LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:47 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
You all asked for it, so here we go: the Elven culture from my set Ages of Middle-earth.

As I’ve mentioned before, this set focuses on the game The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, but also acts as a Reflections-style set with cards from other lesser-known events of Middle-earth’s Third Age, as well as a revisit to the Second Age (not explored since my first DC set, Lasting Alliances) and maybe even the First Age. Whistle

And as I’ve ALSO already mentioned, you all chose Elven to be the first culture I focus on. More specifically, you wanted Elven spells. So, here is our final version of the Elven culture’s best spellcaster, and a couple spells to go with her. Smile Enjoy!

First, here are the two versions of Idrial we’ve already seen:

3Idrial, Servant of Galadriel Elven
Companion • Elf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 4
Signet: Elrond
To play, spot an Elf.
While you can spot Galadriel, Idrial’s twilight cost is -2.
Each time the fellowship moves to a river, dwelling, or sanctuary, you may heal a companion.
“‘You are indeed high in the favour of the Lady!’”

This version hails from my Fellowship of the Ring set, The Road Ahead. It has nothing to do with spells, but is the only one that can come as cheaply as 2 and has the easiest healing of any version, which was Idrial’s forte in the game.

3Idrial, Maiden of Lothlórien Elven
Companion • Elf
At the end of each fellowship phase, you may exert Idrial to take an Elven spell into hand from your draw deck.
Maneuver or Regroup: Exert Idrial to heal another companion. Then, unless that companion has the Elrond or Berethor signet, add 1.
“‘I am Idrial. I serve Galadriel, Lady of the Light.’”

This is the other version from THIS set, and mixes a little healing with a little spellcasting, letting you pull your spells out when you need them the most.

And now, the new version:

3Idrial, She-Elf Elven
Companion • Elf
Signet: Berethor
While skirmishing a Nazgûl, Wraith, or Balrog, Idrial is strength +2.
Each time you play an Elven spell, you may exert Idrial to remove a burden or a threat.
“‘Return to the shadow, slave of Sauron.’”

Idrial isn’t just a healer, of course. She can also kick some serious butt! She is especially effective against enemies that seem surrounded by Shadow; in The Third Age, Idrial’s spells are some of the best in the party against Nazgûl, and she’s really the only one that can do any kind of damage to The Balrog (except temporary party member Gandalf, of course). That’s why she gets the conditional strength bonus.

The other bit of text, of course, is what makes this version your best spellcaster. Burdens and threats removed whenver you play a spell? Yes, please! Very Happy

Speaking of which, here are a couple of Idrial’s TTA spells in card form.

0 Loudwater Fury Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Spot a unique Elf and discard a card from hand to wound a minion skirmishing that Elf. If the fellowship is at a sanctuary or river site, exert that minion again.
The Elves have a unique connection to Middle-Earth, able to summon spirits of water for aid.

This is one of the few (offensive) starting skills/spells that ny character has that remains useful throughout the entire game, getting more and more powerful as Idrial does and continuing to do great damage to certain enemies, like Nazgûl, from start to finish.

1 Gift of Galadriel Elven
Event • Skirmish or Regroup
Spell.
Spot a unique Elf and discard an Elven card from hand (or discard a non-Elven card from hand and exert an Elf) to heal a companion twice.
There are few greater comforts to the wounded and weary than the compassion and power of the Elves.

Nice, simple healing. And it’s outside of the fellowship phase!

0 Haste of the Elves Elven
Event • Response
Spell.
If the assignment phase is about to end, exert an Elf to make a minion lose lurker or fierce (and be unable to gain that keyword) until the end of the turn.
Elves have long preferred stealth and speed over sheer power in battle.

In TTA, this spell lets Idrial choose who gets to act next in battle. Since the game is turn-based, much like the famous Final Fantasy series, this can be HUGE, allowing you to, say, let your biggest bruiser have a crack at the enemy before they can do anything else to you, or passing the turn off to someone who can increase the defense of your party before the next enemy attack. I hope this card captures that somewhat.

Some more powerful spells still to come! Very Happy
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm; edited 19 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:07 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf. If that Elf is Galadriel, Idrial’s twilight cost is -1.
Each time the fellowship moves to a river, dwelling, or sanctuary, you may heal a companion.

I think I’d stick with the longer and more conventional wording ’While you can spot Galadriel...’ Also, Galadriel costs 3 so you couldn’t use these 2 in your starting fellowship, unless you have something up your sleeve (excluding BoW). Other than that, seems fine.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Elf
At the end of each fellowship phase, you may exert Idrial to take an Elven spell into hand from your draw deck.
Maneuver or Regroup: Exert Idrial to heal another companion (and add 1 unless that companion has the Elrond or Berethor signet).

Depending on whether you can choose to forgo an effect after fulfilling a cost (I can’t remember the ruling on that one), you should move the adding twilight so that it’s part of the cost and not the effect. In fact, I’d suggest you do that anyway just to be clearer and so there’s no rules issues.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
3Idrial, She-Elf Elven
Companion • Elf
Each time you play an Elven spell, you may exert Idrial to remove a burden or a threat.

Bit of a crap subtitle, but fine. Could you not combine those three by choosing a common keyword like fierce or enduring? Just seems a little more streamlined and useful that way.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 Loudwater Fury Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Spot a unique Elf and discard a card from hand to exert a minion skirmishing that Elf. If the fellowship is at a sanctuary or river site, exert that minion again.
The Elves have a unique connection to Middle-Earth, able to summon spirits of water for aid.

I remember this one! I think perhaps that one of the two abilities should be wounding - discarding a card from hand in the skirmish phase is quite hard and it doesn’t seem too good at the moment. Could you not do something with these spells so that they get harder as Idrial gets harder like in the game? Perhaps something about regions would be the easiest way of doing that.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Spell.
Skirmish or Regroup: Spot a unique Elf and discard an Elven card from hand (or discard a non-Elven card from hand and exert an Elf) to heal a companion.
There are few greater comforts to the wounded and weary than the compassion and power of the Elves.

Missing some crucial bolds in there. A spell condition? Not sure it really fits - I’d prefer something with more power as an event.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Haste of the Elves Elven
Event • Response
Spell.
If the assignment phase is about to end, exert an Elf to choose one: make a minion lose lurker or fierce until the end of the turn; or choose another companion whose skirmish must be resolved before any others.

Looks like it could cost 0 easily.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm
Tweaked every card (I think). How’re they now?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:33 pm
Not true, you left She-Elf!

All look fine to me. Thumbs Up

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:45 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Not true, you left She-Elf!

If you mean the subtitle, that’s because she’s specifically called that (more than once) in the game. I may do something different, though.... Think

If you mean the text, that’s because I’d like another review or two before I change it. The Nazzie/Wraith/Balrog thing is a bit of a theme, in that there are a couple other characters with very similiar text. And with The Balrog making a grand return in this set, along with lots of Nazzies (including more non-unique ones), that text may trigger more than you’d think.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:42 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

3Idrial, She-Elf Elven
Companion • Elf
works

Speaking of which, here are a couple of Idrial’s TTA spells in card form.

0 Loudwater Fury Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Spot a unique Elf and discard a card from hand to wound a minion skirmishing that Elf. If the fellowship is at a sanctuary or river site, exert that minion again.
should be an elven card or something. right now the only real cost is...cycling your hand Smile

Spell.
Spot a unique Elf and discard an Elven card from hand (or discard a non-Elven card from hand and exert an Elf) to heal a companion twice.
much better

Event • Response
Spell.
If the assignment phase is about to end, exert an Elf to choose one: make a minion lose lurker or fierce until the end of the turn; or choose another companion whose skirmish must be resolved before any others.

you could change its text to my Tuilin card from Realms of the north, it would fit well...or maybe it wouldn’t I can’t really remember what the card said, except it had to do with speed
Confused
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:28 pm
Quote:
3Idrial, She-Elf Elven
Companion • Elf

Giving elves burden removal is a bit of a no-no, but it is sorta conditional. The specific strength bonuses aren’t my favorite thing either, but they DO make sense... and the second ability does make her useful enough, especially if some spells rely on burdens/threats to do their work.

Quote:
0 Loudwater Fury Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.

Seems all right. "Exert again" sounds weird though, since you’re starting by wounding the minion.

Quote:
Spell.

Nice event. Seriously sweet. We gonna see some hand extention/recursion in your sets?

Quote:
Event • Response
Spell.

Neat!
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:12 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Elf
To play, spot an Elf.
While you can spot Galadriel, Idrial’s twilight cost is -2.

Like how you can start galadriel and her. Very cool card.

Companion • Elf
Maneuver or Regroup: Exert Idrial to heal another companion. Then, unless that companion has the Elrond or Berethor signet, add 1.

Awkward phrasing but i see no alternative. She’s ok.

3Idrial, She-Elf Elven
Companion • Elf

She is ok too, but id rather see some sort of other effect besides burden/threat removal.

0 Loudwater Fury Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell.

Sound but odd choice to wound then exert. Seems wrong way round.

Spell.

Id up the cost to 2 probably.

Event • Response
Spell.

I dont understand what the second part does, i mean you shouldnt be allowed to overight lurker but the 1st part can remove it anyway. Im confused!

Some more powerful spells still to come! Very Happy
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:11 am
I see your point about Haste of the Elves, lem0n. I went ahead and just dropped the last part. I don’t think it changes the card at all.

Here are a few more...interesting spells. Mr. Green Enjoy!

1 Cleansing Waters Elven
Event • Assignment or Regroup
Spell. Toil 1.
Exert a unique Elf and spot another character to discard all Shadow cards borne by that character. Then you may add 1 and discard an Elven card from hand to take this event back into hand.
The dark powers of the Shadow cannot stand long against the light of the Valar.

Not a terribly useful skill for most of TTA, but then you start fighting big enemies that cast all kinds of nasty, lingering effects on your characters, and suddenly this skill is the difference between victory and defeat, since it’s often the only method you have for removing those nasty effects. It doesn’t translate especially well to most LOTR TCG games, but it’s not a bad idea to toss one or two in for those decks (like Nazzies and Sauron Orcs) that like loading your companions with Shadow conditions.

3 Aura of the Valar Elven
Condition • Support Area
Spell. Toil 1.
Skirmish: Add 1 and exert a unique Elf to play a companion stacked here as if played from hand. Then choose one: discard this condition; or discard a card from hand and add a threat.
Response: If your companion is about to be killed and there are no cards stacked here, exert a unique Elf and discard an Elven card from hand to stack that companion here instead.
“‘What grace has been given to me, let it pass to him. Let him be spared.’”

Idrial’s special, very unique skill. More than any other, this skill (once acquired) is what ensures you will bring her out in almost every battle in TTA. Cast this on one of your characters, and when they die, they come back to life. Might seem too easy, but trust me...without this, there are many battles in the later game that you’d NEVER be able to walk away from.

I really, really wanted to make a card version of this, yet one that was relatively balanced. How’d I do? Bloody awful, I expect. Razz

2 Water Stallion Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell. Toil 2.
Spot a unique Elf, discard an Elven card from hand, and add [X] to wound X minions (twice if the fellowship is at a river) assigned to skirmish unbound companions.
“‘Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulair! Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulair!’”

If you work on her for a little while, Idrial will acquire this, her final skill. Personally, I found that I didn’t use it much, but I was impressed by its effects when the time called for it. It’s bascially Loudwater Fury against all enemies. Since it’s so close to the water stallions that bumrushed the Nazgul outside Rivendell, I figured I’d take some lore from there, too. Smile

And just for kicks, here are a couple of Idrial’s pendants that help enhance her spellcasting...or spell resistance. Smile

2Warding Pendant of the Galadhrim Elven
Artifact • Pendant
Resistance +1
Bearer must be a unique Elf.
At the start of each turn, you may exert bearer to remove a threat.
Response: If a spell is played, you may add a threat or a burden to return that spell to its owner’s hand.
A pendant imbued with ancient Elves power and wisdom, given to the kin of ancient woodland Elves.

1Calling Pendant of Lothlórien Elven
Artifact • Pendant
Each time you exert bearer to play an Elven spell, you may heal bearer (limit once per phase).
Crafted by mastersmiths of Lothlórien, this special token is charged with the power of long-forgotten water spirits.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:33 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

1 Cleansing Waters Elven
Event • Assignment or Regroup
Spell.
Exert a unique Elf and spot another character to discard all Shadow cards borne by that character. Then you may add 1 and discard an Elven card from hand to take this card back into hand.
The dark powers of the Shadow cannot stand long against the light of the Valar.

I think thats awesome.

3 Aura of the Valar Elven
Condition • Support Area
Spell. Toil 1.
Skirmish: Add 1 and exert a unique Elf to play a companion stacked here as if played from hand. Then choose one: discard this condition; or discard a card from hand and add a threat.
Response: If your companion is about to be killed and there are no cards stacked here, exert a unique Elf and discard an Elven card from hand to stack that companion here instead.
“‘What grace has been given to me, let it pass to him. Let him be spared.’”

This is the coolest spell in the game as far as im concerned. Its the only darn way you can beat the Rog thats for sure!

I did a card just like this for EL’s contest:

2 • All Souls Pass Elven
Condition • Support Area
The Free Peoples player may not discard this condition.
Any card with the same title as any card stacked here may not be played.
Response: If there are no more than 2 cards stacked here and an Elf is about to be killed, stack that Elf here.
"And all will turn / To silver glass / A light on the water / Grey ships pass / Into the West."

I think if you tweak it so its similar in the way you cant replay people from hand or anything then its an awesome reflection of the spell and very useful.

3 Water Stallion Elven
Event • Skirmish
Spell. Toil 1.
Spot a unique Elf and add [X] to wound X minions (twice if the fellowship is at a river) skirmishing unbound companions.
“‘Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulair! Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulair!’”

Toil 1 freeps events are unlikely to be used an exertion isnt really worth 1 cost less. Toil 2 is the only toil id ever consider using. Well you can only be skirmishing once at a time so this would only wound 1 minion. I know what youre trying to do presumably you mean assigned to skirmishes, but then i think its OP.

If you work on her for a little while, Galadriel will acquire this, her final skill. Personally, I found that I didn’t use it much, but I was impressed by its effects when the time called for it. It’s bascially Loudwater Fury against all enemies. Since it’s so close to the water stallions that bumrushed the Nazgul outside Rivendell, I figured I’d take some lore from there, too. Smile

You mean Idrial not Galadriel.... Razz LOL "bumrushed" classic word usage DI. I though this was a great spell but had to wait too long for it.

2Galadhrim Spirit Warding Pendant Elven
Artifact • Pendant
Resistance +1
At the start of each turn, you may exert bearer to remove a threat.
Response: If a spell is played, you may add a threat or a burden to return that spell to its owner’s hand.
A pendant imbued with ancient Elves power and wisdom, given to the kin of ancient woodland Elves.

Bit powerful recusrion DI. A threat is never the same as a burden, should be 2 threats.

1Lothlórien Spirit Calling Pendant Elven
Artifact • Pendant
Each time you exert bearer to play an Elven spell, you may heal bearer (limit once per phase).
Crafted by mastersmiths of Lothlórien, this special token is charged with the power of long-forgotten water spirits.

Sweeeeet.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards