LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 am
EDIT: The Shadow thread can be found at this link.

EDIT: The Rings thread can be found at this link

I guess with my Hobbit block finishing I’m having weird ideas. Razz

I’ve had thoughts about doing a Second Age set for quite a while, since I made a Cirdan for a DC contest actually, and it’s been simmering in the back of my mind for quite a while, and suddenly interesting thoughts came to me the other night (as they do).

Lets think about keywords first. What do you guys think about this lot?

Terror X - (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, you may make that opponent exert X of their characters)

Enduring X - (For each wound on this character, they are strength +X)

(making all previous enduring cards effectively Enduring 2, but it could still stack like this one does)

Bloodlust X - (For each wound on each character this character is skirmishing, they are strength +X)

(inspired by beserkers and a logical extension of enduring)

Stalwart - Ability - (When this character is assigned to skirmish a character of greater strength, you may use this ability) (eg. Stalwart - heal a companion)

Legendary [X] - (When this card is discarded, it goes to the dead pile. In order to discard this card, an opponent must add [X] (FP) or remove [X] (Shadow) in addition to any other costs).

A note on dead piles:

1) Shadow legendary cards form their own dead pile which is separate from the FP player’s and from their own FP side’s.

2) While a unique card (of any type) is in the dead pile, you may not play another version of that card (exactly how it usually works with companions).

And now for a first companion, beginning well into the deep end of controversy and weirdness with a companion representing the Lord of the Rings himself! Twisted Evil

4 • Annatar, Lord of Gifts Sauron (Free Peoples)
Companion • Maia
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 0
Enduring 1.
To play, spot 3 companions of the same culture and play an artifact of that culture from your draw deck.
Annatar’s resistance cannot be modified.
Skirmish: Exert Annatar and spot a character bearing an artifact to make that character strength +2. While you can spot 4 burdens, the first Shadow player may also use this ability.
... his hue was still that of one both fair and wise.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:04 am; edited 52 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
1. weird.
2. controversial.
3. should he really be a companion?
4. make a ring-bearer version called bearer of gifts Twisted Evil
5. works for me.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thranduil wrote:
4Annatar, Lord of Gifts Sauron (Free Peoples)
Companion • Maia
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 0
Enduring 1.
To play, spot 3 companions of the same culture and play an artifact of that culture from your draw deck.
Annatar’s resistance cannot be modified.
Skirmish: Exert Annatar and spot a character bearing an artifact to make that character strength +2. The first Shadow player may also use this ability.
... his hue was still that of one both fair and wise.

Uh...well, that’s...um...huh. Balanced, I suppose, but very, very weird. I’ll have to see more, I think, before I can really judge if you’ve gone off the deep end. Razz
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AgentDrake
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
I just don’t know. If Sauron is a good guy, then what’s the point?

But aside from that, I like him.
He’d be better as, say Celebrimbor, or someone, IMO, but it you must have Sauron as a companion....
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:10 pm
AgentDrake wrote:
He’d be better as, say Celebrimbor, or someone, IMO, but it you must have Sauron as a companion....

I just felt that he was masquerading so well as a good guy. Without him, the Three would not have been forged, for example.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
4. make a ring-bearer version called bearer of gifts :Twisted:

You’ll be so surprised how close to the truth you came! But another time I think.

Talking of Celebrimbor:

2 • Celebrimbor, Smith of Eregion Elven
Companion • Elf
Str: 6
Vit: 3
Res: 8
To play, spot an Elf (or Narvi).
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Celebrimbor to play a ring or Elven artifact from your draw deck or discard pile.
Celebrimbor is resistance -1 for each artifact you can spot.
Celebrimbor had an almost ’dwarfish obsession’ with crafts; and he soon became the chief artificer of Eregion...

One of the things I wanted to portray was a casualness towards artifacts, as if they’re not really a big deal (which they weren’t in the Third Age). This will explain Celebrimbor’s Dwarf buddy a little as well as all the Elves that are coming:

2 • Narvi, Master Smith Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 6
Fellowship: Play an Elven artifact to heal Narvi.
Fellowship: Discard your artifact from play and exert Narvi to draw a card (or 2 cards if that artifact was a ring).
’Im Narvi hain echant: Celebrimbor o Eregion teithant i thiw hin:’ ’I Narvi made them. Celebrimbor of Hollin drew these signs.’

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 am; edited 4 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Anvar
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:11 pm
Thranduil wrote:

Terror X - (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, you may make that opponent exert X of their characters)

Enduring X - (For each wound on this character, they are strength +X)

(making all previous enduring cards effectively Enduring 2, but it could still stack like this one does)

Bloodlust X - (For each wound on each character this character is skirmishing, they are strength +X)

(inspired by beserkers and a logical extension of enduring)

Legendary - (This card can only be discarded by legendary cards)

(I am as yet undecided whether cards I make legendary versions of should make all previous versions of the same card legendary as well)

Stalwart - Ability - (When this character is assigned to skirmish a character of greater strength, you may use this ability) (eg. Stalwart - heal a companion)

Terror is a very powerful ability, as others have already said. However, I like the name and I like the ability. It’s interesting, different and works on a variety of cards.

Enduring X is a good idea, like Wizards did with Echo in Magic the Gathering.

Bloodlust X is also a good idea, streamlining the berserker ability and opening it up to more cards.

Legendary doesn’t seem to do much. It seems a bit like making a card an artifact rather than a possession - just makes it a bit more durable. The real problem is that the keyword would be parasitic - only works well if everyone is using the same sorts of cards. If your opponent isn’t using Legendary cards, they will just get frustrated. All in all, I like the name, but the benefit doesn’t seem great.

Stalwart seems really interesting and would probably need reminder text. I like the idea of getting a bonus by taking on someone bigger than you.

So I’d probably do something different for Legendary. What were you thinking of putting it on?

Anvar
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:17 pm
Anvar wrote:
So I’d probably do something different for Legendary. What were you thinking of putting it on?

As I said there’s a really casual attitude to artifacts in general (making not much difference in ’discardability’ between them and possessions). I was going to put it on the important ones like the Three, Durin’s ring and the Ring of Ire (the one attributed to the Witch-King) and other vital cards. It was just a thought, not a concrete theme.

Also it seemed to relate to Middle-Earth nicely. After all, it takes a barrow-wight blade from the Second Age to kill the Witch-King etc. Terrible magic requires good magic to fight it of equal or greater power.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:52 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

Companion • Elf
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Celebrimbor to play an Elven artifact or ring from your draw deck or discard pile.
why not just say elf artifact? so you can play dwarf rings?

Companion • Elf
Fellowship: Discard your artifact from play and exert Narvi to draw a card (or 2 cards if that artifact was a ring).

uh why is he in the dwarf culture?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:19 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
why not just say elf artifact? so you can play dwarf rings?

Yes. He can play either an Elven artifact or Dwarven or Wraith rings.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
uh why is he in the dwarf culture?

d'oh! He’s a Dwarf that’s why! Razz My mistake which is now corrected.

And Anvar, I had a weird idea for legendary. What if they could only be played by legendary cards as well?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:18 pm
Thranduil wrote:
AgentDrake wrote:

I just felt that he was masquerading so well as a good guy. Without him, the Three would not have been forged, for example.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
4. make a ring-bearer version called bearer of gifts :Twisted:

You’ll be so surprised how close to the truth you came! But another time I think.

Talking of Celebrimbor:

Companion • Elf
At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert Celebrimbor to play an Elven artifact or ring from your draw deck or discard pile.

Nice. I might rephrase it Ring or Elven artifact to prevent some confusion on whether you can pull another culture’s ring.

One of the things I wanted to portray was a casualness towards artifacts, as if they’re not really a big deal (which they weren’t in the Third Age). This will explain Celebrimbor’s Dwarf buddy a little as well as all the Elves that are coming:

Companion • Dwarf

Nice. I love it.

Lores will come at some point, but I’m a bit busy. And next will be some juicy Elves.

Thranduil
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards