LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
NappyKorn
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:57 pm
Personally if someone is just now starting the game after it has been stopped they can easily learn the abbreviation. I like the idea of keeping the abbreviation as is. If anyone else feels differently they can type the whole name out themselves Very Happy
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
AgentDrake
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:13 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Well, if you really want even more work to do on this....
I agree with NK; I was probably one of the last people to start trying to figure out all the abbreviations, but I found ’em easy enough to figure out.
Besides, we’ve got the sticky for newbies to learn the abbreviations... maybe you could add some sorta page listing the abbreviations that to your site, too?

Not that you need to do anything else to make this probably the greatest thing that’s happened to LotR player/collector support since Decipher started going to heck in a handbag.

...Just out of curiosity, about how long do you spend per week working on the autolink and the site?
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:14 pm
I agree with NK; I’d leave the abbreviation as is. There’s only a handful of cards that are commonly abbreviated, though, so it shoudn’t a problem for n00bs IMO.
I had to put something here.
NappyKorn
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:21 pm
Wow, I’m in shock the 2 people posting right after me agreed with me. I do think the the abbreviation are fairly simple if you know your cards and if not all they will have to do is ask Hey what is WoBaS?, or simply go to the stickied thread that explains what they are. I don’t see to many people joining the site now a days that wouldn’t know them anyone seeing as the game is dead and not to many new people will start out fresh with a dead game Thumbs Up
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
Kralik
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:29 pm
AgentDrake wrote:
...Just out of curiosity, about how long do you spend per week working on the autolink and the site?

Not very much really, at most an hour or two. Some extra time trying to get it up from being hacked... Both the site and the autolink program took a while to create, but now that they are essentially done, they are easy to maintain. I spend more time simply browsing CC. Smile Once I start proofreading the site again and/or programming a search engine, it will take more time.

OK, I’ll go ahead and start putting in some of the abbreviations from the stickied thread. It’s a little more work to put them in separately, but not much. Mr. Green If there’s anything that you think should be added, you can reply to that thread instead of this one. AP, do you keep the first post updated?
Check out the LoTR TCG Database! My goal is to create a central resource for all kinds of LotR TCG Information. You can have card titles in your posts AutoLink to the card pictures. Cool
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:48 pm
Kralik wrote:
If there’s anything that you think should be added, you can reply to that thread instead of this one. AP, do you keep the first post updated?

Yes, I actually just updated it a few minutes ago. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 pm
Asfaloth = Assfluff. ’nuff said. Laughing

Some fixes:

Incorrect link:

Aragorn, Ranger of the North
Aragorn, Well-traveled Guide
A Wizard Is Never Late
Balglin, Elven Warrior
Burning of Westfold
Cave Troll’s Chain
Cliffs of Emyn Muil
Corsair Ruffian
Crags of Emyn Muil
Damrod, Ranger of Ithilien
Denizens Enraged
Dwarven Armor
Eastern Emyn Muil
Fortress Never Fallen
From the Armory
Gamling, Warrior of Rohan
Gates of The Dead City
Goblin Armory
Gollum, Nasty Treacherous Creature
Gollum, Plotting Deceiver
Golradir, Councilor of Imladris
Gondor’s Vengeance
Halbarad, Ranger of the North
Hornburg Armory
Hornburg Parapet
King of the Dead, Oathbreaker
Lurtz’s Battle Cry
Mere of Dead Faces
Mordor Enraged
Morgul Ruffian
Orc Scouting Band
Ring of Retribution
Rocks of Emyn Muil
Sharku, Warg-captain
Sharku’s Warg
Sword of Dol Guldur
They Will Never Stop Hunting You
Uruk-hai Armory
War-Warg
Wastes of Emyn Muil
Weland, Smith of The Riddermark
Western Emyn Muil

No link (lots of misspellings in the official lists, but these were accepted by LOTRO):

A Clamour of Many Voices (actually, LOTRO didn’t like this either)
Corsair Halberd
Demands of the Sackville-Bagginses
Gollum, Threatening Guide
Last Gasp
Lurtz’s Bow, Black-fletch Bow
Mountain-troll
One-Upsmanship
Orkish Aggressor
Orkish Breeder
Radagast’s Herb Bag
Ruinous Hail
Shelob, Menace
So Fair, So Desperate
Stampeding Hillsman
The Misadventure of Mr. Underhill
White Hand Marshal

Possibly problematic, maybe auto-correct:

Cards with accents (ignore accents?)
Cards with ! in title (since not everyone remembers which ones have it)

Bilbo Baggins, Retired Adventurer (errata)
Bilbo Baggins, Well-spoken Gentlehobbit (errata)
Ulaire Ostea, Lieutenant of Morgul (errata)

Thanks, Kralik for the great program! GP Homage
Last edited by Elessar's Socks on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kralik
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Whoa, that list is awesome, Elessar! How did you go about finding those?

Incorrect links are mostly an easy fix... I have have to change the order of which cards to autolink first. For example, A Wizard Is Never Late should be linked before Never. Not too hard. I just move Never to the bottom of a very long list.

No link: Looks like mostly misspellings of card titles. What a catch, thanks!

Cards with accents: None of the cards in my database have the accents. It is due to a limitation with Lackey, which cannot use accented card titles (I build the website and the Lackey plugin from the same central database). Do most people type them in when posting? If so, I can put in some filters to autoreplace them with unaccented letters.

I can change the code for cards with !’s so that it links with or without the !’s.

And as for...
Bilbo, Retired Adventurer (errata)
Bilbo, Well-spoken Gentlehobbit (errata)
Ulaire Otsea, Lieutenant Of Morgul (errata)

I have the titles and card images fixed to match the errata. Do you want me to make sure the original titles autolink correctly?

Thanks for the feedback! GP Thumbs Up
Check out the LoTR TCG Database! My goal is to create a central resource for all kinds of LotR TCG Information. You can have card titles in your posts AutoLink to the card pictures. Cool
NappyKorn
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:16 pm
Just giving you another GP for all your hard work and staying so active in fixing any problems that arise. Great job Kralik Applause
No Room
Collection 4 Sale
Deck Wants
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:59 pm
Kralik wrote:
How did you go about finding those?

Really embarrassed. Embarassed I copied/pasted the Decipher lists into Notepad, ran auto-link on it, and then checked the cards individually. I’ll see if I can scrounge up a program that will do it automatically, because I might’ve missed some. d'oh!

Regarding accents and pre-errata titles, as a tester I’m just thinking of cases where cards may not auto-link correctly (beyond straight-out misspellings) and throwing them onto the field. Stuff that could be nice to have but just as well disregarded. Accents are definitely a rarity. Wink

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion