LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
What Dark Side culture should be next?

Creature  
20%
  [ 2 ]  20%

Dark Jedi  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Empire  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Fringe (Dark Side)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Mandalorian  
40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

Separatist  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Wild Space (Dark Side)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Yuuzhan Vong  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Total Votes : 10
menace64
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:16 pm
After successfully introducing twelve cultures in the other thread, I feel confident enough to begin work on a specific culture: Jedi (Gandalf). I will be designing cards for this culture for a little while, and I’ll let y’all choose the next culture to get this treatment (which, to spread things out, will be a Dark Side culture).

So, vote if you’d like. Here are the three Gandalf cards written-up already:

3 ∙Obi-Wan Kenobi, Old Ben Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-5
Vitality-3
Resistance-8
Knight. While bearing a lightsaber, Obi-Wan Kenobi is strength +3.
Alliance: If the alliance is at a sanctuary site, play a companion; his or her twilight cost is -1.

2 ∙Obi-Wan’s Lightsaber Gandalf
Artifact ∙ Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Lightsaber. Bearer must be Obi-Wan Kenobi (or a destined companion with resistance 7 or more).
During a fierce skirmish, bearer is damage +1.

5 ∙Mace Windu, Warrior-general Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-10
Vitality-3
Resistance-7
Knight. Leader. To play, spot 2 Gandalf knights.
Each time Mace Windu wins a skirmish, you may return an opponent’s condition to his or her hand and each minion he is skirmishing is discarded.
Assignment: Discard an artifact or possession from hand to assign a minion to skirmish Mace Windu.

(Both Knight and Leader are unloaded keywords.)

In case you haven’t seen those yet, I’ll just post one new card at the moment:

1 Defensive Parry Gandalf
Event ∙ Response
Force-skill. If a knight bearing a lightsaber is about to be exerted (or take a wound) during a skirmish, prevent that wound.
"’Anyone can use a blaster or a fusioncutter—but to use a lightsaber well was a mark of someone cut above the ordinary.’"

(Force-skill is also unloaded.)

Defensive Parry is a very simple utility card. Nothing glamorous, but gets the job done. There will be a pretty amount of such cards in the Jedi culture. They, like the Gandalf culture, can do pretty much anything.
Last edited by menace64 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:16 am; edited 1 time in totalRiddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:21 pm
Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 423 Location: Living with the Governator
menace64 wrote:
After successfully introducing twelve cultures in the other thread, I feel confident enough to begin work on a specific culture: Jedi (Gandalf). I will be designing cards for this culture for a little while, and I’ll let y’all choose the next culture to get this treatment (which, to spread things out, will be a Dark Side culture).

So, vote if you’d like. Here are the three Gandalf cards written-up already:

3 ∙Obi-Wan Kenobi, Old Ben Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-5
Vitality-3
Resistance-8
Knight. While bearing a lightsaber, Obi-Wan Kenobi is strength +3.
Alliance: If the alliance is at a sanctuary site, play a companion; his or her twilight cost is -1.
Second ability is too powerful, maybe limit to Gandalf culture or something.

2 ∙Obi-Wan’s Lightsaber Gandalf
Artifact ∙ Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Lightsaber. Bearer must be Obi-Wan Kenobi (or a destined companion with resistance 7 or more).
During a fierce skirmish, bearer is damage +1.

Groovy

5 ∙Mace Windu, Warrior-general Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-10
Vitality-3
Resistance-7
Knight. Leader. To play, spot 2 Gandalf knights.
Each time Mace Windu wins a skirmish, you may return an opponent’s condition to his or her hand and each minion he is skirmishing is discarded.
Assignment: Discard an artifact or possession from hand to assign a minion to skirmish Mace Windu.
Extremely powerful, maybe cost of 6 would be better.

(Both Knight and Leader are unloaded keywords.)

In case you haven’t seen those yet, I’ll just post one new card at the moment:

0 Defensive Parry Gandalf
Event ∙ Response
Force-skill. If a knight bearing a lightsaber is about to be exerted (or take a wound) during a skirmish, prevent that wound.
"’Anyone can use a blaster or a fusioncutter—but to use a lightsaber well was a mark of someone cut above the ordinary.’"

Needs to cost at least 1 if not 2.

(Force-skill is also unloaded.)

Defensive Parry is a very simple utility card. Nothing glamorous, but gets the job done. There will be a pretty amount of such cards in the Jedi culture. They, like the Gandalf culture, can do pretty much anything.

I’m liking these! Razz Keep ’em up!
'On and on old war shall go,
Without respite my blood will flow
O’er your eyes ‘til they cannot see
The impossibility of victory.'

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants
menace64
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:12 am
Thanks Lurtzy for the review. I’m not sure if Old Ben is too powerful... I mean, if you’re looking to abuse him, you’d have to hold companions in your hand until site 3 or 6, and even then you’re only getting a discount of 1 per dude. And at a base 5 strength, 3 cost, I think he’s all right (awaiting second opinion).

I’m also hesitant to make Mace cost 6. Perhaps some other cost should be put into place instead (because I do agree that he’s pretty darned powerful). Maybe making you spot 3 Gandalf knights instead of 2?

I will up Defensive Parry to 1.

On that note:

1 Jedi Lightsaber Gandalf
Possession ∙ Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Lightsaber. Bearer must be a knight.
"’...not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.’’’

2 Melted Barrier Gandalf
Event ∙ Maneuver
Exert your knight bearing a lightsaber to reveal a card at random from an opponent’s hand. Exert each minion of the same culture as the revealed card.
"’They are still coming through!’"

Two simple cards. I don’t think I need to attach any notes to either.

Oh, and because I’m in the mood:

4 ∙Qui-Gon Jinn, Mindful of the Force Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-9
Vitality-3
Resistance-7
Knight. To play, discard a Gandalf card from hand.
Each time you discard a Gandalf card from hand, you may reveal the top card of your deck. If you can spot a character of the revealed card’s culture, you may exert Qui-Gon Jinn to draw 3 cards.
"’Finding him was the will of the Force. I have no doubt of that.’"

Well, there’s something interesting. I tried writing up something that represented how present-centered Qui-Gon is. He doesn’t care about the past (discard pile), and his concentration on the future (draw deck) extends only to what is about to transpire. The present (your hand) triggers his response, and if "the Force guides you", you can be rewarded with some extra cards.

For 4 and discarding a card (without Qui-Gonn’s text triggering, mind you), I think he’s pretty cool, and such a companion gets me thinking about a whole lot more things the Gandalf culture can do!
Last edited by menace64 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in totalRiddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:24 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:

Possession ∙ Hand Weapon
Strength +2
"’...not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.’’’
fine

2 Melted Barrier Gandalf
Event ∙ Maneuver
Exert your knight bearing a lightsaber to reveal a card at random from an opponent’s hand. Exert each minion of the same culture as the revealed card.
maybe or discard a condition of the same culture?

Companion ∙ Human
Strength-9
Vitality-3
Resistance-8
Each time you discard a Gandalf card from hand, you may reveal the top card of your deck. If you can spot a companion (or minion) of the revealed card’s culture, you may exert Qui-Gon Jinn to draw 3 cards.

uh...I guess...maybe drop resistance by 1.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:10 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I’ll just do the ones I haven’t reviewed elsewhere.

menace64 wrote:
1 Defensive Parry Gandalf
Event ∙ Response

Like you said...nice, simple utility card. No complaints.

Possession ∙ Hand Weapon
Strength +2
"’...not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.’’’[/quote]
Awesome lore for a nice, staple card. Bravo for resistance the urge to make this any more powerful.

menace64 wrote:
2 Melted Barrier Gandalf
Event ∙ Maneuver

Good, though a tad risky.

menace64 wrote:
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-9
Vitality-3
Resistance-8
Each time you discard a Gandalf card from hand, you may reveal the top card of your deck. If you can spot a companion (or minion) of the revealed card’s culture, you may exert Qui-Gon Jinn to draw 3 cards.

I agree about dropping his resistance, especially in light of his somewhat checkered past. I think you could simplify the "companion (or minion)" bit by simply saying "character", but other then that, looks good.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
menace64
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:08 pm
Haha, Dain... that’s one of those little things I should have noticed. I’ll change Quiggy to ’character’ and I will drop his resistance to 7. Good call, guys.

I just watched AotC... so yeah. That’s where my mind is.

3 ∙This Party’s Over Gandalf
Condition ∙ Support Area
To play, spot 3 knights.
Until the start of the regroup phase, each minion assigned to skirmish a knight is discarded at the end of that skirmish.
"’Sorry to disappoint you, Dooku.’"

The ultimate showdown... of ultimate destiny.
What I like about this card is that it’s got a strong sense of "we’ve got one chance to do this right". You’ve got one round of skirmishes/fierce skirmishes to dispatch minions, unless you work out a way to discard the condition yourself and play another one later.

2 Jedi Business Gandalf
Condition
Bearer must be a knight. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time you play a force-skill during a skirmish involving bearer, you may remove 1.
"’Go back to your drinks.’"

Represents how freely the Jedi seem to interact with the general populace. They appear to operate above the law, as the law. So it makes since that, when they throw down, potential opponents don’t really get much of a chance to react.
The condition itself is fairly expensive, but each copy of it can net you quite a bit of twilight savings, especially if you keep your force-skills nice and cheap.

0 Jedi Archives Gandalf
Event ∙ Alliance
Exert a knight to reveal the top 4 cards of your draw deck. You may take up to 1 card of each revealed culture into hand. Add 1 for each card taken into hand this way.
"’The archives are comprehensive and totally secure, my young Jedi. One thing you may be absolutely sure of: if an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist.’"

Kind of a throwback to Questions That Need Answering. Jedi Archives rewards you for running ’multiple searches’ (ie: having a lot of cultures), and its payment matches only what you choose to extract from it.
Riddle 9

Who am I?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:29 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:

3 ∙This Party’s Over Gandalf
Condition ∙ Support Area
To play, spot 3 knights.
Until the start of the regroup phase, each minion assigned to skirmish a knight is discarded at the end of that skirmish.
"’Sorry to disappoint you, Dooku.’"

if the fellowship is in region 1 or 2 IMSO

2 Jedi Business Gandalf
Condition
Bearer must be a knight. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time you play a force-skill during a skirmish involving bearer, you may remove 1.
"’Go back to your drinks.’"
fine

0 Jedi Archives Gandalf
Event ∙ Alliance
Exert a knight to reveal the top 4 cards of your draw deck. You may take up to 1 card of each revealed culture into hand. Add 1 for each card taken into hand this way.
"’The archives are comprehensive and totally secure, my young Jedi. One thing you may be absolutely sure of: if an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist.’"

fine
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
menace64
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:03 am
Hmm, interesting point, SoP. I’ll put some thought into that. By the way, what does IMSO stand for? In My...Silly...Opinion?

And now to overwhelm you guys: A Gandalf card for every card type! Mr. Green

0 ∙Circlet of Saresh Gandalf
Artifact ∙ Helm
Bearer must be a knight.
Once per skirmish involving bearer, you may play a force-skill from your discard pile, then remove it from the game.
Regroup: Exert bearer to heal an exhausted companion.
Worn by the Jedi Guun Han Saresh until his demise at the hands of the terentatek, the Circlet focused Jedi prowess and expanded its owner’s ability to control the Force.

This is an item you can get in KotORII (I believe) that enhances your Force powers. Pretty basic, really.

2 Force Warrior Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-6
Vitality-3
Resistance-7
Knight. To play, exert a knight.
This companion may not bear weapons, and at the start of each of this companion’s skirmishes, you may discard X cards from hand to make her strength +X.
Skirmish: Discard a force-skill from hand to make a minion skirmishing this companion strength -2.
Force warriors fought unarmed, channeling the Force through their bodies to unleash a flurry of precise strikes and blows.

One. Mean. Dudette. This chick ain’t to be messed with... even with her several costs, I think she’s a "force" in any skirmish.

1 Sense Gandalf
Condition ∙ Support Area
Force-skill. When you play this condition, stack a Gandalf card from hand here. Each time a card with the same title as a card stacked here is about to be discarded (except from hand), you may stack that card here instead.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may exert a knight to reveal the top card of an opponent’s draw deck for each card stacked here.
"’...in these matters, trust your insight we do.’"

I didn’t know what I was writing here until it was done. Pretty sweet, really. It won’t help much immediately, but as you get more attuned to the Force, you’ll be able to glean more information at a faster rate. A few fully-loaded Senses in play could let you know exactly what you’re in for if you choose to move again. But conditions have a tendency to go bye-bye.

2 Lightsaber Sweep Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
Toil 1. Make a knight bearing a lightsaber strength +3 and damage +1.
"’You did well, Anakin. He was too dangerous to be kept alive.’"

More powerful skirmish event, but requiring a lightsaber on a knight.

2 ∙Temple Youngling Gandalf
Follower
Strength +1
Resistance +1
Aid - add a burden. To play, spot a knight.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may take a Gandalf condition from your discard pile into hand.
"’An interesting puzzle. Gather around the map reader, younglings. Master Obi-Wan has lost a planet.’"

Not much to this follower. Nothing too fancy. Gotta love the lore, though!

1 Knight’s Robes Gandalf
Possession ∙ Cloak
Resistance +1
Bearer must be a knight.
While you have initiative, cancel the game text of each minion with a twilight cost of 1 that is skirmishing bearer.
"There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. / There is no passion; there is serenity."

Okay, so that ability won’t be all-too useful in most situations. But you never know. And, after all.... they’re just robes! Wink

With those cards written up, I will begin focusing some of the themes I’ve started to transform the Jedi culture from a rabble of unrelated cards into a cohesive, destructive force-storm of death! Laughing
Last edited by menace64 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in totalRiddle 9

Who am I?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:14 pm
menace64 wrote:
Hmm, interesting point, SoP. I’ll put some thought into that. By the way, what does IMSO stand for? In My...Silly...Opinion?
in my spammers opinion

Artifact ∙ Helm
Bearer must be a knight.
Once per skirmish involving bearer, you may play a force-skill from your discard pile, then place it out of play.
Worn by the Jedi Guun Han Saresh until his demise at the hands of the terentatek, the Circlet focused Jedi prowess and expanded its owner’s ability to control the Force.
shouldn’t it be remove it from the game...fine

3 Force Warrior Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-7
Vitality-3
Resistance-7
This companion may not bear weapons, and at the start of each of this companion’s skirmishes, you may discard X cards from hand to make her strength +X.
Skirmish: Discard a force-skill from hand to make a minion skirmishing this companion strength -2.
Force warriors fought unarmed, channeling the Force through their bodies to unleash a flurry of precise strikes and blows.
works for me.

1 Sense Gandalf
Condition ∙ Support Area
Force-skill. When you play this condition, stack a Gandalf card from hand here. Each time you play a card with a matching title as a card stacked here, stack that card here before it is discarded.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may exert a knight to reveal the top card of an opponent’s draw deck for each card stacked here.
fine I guess

Event ∙ Skirmish
Make a knight bearing a lightsaber strength +3 and damage +1.
cut cost to 1...

Follower
Strength +1
Resistance +1
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you may take a Gandalf condition from your discard pile into hand.
"’An interesting puzzle. Gather around the map reader, younglings. Master Obi-Wan has lost a planet.’"
fine

1 Knight’s Robes Gandalf
Possession ∙ Cloak
Resistance +1
Bearer must be a knight.
While you have initiative, cancel the game text of each minion with a twilight cost of 1 that is skirmishing bearer.
"There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. / There is no passion; there is serenity."

fine I guess lore doesn’t make much sense with card
"DáinIronfoot"
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:31 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
menace64 wrote:
Artifact ∙ Helm
Bearer must be a knight.
Once per skirmish involving bearer, you may play a force-skill from your discard pile, then place it out of play.

Agree with SoP’s wording.

menace64 wrote:
This is an item you can get in KotORII (I believe) that enhances your Force powers. Pretty basic, really.

You know, if I can ever find the time, I’d LOVE to do some cards for you from Dark Forces and Jedi Knight.

menace64 wrote:
3 Force Warrior Gandalf
Companion ∙ Human
Strength-7
Vitality-3
Resistance-7

Since you refer to the companion as "her" later, better to replace "this companion" with "her" as well. Awfully powerful for a non-unique companion...I’d be much more comfortable with 2/6/3/7.

menace64 wrote:
1 Sense Gandalf
Condition ∙ Support Area
Force-skill. When you play this condition, stack a Gandalf card from hand here. Each time you play a card with a matching title as a card stacked here, stack that card here before it is discarded.

To save on wording, I think "Each time a card with the same title as a card stacked here is about to be discarded (except from hand), you may stack that card here instead." Actually, I guess that doesn’t save on wording. Razz But it IS clearer.

menace64 wrote:
Event ∙ Skirmish
Make a knight bearing a lightsaber strength +3 and damage +1.

And requires 2 as well. Fine by me, though consider slapping a toil 1 on it (assuming you plan on using toil).

menace64 wrote:
Follower
Strength +1
Resistance +1

A little lacking in cultural enforcement, but balanced enough thanks to being unique and only pulling Gandalf conditions.

menace64 wrote:
1 Knight’s Robes Gandalf
Possession ∙ Cloak
Resistance +1
Bearer must be a knight.

Good enough for me. Might even be okay at 0.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards