LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 pm
I wanted a fresh start for some rather fresh and somewhat crazy ideas! Razz

We’ll start of with something pretty straight forward, which is a version of the One Ring, though I’m not sure if I’m going to make anyone in this set who can bear it! This is simply because through most of the Second Age it was borne by Sauron (and for the rest of it, it wasn’t yet made) except for the very end when Isildur took it. Might make an Isildur, though at this stage I really can’t say.

So I wanted to first emphasise rings, and secondly make a dangerous and powerful version to represent the height of the ring’s power.

• The One Ring, Master Ring Ring
Str: +2
Vit: +1
Legendary.
Bearer may not bear a ring.
While wearing The One Ring, the Ring-bearer gains terror 1 (each time he or she is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s minion, you may make that opponent exert one of their minions) and each time he or she is about to take a wound, add 2 burdens instead.
Maneuver: Add a threat to wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.
Skirmish: Exert the Ring-bearer twice to discard a ring from play or to play a ring from your dead or discard pile.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 9 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:52 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
wow...as much as legendary fits, idon’t like sticking a keyword on that does nothing on the card
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:04 am
I understand what SoP is saying but i also understand if a card is going to have the word legendary on the One Ring is probably quite important!

I think the card is fine, though im not sure how much i like having 2 chances to wear the ring. It should just be one thing.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 am
Sorry, quoted instead of edited! Embarassed

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:49 am
But you have not actually edited anything? Im confused Think
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:53 am
I was planning on removing the parentheses in wearing the ring as you suggested, but I quoted instead of edited my post, and I have not yet got round to editing the original yet!

Obvious really! Razz

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:55 am
Of course silly me!

You need update your sig btw about the contest.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
• The One Ring, Master Ring Ring
Str: +2
Legendary. (This keyword actually doesn’t do anything on this card, but I felt it was fitting. And no, this helper text would not be printed on a card!)
While wearing The One Ring, the Ring-bearer gains terror 1 (each time he or she is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s minion, you may make that opponent exert one of their minions) and each time he or she is about to take a wound, add 2 burdens instead.
Maneuver: Add a threat to wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.
Skirmish: Exert the Ring-bearer twice to discard a ring from play or to play a ring from your dead or discard pile.

Love the helper text. You planning on including that on the actual card? Razz

Believe it or not, I think this is a little underpowered. The strength +2 is certainly nice, and the terror is a nice touch and (for once Razz) well-balanced here. But as soon as you put the Ring on, it becomes far too weak. A threat AND lots of burdens? Not sure that’s all necessary. I’d consider giving this a vitality +1 boost. Maybe I’m nuts from being out of DCing for a few days, but that’s what I think. *shrug*
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:18 pm
I’ll think on your suggestions Dain, and any other opinions on that are welcome. Nice to see you in a DC thread!

Now you may be looking at that last card, and thinking: "What’s so weird about it? Didn’t that guy Thran say this thread was going to be weird?"

Yes, but The One Ring was my way of lulling you into a false sense of security! Razz

You may notice that the main title of this thread is "Rings", and that ’s’ is no coincidence.

The first thing that needs to be done, is a redefinition of the keyword Ring-bearer. All previous cards using that keyword now effectively say "Ring-bearer - The One Ring" and unmarked ringed resistance again only works for The One Ring.

But, in the Second Age, there were loads of rings borne by the Free Peoples, none of which were the One. So, here are some others!

(The principle being flavour-wise that the Second Age wasn’t about destroying the One, it was about protecting your own ring against the corruption of Sauron).

And so, there will now be 3 alternate rings plus ring-bearers for Elven, 1 for Dwarven and 1 for Wraith.

Let’s start with the Elven rings. One of the interesting things about the cards as you see them is that you can’t wear them. Ever. This is because the Elven lords only used their rings once, immediately saw Sauron, and so took them off. Also, the Elven rings were used to protect the Elves’ lands from the Enemy, which explains the route I took when designing them.

The other theme you’ll notice that each of these rings should hopefully be worse than any version of The One Ring, because after all, they’re only the servants of the One. To balance this, the ring-bearers themselves are significantly better than previous ARBs.

After that rambling introduction, here’s the first ring/ring-bearer combination:

• Nenya, Ring of the Elves Ring
Legendary.
Galadriel may not bear a ring.
Each time the fellowship moves from a forest site, add a burden.
Maneuver: Discard an Elven card from hand to choose a Shadow player who must heal a companion.

0 • Galadriel, Bearer of Sorrow Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 3
Vit: 3
(Res): 9
Ring-bearer - Nenya.
Each time Galadriel is about to take a wound in a skirmish, you may remove from the game 2 Elven cards in your discard pile to prevent that wound.
Fellowship: Exert 2 Elves to remove a burden.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:48 am
Thranduil wrote:

• Nenya, Ring of the Elves Ring
Legendary.
Galadriel may not bear a ring.
Each time the fellowship moves from a forest site, add a burden.
Maneuver: Discard an Elven card from hand to choose a Shadow player who must heal a companion.

Im confused here Thran as to whats going on. Sorry!

0 • Galadriel, Bearer of Sorrow Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 3
Vit: 3
(Res): 9
Ring-bearer - Nenya.
Each time Galadriel is about to take a wound in a skirmish, you may remove from the game an Elven card in your discard pile to prevent that wound.
Fellowship: Exert 2 Elves to remove a burden.

That is crazy you could easily make it so she never died in a fight. EVER. And then theres the crazy burden removal on a companion. Ick.

Thranduil

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards