LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
Pipsqueak
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:45 am
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 Posts: 331 Location: A northerner down south
So, i’m just starting to get into Magic, and i’m gonna be askin a lot of questions.
First: What does it mean to "remove a card from play"?
Second: Do all lands have the text "When you play this card, you may pay x life. If you don’t This card comes into play tapped instead."?
Third: What exactly are artifacts?
Long live the southern bros. Homage
syndrome
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:03 am
Pipsqueak wrote:
First: What does it mean to "remove a card from play"?
When a card is removed from play, you place it off to the side of the game, away from all your permanents, library and graveyard... and it can no longer be targetted by cards unless the card specifies that it CAN target out of play cards. (there’s a good example of this... but I forget the card xD)
Pipsqueak wrote:
Second: Do all lands have the text "When you play this card, you may pay x life. If you don’t This card comes into play tapped instead."?
No.
http://myspace/delicatesituation
Cobra
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:27 am
Pipsqueak wrote:
What does it mean to "remove a card from play"?

Generally speaking, it’s just what it says -- that card is no longer part of the game. As Phazanzar said, there are some specific exceptions where out-of-play cards can be targeted, or can affect the game... the new "haunt" mechanic comes to mind.

Pipsqueak wrote:
Do all lands have the text "When you play this card, you may pay x life. If you don’t This card comes into play tapped instead."?

Nope. Any land that is a Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, or Forest has the ability to be tapped for one mana of the appropriate color. (For example, all Forests are assumed to have this ability: "[tap]: Add Green to your mana pool.") Apart from that rule, lands do exactly what their game text says.

Pipsqueak wrote:

Basically it’s just a keyword -- artifact cards will identify themselves as artifacts, and other cards might target artifacts. The "artifact" keyword is found on cards that have only colorless mana costs (that is, a number but no color symbol), and on a few lands as well.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Pipsqueak
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:48 pm
Ok, thanx guys. One more: I have tried to figure it out forever, but i really don’t understand how the stack works. I mean, all players put their cards on it. How does that work? and in what order are they resolved?
Cobra
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:35 pm
The "stack" is really just a symbolic way of figuring out which cards/actions take effect first. The general rule is "first in, last out" -- like a physical structure, you build the stack from the bottom up, and take it apart from the top down.

Example:
You play Faith’s Fetters on my Hammerfist Giant. (Put Faith’s Fetters on the stack.)
I respond by using the Giant’s ability, tapping him to deal four damage to each creature without flying and each player. (Put the Giant’s ability on the stack.)

If neither of us takes any further action, then we start resolving the actions on the stack in the reverse order:

Hammerfist Giant deals its damage, killing itself in the process.
Faith’s Fetters now has no legal target, so it goes straight to the graveyard without ever having entered play. (Is the term "fizzle" still used? Laughing)

Make sense?
Pipsqueak
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:38 pm
Yeah. But somewhat... unfair, cheap, slightly stupid, etc.

So, does anyone have an outline of the phases that they could post for me?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:41 pm
Pipsqueak wrote:
Yeah. But somewhat... unfair, cheap, slightly stupid, etc.

I would tend to agree with that, except thats how you can counter a spell. If you didn’t have last in, first out, the spell would resolve and the counter would never happen.

Here’s a huge list of terms to know.

Terms-

Aura
Trample
Flying
First Strike
Double Strike
Morph
Guild
Fear
Vigilance
Transmute
Convoke
Replicate
haunt
Dredge
Radience
Protection from ______ (color)
Instant
Sorcery
Artifact
Equipment

And a few general concepts-

Paying costs is the fastest thing possible (faster than the stack)
Sacrificing etc.
Agro Deck
Control Deck

I could define all of this stuff, but honestly you should go straight to the source at magicthegathering.com and find the comprehensive rules. I’m happy to clarify anything you don’t understand, but the rules are more thorough than a personal definition.
Pipsqueak
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:36 pm
Well, thanx, but how am i supposed to know what the heck all of those things mean, lol.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:14 pm
Thats what the bottom thing said... I’ll give you a start on it.

Trample- While attacking, even if this creature is blocked, it must assign lethal damage to all blockers and distribute the rest among blockers or to the player as desired.

Aura- a type of enchantment

Flying- Creatures with flying can only be blocked by other creatures with flying (unless the card says something like this can block as though it had flying like many archers do). Flying can block other flyers or ground, but ground can only block other ground.

First Strike- Damage is deal before other damage would be. Example- I have a 2/2 first strike and you have a 2/2. Mine does 2 to yours before yours has a chance to deal two to mine. Yours dies and mine lives because my damage went first. At all other times, damage is dealt at once.

Double Strike- This creature deals first strike damage equal to it’s power and then regular damage equal to it’s power. So a 5/5 double strike deals ten damage, half before other creatures, half at the same time.

Seriously, though, you should try going to magicthegathering.com and finding the comprehensive rules. I use them still as a referance to support my assertations.
Cobra
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:34 pm
IMO, the best way to learn a new game is from a friend -- someone who’s physically sitting in front of you and can show you how things work. This is really the best way to learn the basics (phases of a turn, how creature combat works, and so on).

If you don’t know any Magic: The Gathering players personally, visit a card shop some evening -- most likely there will be some MTG players who you can watch. Or if the place is empty, the clerk will be bored and might teach you himself. Wink

After you’ve played a few practice games with simple decks, then you can do the research that Grail suggests and get a lot more out of it.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions