LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:42 pm
Yeah, I suppose that’s all true. While you’re learning, you may want to jot down a couple questions you have and post them here or look them up or something. I know when I was learning I had issues with declaring attack step and all those little nit-picky details, but now I’m pretty sure I know enough to answer any questions you have. Between me and Osion, I’d say we know more than any non-pro tour, non-judge you’ll come across.
Pipsqueak
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:48 pm
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 Posts: 331 Location: A northerner down south
How do the "tokens" work?
Long live the southern bros. Homage
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:07 pm
A token is a creature without a name. Typically, they are 1/1 tokens, and their only attributes are what is stated. For example if a card says put a 1/1 saproling token into play, it means a 1/1 creature with the type saproling. If it says the token is green, it’s green, if not, it’s not. The only information you have about the token is what’s given to you on the card that created them.

Tokens stay in play like normal creatures. however, if they are killed or returned to their owner’s hand, as soon as it touches that new zone, it’s removed from the game.
Pipsqueak
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:56 pm
Next question: Is there a limit on the amount of life you can have?
syndrome
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:10 pm
Pipsqueak wrote:
Next question: Is there a limit on the amount of life you can have?
I just learned the answer to this recently, and it is no.

Stupid if you ask me.
http://myspace/delicatesituation
Cobra
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:47 am
Yeah, but life gain isn’t generally that effective anyway. Cool In my (admittedly limited) experience the game is mostly about board control, and life gain doesn’t contribute toward that goal at all.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:15 pm
Out of curiousity, why do you think it’s stupid? If you can have infinate burn combos, there should be infinate life combos as well. It’s only fair.

Lifegain is very good in a few specific situations. Only true agro and burn leave life gain with any use.

As for controlling the board being the overall goal, thats a control deck. The other end is agro, where you try to aggressively knock your opponent down before they can establish control.

At this point in standard, the format seems to be changing from mostly control to a more even mix maybe even favoring agro due to rumbling slum, burning-tree shaman, umezawa’s jitte, watchwolf, kird ape and Isamaru, Hound of Konda. The only big weapons control has are Wrath of God, Wildfire, pyroclasm, and a few combos like lava splice and owling mine.
Pipsqueak
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:10 pm
Next question: Can there be a tie?
Cobra
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:27 pm
Ooh, that’s a good one... Grail? Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:17 pm
yes, there can be a tie, unfortunately.

This happens many times with things like Char, which can kill you and the opponent at the same time.

The way you break (or don’t break) the tie depends on the tournament. Sometimes (in Swiss-tournament structure) they will count the game as a tie. Other times they’ll discount the game and have you keep playing. In a single elimination matchup, I think they’ll discount the game, but I’m not completely sure.

Also remember that you’re talking about a game loss in most tournaments, matches are three games, so one side could win twice still. Remember that 1-0-1 doesn’t give you a match win, it’s still a tie. It’s race to two wins with max three games, not just best of three.

Note that infinate life vs. infinate burn the burn wins, by the way, there cannot be a tie of that nature. Both players need to actually die at the same time, due to decking or damage.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions