll see.

Thranduil wrote:
Only one I didn’t like was the Stone of Conjury. Maybe something about returning events to your hand from your discard pile?

Hmmm...yeah, that one is a tad OP for a 0-cost card, I suppose. I’ll think on it and come up with something. Not super keen on your suggestion, but it’s not a bad one. I might do that after all.

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AgentDrake
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:11 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
DáinIronfoot wrote:

0 Stone of Conjury Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
This artifact may be borne in addition to 1 other elfstone.
Archery or Skirmish: If bearer has resistance 4 or more, play an event of bearer’s culture to make him or her strength +1 until the end of the regroup phase.

Alright, I like all of them except this one. Too OP.

I’d make it just work in bearer’s skirmish. Or else work with spells.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:20 pm
AgentDrake wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 Stone of Conjury Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Archery or Skirmish: If bearer has resistance 4 or more, play an event of bearer’s culture to make him or her strength +1 until the end of the regroup phase.

Alright, I like all of them except this one. Too OP.

I’d make it just work in bearer’s skirmish. Or else work with spells.

Spells! Brilliant idea. Thumbs Up Consider it done.

NBarden
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Thanks for the reviews, all. I tweaked Idrial, Morwen, and Eaoden as recommended. Thanks again!

Now, here are some unusual artifacts. They introduce a new class: "elfstone".

In The Third Age, elfstones are just that: small stones filled with ancient Elven power. Some make your guys physically tougher, some weaken specific types of attacks, some strength your own attacks, some give you more HP or AP to work with, and some do very special things. They’re a big part of the game (each character can carry up to four, so they really become a big part of what makes up each character), so I simply had to include them here.

For now, I will leave the special ones out and do all the general ones. There are LOTS of them in the game: I have eliminated a few that don’t make much sense and narrowed the list to a still-substantial 10.

Since they ARE Elf-related, these all have Elven spotting requirements of some kind. I wouldn’t mind taking that out for some of them, though, if you all have specific recommendations that make sense.

Anyway, hope you all like them. Smile

0 Stone of Deftness Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Each event you play during a skirmish involving bearer is twilight cost -1.

Heh. I don’t think its powerful enough. Matter of fact, I’d never use it. First of all, who plays skirmish events. Second, who cares about twilight in the skirmish. Only on a double, IMO. And the only deck with elves that runs events is the Bros, in which case the events already are twilight cost -2.

As you can see, the "limit 1 per bearer" doesn’t seem to make sense since you normally can’t bear two of the same class of possession/artifact. But as you can see, you CAN usually bear more than one elfstone. I added the "limit 1" thing to make sure you didn’t just load up 2 or 3 of the same elfstone on someone.

Why would that be a problem?

Anyway, on to the others....

0 Stone of Endurance Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard a possession or artifact borne by him or her to prevent that.

I’d like a vitality +1 bonus on top of it. Again, underpowered ability.

0 Stone of Vigor Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion.
If bearer has resistance 4 or more, he or she may take no more than one wound during each archery and skirmish phase.

This one I actually like, though I think that you could drop the resistance 4 down to 2.

0 Stone of Conjury Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Archery or Skirmish: If bearer has resistance 4 or more, play a spell of bearer’s culture to make him or her strength +1 until the end of the regroup phase.

End of the regroup phase, or just regroup phase? With the title, I’d like something like, each time you play an archery or skirmish event, you may exert bearer and reveal the top card of your draw deck to make him strength +X, where X is that card’s twilight cost. Stone of Conjury sounds like it needs to have something to do with telepathy.

0 Stone of Defense Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
This artifact may be borne in addition to up to 2 other elfstones.
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all damage bonuses from hand weapons.

Ick. 2 other elfstones gets to be a mess for the rulebooks. Make it one. And lose all damage bonuses period, otherwise the can’t take more that 1 per phase stone would be better, always.

0 Stone of Deflection Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
The minion archery total is -1.
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all damage bonuses from ranged weapons.

Again, why is it important to limit it to one per companion? If they want to waste it, their problem. Damage bonuses from RANGED weapons?!?! I think that something cool would be to drop the minion archery total ability and make it each time bearer is about to take a wound, exert another companion that shares a culture with him to prevent that wound. Throne of the Golden Hall-ish ability.

0 Stone of Resistance Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elf or Wizard. Bearer must be a companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each Shadow event played during a skirmish involving bearer is twilight cost +1.

Hm...I’d say add a resistance +1 bonus to it. And here, I actually like limit 1 per bearer. However, I have a feeling this is kinda a hit and miss ability, if they don’t run events, then you kinda miss. Like Strength of Kings, only a little worse. However, if its a hit, then its a hit dead-on, so IDK. I’d prefer something else.

If you hate these (somehow I have a feeling most people will Neutral), what might you suggest to fix them?

I love the idea, just make some changes.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:32 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

0 Stone of Deftness Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Each event you play during a skirmish involving bearer is twilight cost -1.

Phrase it "The twilight cost of each event you play during a skirmish involving bearer is -1." Thats my only nark. Cool though.

0 Stone of Endurance Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elven card. Bearer must be a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound in a skirmish, discard a possession or artifact borne by him or her to prevent that.

Good but quite powerful. This could mean its ages before bearer dies. Think of the possible scenarios. Limit it in someway please.

0 Stone of Vigor Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
If bearer has resistance 4 or more, he or she may take no more than one wound during each archery and skirmish phase.

I think another "each" is required before skirmish, this way it sounds like if they take a wound in archery you cant take one in skirmish. Giving anyone "Armor" seems more than alittle excessive anyway though. Id swap skirmish for maneuver or its too hard.

0 Stone of Conjury Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Archery or Skirmish: If bearer has resistance 4 or more, play a spell of bearer’s culture to make him or her strength +1 until the end of the regroup phase.

Sound.

0 Stone of Defense Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all damage bonuses from hand weapons.

Fair enough.

0 Stone of Deflection Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
The minion archery total is -1.
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all damage bonuses from ranged weapons.

Rightey ho.

0 Stone of Resistance Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an Elf or Wizard. Bearer must be a companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each Shadow event played during a skirmish involving bearer is twilight cost +1.

Wow thats good and powerful. Id condition it. Like some of your others, whilst you have res of 3 or 4 or something.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:11 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
really they all seemed find. I don’t like them being artifacts though.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:23 pm
NBarden, unfortunately you are in the vast minority in thinking most are underpowered. However, I did take a couple of your suggestions (and lem0n’s, too).

I think they’re as good as they’re going to get, so let’s move on to the special elfstones. As you’ll see, these do a lot more than just add a simple ability. Very Happy As such, they cost more and are unique. Anyway, enough babbling...enjoy!

0Stone of Craftmanship Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
To play, spot an elfstone. Bearer must be a companion.
At the start of each skirmish involving bearer, you may exert him or her to take a non-unique possession into hand from your draw deck or discard pile.

In The Third Age, this elfstone lets you create potions and other items your party can use...but only in battle. Therefore, I didn’t use it much, since it takes a LONG time before you can create anything truly useful, and in my opinion, it was better to just focus on beating things up than stopping to make stuff in the thick of battle. But I suppose that had I been more patient, it would have been VERY helpful...as I hope this artifact is.

0Stone of Fell Shadow Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Strength +1
Resistance -1
To play, spot a Shadow card or 2 burdens. Bearer must be a companion. If bearer is Ring-bound, bearer is resistance -1.
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a burden to choose one: discard each card borne by a minion; make a minion lose all game text keywords; or wound up to 2 minions. Limit once per skirmish.

In TTA, this was the first elfstone you got that allowed the learning of all-new abilities, including weakening enemies (and taking some of their enhancements away) or just doing some good, dark side-esqe damage. Twisted Evil I think this card represents that...I just hope it’s balanced. Anxious

0Stone of Pure Light Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
To play, spot an Elven artifact. Bearer must be a companion.
Skirmish: If bearer is not assigned to a skirmish, exert bearer and add a threat to choose one: heal a companion twice; remove the game text (except card type and race) of a minion; or exert up to 2 minions. Limit once per skirmish.

This elfstone is both similiar to and very, very different from Fell Shadow. It also allows learning new skills (including many of Idrial’s healing spells) and has damaging, light-based attacks later on. But it also focuses more on either helping your party (with healing) or immobilizing the enemy (which is, in my opinion, the most powerful skill in the game, since it completely locks up certain enemies for a long, LONG time and doesn’t let them do ANYTHING...and does lasting damage, to boot!).

Currently, this CAN be borne by the Ring-bearer, but I expect that may cause an outcry. If it does, I’m willing to change that.

And now for an elfstone that’s NOT from the game, but from Tolkien. Smile

0Stone of Eärendil Elven
Artifact • Elfstone
Resistance +1
To play, spot a unique Elf. Bearer must be Aragorn or a unique Elf.
At the start of each of your turns, you may choose one: add 3 to remove a burden; or add 2 to heal another companion.
“For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt.”

Not sure how THIS will strike people, either. Probably badly broken, but hey, I had to try. Smile This is the infamous Elessar (and the inspiration for that part of Aragorn’s later name), given to Aragorn by Galadriel at their parting in Lothlórien. Tolkien never really tells us what it’s for, but healing and burden removal both seemed to make a lot of sense to me.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 pm; edited 4 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards