LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Anvar
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:55 pm
I don’t post too much on this site but I had some ideas kicking around in my head for a DC set and Thranduil persuaded me to share it here. The idea of the set is thematic rather than based on any particular section of Tolkien’s work. The theme is death in all its forms, including the undead, wraiths, tombs, foresight and so on. The mechanics are based around the discard pile, draw deck and dead pile.

My thoughts for which characters to include are below. If you have any more suggestions, I would love to hear them, especially for non-Wraith minions.

Characters - Shadow - Twilight nazgul, barrow wights, wraiths, dead marshes.
FP - Army of the dead, twilight Frodo, Aragorn, Arwen, Elladan, Elrohir, Gimli, Theoden, Theodred, Boromir, Denethor, Gandalf, Balin, Brand, Dain, Glorfindel.

Mechanics:
-Enduring X, using the same system as Thranduil, I will be using a variable Enduring keyword.
-Twilight, unloaded keyword but used more widely than in Decipher’s work.
-Legendary X, again from Thranduil. This means two things. The X is the additional cost that must be paid by an opponent to discard the card. Legendary by itself means that it goes to the Dead pile when discarded from play.
-Return - X , my own mechanic, similar to Flashback from Magic. When this card is in your discard pile, you may play it for its Return cost. Events will then remove themselves from the game to prevent infinite loops.
-Desperation, a callout keyword that signifies a character who benefits from having no cards in your draw deck.
-Scour X is a game verb meaning discard X cards from the top of your draw deck (saves a lot of space and words).
-Tomb. (Cards stacked here count as being in the dead pile. If discarded, place all stacked cards in the dead pile).

Finally, to whet your appetite:

4 •King of the Dead, Wraith Lord Gondor
Companion • Wraith
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Resistance: 5
Twilight.
To play, spot Aragorn or 2 Gondor Wraiths, and add a threat.
King of the Dead gains enduring 1 for each card in your dead pile.
“‘And thereupon the King of the Dead stood out before the host and broke his spear and cast it down.’”
Last edited by Anvar on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:05 pm; edited 9 times in total
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:12 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Anvar wrote:
I don’t post too much on this site but I had some ideas kicking around in my head for a DC set and Thranduil persuaded me to share it here. The idea of the set is thematic rather than based on any particular section of Tolkien’s work. The theme is death in all its forms, including the undead, wraiths, tombs, foresight and so on. The mechanics are based around the discard pile, draw deck and dead pile.

This would have been a good set to start at Halloween. Twisted Evil

Anvar wrote:
My thoughts for which characters to include are below. If you have any more suggestions, I would love to hear them, especially for non-Wraith minions.

FP - Army of the dead, twilight Frodo, Aragorn, Arwen, Elladan, Elrohir, Gimli, Theoden, Theodred, Boromir, Denethor, Gandalf, Balin, Brand, Dain, Glorfindel.

Some nifty ideas in there. No additional ideas offhand, but I’ll see if I can pull some thoughts out of my rusty brain soon.

Anvar wrote:
Mechanics:
-Enduring X, using the same system as Thranduil, I will be using a variable Enduring keyword.
-Legendary X, again from Thranduil. This means two things. The X is the additional cost that must be paid by an opponent to discard the card. Legendary by itself means that it goes to the Dead pile when discarded from play.
-Return - X , my own mechanic, similar to Flashback from Magic. When this card is in your discard pile, you may play it for its Return cost. Events will then remove themselves from the game to prevent infinite loops.
-Desperation, a callout keyword that signifies a character who benefits from having no cards in your draw deck.
-Scour X is a game verb meaning discard X cards from the top of your draw deck (saves a lot of space and words).

I like the new additions, though it will be interesting to see how useful desperation will be. I assume there will be a lot of discarding to make it worthwhile...such as with scour.

Anvar wrote:
Companion • Wraith
Str: 8
Vit: 4
Res: 5
Twilight.
To play, spot Aragorn or two Gondor Wraiths, and add a threat.
King of the Dead is Enduring 2 for each card in your dead pile.
“‘And thereupon the King of the Dead stood out before the host and broke his spear and cast it down.’”

Bravo on the proper lore formatting, but one tip: use "strength", "vitality", and "resistance". The abbreviations Thran uses drive me nuts. Razz

Anyway, neat card. The first comma is unnecessary though, and since enduring isn’t the start of a sentence (or by itself), there’s no need to capitalize it. I also think that, with enduring and a select few other keywords, it’s "gain", not "is". Depending on how easily cards go in your dead pile, it might be balanced, but since you’re using legendary, it’s probably better to go with enduring 1 and/or cap it at enduring 4 or something. Might get a bit out of hand otherwise.

Bravo on starting a new set. We need some new blood in the DCing realm. Welcome to the madness! Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:20 pm
Anvar wrote:
I don’t post too much on this site but I had some ideas kicking around in my head for a DC set and Thranduil persuaded me to share it here.

Wasn’t me! Must be some other Thranduil! Wink

Anvar wrote:
The idea of the set is thematic rather than based on any particular section of Tolkien’s work. The theme is death in all its forms, including the undead, wraiths, tombs, foresight and so on. The mechanics are based around the discard pile, draw deck and dead pile.

You could easily put some of those apparently Wraith minions into Sauron if you want another culture, like Wisp of Pale Sheen and those other rubbish Sauron Wraiths. I was thinking perhaps Saruman fits into this theme who is after all a Maia and can’t die though sort of does. Also, surely Sauron is an obvious choice who’s all about death and returning to life.

Anvar wrote:
Mechanics:

A terrible idea!

Anvar wrote:

Even worse!

Anvar wrote:

Where do you come up with these dumb ideas? Technically, though it should be Legendary [X], unless you plan on introducing variable costs and not just twilight which I almost did and may still do.

Anvar wrote:

No reason this shouldn’t work. Looks fun, and a streamlined method for cards like Kindreds Estranged et al.

Anvar wrote:

You should probably explain ’callout keyword’ - people often aren’t up on their MTG terms round here.

Anvar wrote:

Reminiscent of Scry, isn’t it? Wink Looks good.

Anvar wrote:
Companion • Wraith
Str: 8
Vit: 4
Res: 5
Twilight.
To play, spot Aragorn or two Gondor Wraiths, and add a threat.
King of the Dead is Enduring 2 for each card in your dead pile.

Generally, numbers in text are written as numbers not words (ie. ’2 Gondor Wraiths’). Also, non-race keywords do not need to be capitalised in the middle of a sentence. As for the card itself, looks good. Oh yeah, and because it doesn’t include a ’+’ like damage or defender, you tend to gain enduring or hunter or similar keywords rather than simply ’being’ them.

EDIT: There were a whole lot of errors the first time I wrote this post, so I’d look again!

Look forward to more.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Anvar
Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:42 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Glorfindel.
You could easily put some of those apparently Wraith minions into Sauron if you want another culture, like Wisp of Pale Sheen and those other rubbish Sauron Wraiths. I was thinking perhaps Saruman fits into this theme who is after all a Maia and can’t die though sort of does. Also, surely Sauron is an obvious choice who’s all about death and returning to life.

Good idea on Sauron and Saruman. I think I want to put all wraiths into Wraith culture, since that’s why it was renamed.

Quote:
Legendary [X], unless you plan on introducing variable costs and not just twilight which I almost did and may still do.

Indeed I do, I have one card with Legendary - Remove a threat.

Quote:

You should probably explain ’callout keyword’ - people often aren’t up on their MTG terms round here.

Actually it’s also a StarTrek:TCG term. Anyway, it just signifies that all cards with it work with no cards in the draw deck, though they don’t all work the same way.

More cards tomorrow (probably),
Anvar
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:47 am
Anvar wrote:

Mechanics:

Be wary of how powerful anything beyond enduring 2 can get.

Yeah this has always needed developing.

Yeah ive seen plenty from Thran. Not sure i like the return to play of legendary cards though.

Very cool.

Great idea but very flipping rare. Would be so tought to pull off.

Yeah sound.

Companion • Wraith
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Resistance: 5
Twilight.
To play, spot Aragorn or 2 Gondor Wraiths, and add a threat.
King of the Dead gains enduring 2 for each card in your dead pile.

Enduring 2 is OP enough without legendary cards. This is so abuseable in terms of Thran’s set so imagine with yours too. Dain has good thoughts on limiting the power of this. Nice idea though.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:18 pm
lem0nhead wrote:
Enduring 2 is OP enough without legendary cards. This is so abuseable in terms of Thran’s set so imagine with yours too. Dain has good thoughts on limiting the power of this. Nice idea though.[/b]

I agree to this, actually. Enduring 1 would be better.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Anvar
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:21 pm
Changed to enduring 1. Thanks for the feedback.

More cards soon,
Anvar
Anvar
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Some potentially very powerful cards to get this thread off with a bang. Less controversial cards will follow, so don’t panic just yet.

0 •The Stone of Erech Gondor
Artifact • Support Area
Legendary - 3
Response: If an exhausted Gondor Wraith is about to take a wound, you may spot Aragorn and add 2 threats to discard that Wraith instead.
Skirmish: Spot Aragorn and place this card in the dead pile to make each Gondor Wraith strength +2 until the regroup phase.
“’Now come! By the Black Stone I call you!’”

There are Wraith companions with Return, so discarding Wraiths is not so bad. As always with Gondor Wraiths, the challenge is keeping the number of threats in check.

3 Muster of the Dead Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Gondor Wraiths in your dead pile do not count towards the rule of nine.
To play a companion you must add two threats.
“...but the Dead followed.”

The difficulty of meeting the cost to play companions I’m hoping counteracts the potential NPE of the card. Should it have a penalty when discarded if there are more than 9 companions in play/dead pile? Should it just increase the limit of companions, making the rule of 10 or 11 for example?

Anvar
Last edited by Anvar on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:40 pm
Anvar wrote:
Some potentially very powerful cards to get this thread off with a bang. Less controversial cards will follow, so don’t panic just yet.

That’s learning too many lessons from me I think. Remember that time I started the Fall of Eregion set with a Sauron companion! Mr. Green

Anvar wrote:
Artifact • Support Area
Legendary - 3
Response: If an exhausted Gondor Wraith is about to take a wound, you may spot Aragorn and add 2 threats to discard that Wraith instead.
Skirmish: Spot Aragorn and place this card in the dead pile to make each Gondor Wraith Strength +2 until the regroup phase.

Again an issue about capitalisation: attributes do not need capital letters (whenever you submit a card for my contest with those errors, I just end up correcting them). Looks fine, probably. Perhaps too cheap?

Anvar wrote:
Condition • Support Area

Fun lore, and fun card. I wouldn’t make a habit out of this mechanic, but I reckon for Gondor Wraiths of all people it’s probably fine.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:03 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Anvar wrote:

Indeed, you have Thran’s flair for the dramatic. Razz

Anvar wrote:
Artifact • Support Area
Legendary - 3
Skirmish: Spot Aragorn and place this card in the dead pile to make each Gondor Wraith strength +2 until the regroup phase.

Very cool card. I think I’d raise the cost to at least 1, though, and lower the legendary to 2.

Anvar wrote:
Condition • Support Area

Relatively balanced, but this is one of those cards you really can’t be entirely certain about until someone like NBarden playtests and tries to break it. I’d make it unique, I think.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards