LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
TheJord
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:44 am
I have always played the following situation this way, this is possibly why I am asking this question.

Boromir + Stewards Legacy + Gondor Bow + Minion with fortification and 2 vitality

I exert Boromir because of the bow. Because exerting Boromir’s comes before the wound off the Bow, I get to exert with Steward’s Legacy as that is when the action triggering Steward’s Legacy occurs.

So, in respect to my original query, as soon as Ferny wins, Grima activates his text, then the outcome of winning the skirmish is resolved.

Sorry to challenge you bib, I am just exploring all angles.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"
NBarden
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:53 pm
Doesn’t work the same way, theJord.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:26 pm
Nah, I can see what TheJord is getting at. The way I would argue it is that an effect can consist of actions, but the effect itself is not considered an action. Actions could be placing wounds, drawing cards, moving a fellowship, etc., but you can’t say "my next action is an effect." As the rulebook describes, an effect is just a component of an action ("A effect of an action could be...").

If that sounds at all convincing to you, it follows then that the effect isn’t a "required action" (since it’s not an action) that must be resolved before the optional action from Stewards’ Legacy. Whereas placing wounds from winning/losing a skirmish is an action (winning/losing a skirmish isn’t a "cost" followed by an "effect" of placing wounds), and indeed a required one that must be resolved before the optional action from Grima.
AgentDrake
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:32 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Yeah, I think I see what you’re getting at, but I think you’re digging a bit too deep into the semantics, there.

I think that placing wounds are a PART of the minion "winning the skirmish," (this part being triggered by the fact that the minion "won," and therefore triggers the status/procedure of "winning") not an "effect" of the minion winning.

If that makes any sense....
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:22 pm
The problem with gluing winning/losing a skirmish and wound placement together though is that it might get in the way of other required actions triggered by the same. So if for some reason you wanted to discard a minion with Let Them Come! before the minion takes wounds from the skirmish, I think that can be done.
bibfortuna25
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:47 am
And that’s when the Mandatory/Optional rules come into play. Let Them Come is a mandatory action, and so the FP would get to choose whether to place the wound(s) for winning first or to use LTC first.

The timing rules for this game are really quite clear.

Steward’s Legacy works in the scenario described above because Legacy is a response to the exertion. The exertion happens before the wound from the Bow, and therefore, Legacy’s extra exertion will hit the minion before the Bow’s wound will.

Re: Ferny/Grima, placing a wound for winning a skirmish is a mandatory response. All mandatory responses must occur first, with the FP deciding the order if there are multiple mandatory responses. Once all mandatory responses are finished, then optional responses may occur. FP gets the first opportunity to use an optional action, then the Shadow player, and alternating back and forth until neither player has an optional action. Grima’s action is optional, and so he must be used after all mandatory actions.
All cards do what they say.
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:14 am
Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 423 Location: Living with the Governator
So, if I’m reading this correctly, the wounds are placed because they are mandatory actions and then (if possible) the exertions are placed because they are optional actions? That really sucks, but is fair and there really shouldn’t be a change to it, I guess.
'On and on old war shall go,
Without respite my blood will flow
O’er your eyes ‘til they cannot see
The impossibility of victory.'

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants
bibfortuna25
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 pm
That is correct. Like I said, the timing rules are quite clear for this game.
All cards do what they say.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions