LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Vintage (Type 1)
Osion
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:28 pm
My second submission for the "Spring Break" Promotion, a casual deck that I’m not sure of format legality anymore. I’ll just say its vintage-legal.

About two months ago I found just about all of my good Blue and Black Card Advantage Cards and Tutors and mashed them together.
After realizing my deck had no win conditions, I added some Brain Freeze and some Tendrils of Agony

The result is not neccessarily casual (unless your playgroup considers 5 minute long turns and "Tendrils everybody for 20" fun) but the result was pretty interesting.

True Dimir (now with 100% less Dimir cards) U/B Control

----------------utility----

Acumulated Knowledge x4
Dark Ritual x4
Thirst for Knowledge x4
Fact or Fiction x4
Gifts Ungiven x2

------------game breakers---

Tendrils of Agony x4
Mind’s Desire x3

------------the one ofs----

Doomsday
Vampiric Tutor
Intuition
Yawgmoth’s Will
Desperate Research
Demonic Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Cunnning Wish
Death Wish

--------------creatures-----

Platinum Angel

--------------lands---------

Polutted Delta x4
Cabal Coffers x2
Swamp x 10
Island x 9

I realize that some of our younger readership, or players that started later in the game, might not understand what some of these cards are. The shortest explanation I can give is: Many of these cards are horribly busted and can swing a game all on there own. Think about Gifts Ungiven in Kamigawa and how it fueled a whole deck. Now imagine a deck full of the best "Gifts Ungivens" from sets all the way back to Unlimited, in 1994. yeah...

This deck is best played on a team, as it can achieve massive card advantage but has horrible early game defence. Being 7+ cards on your opponent isn’t going to do much if you’re getting beatne down by an Isamaru or something.

Once you have 6+ lands in play and a good grip full of utility, you’re ready to "go off".

Draw cards until you can get at least 1 or 2 copies of Dark Ritual, Intuition, Doomsday, Cunning Wish, or Yawgmoth’s Will in your hand.

Doomsday lets you sacrifice half your life to stack your library with any 5 cards from your library and your graveyard, then remove your library from the game.

Cast all of your dark rituals. You should have explosive mana by now. Draw the remaining cards in your deck, which should be all the rest of the dark rituals, yawgmoth’s will, and 1 or 2 copies of tendrils of agony.

Cast Yawgmoth’s Will. It will let you replay any card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cast all those dark rituals again.

You should have roughly 12 to 18 black mana in your pool. Cast any other spells you wish, then cast 2 copies of Tendrils of Agony.

You’ve cast about, hmm... 8-10 spells this turn. that means 19-23 copies of Tendrils of Agony will be on the stack under your control.

...Kill everyone, even your teammate. Muahahaha!

*This is only one way to victory. The best card-draws in B/U barring the power 9 are at your disposal, so any combination of them should allow you to win.

*The one platinum angel is for some defence or to prevent you from losing by decking. Great if you can get it into play with a Mind’s Desire.

Sideboard:

Cranial Extraction x4
Brain Freeze x 3
Infest x4
Echoing Decay x4

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Vintage (Type 1)