LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Anvar
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:31 pm
One final Return event (only Gondor will have quite this many):

2 Flee in Terror Gondor
Event • Regroup
Return - Add a threat
Spot 2 Gondor Wraiths to discard a possession or a twilight condition. If you played this using the return cost, remove it from the game.
“ ‘...and all the mariners were filled with a madness of terror and leaped overboard, save the slaves chained to their oars.’ ”

And a support card:

0 Depths of Dunharrow Gondor
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a Gondor companion.
Return - Add a threat.
Desperation - While you have no cards in your draw deck and can spot a Gondor companion each unbound companion is strength +1.
"’This is an evil door,’ said Halbarad, ’and my death lies beyond it. I will dare to pass it nonetheless; but no horse will enter.’"

I’ll get more into Desperation as a strategy later on, once we reach the Grey Company, but I thought this card was relevant to the Gondor Wraith strategy.

Anvar

Edit: Stupid capital letters...
Last edited by Anvar on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:39 am; edited 2 times in totalCheck out my dream card set - The Paths of the Dead.
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:27 pm
lem0nhead wrote:
Thranduil wrote:

Companion doesn’t need a capital letter (those damn capitals again). Other than that, good twist on Nimble Attack.

Hang him hang him, he said d*mn, throw him off the forums, heathen!!! Everyone grab their pitchforks and torches!!!

Rolling Eyes

Actually thank you Thran for not caring and saying what you want. Applause

Oh yeah, didn’t even notice! Normally I try not to use that dreaded word.

Anvar wrote:
1 Flee in Terror Gondor
Event • Regroup
Return - Add a Threat
Exert a Gondor Wraith to discard a possession or a twilight card. If you played this for the return cost, remove it from the game.
“ ‘...and all the mariners were filled with a madness of terror and leaped overboard, save the slaves chained to their oars.’ ”

Issue with capitals again (Threat?). My problem is that I’m not sure how to grade exerting a Wraith as a cost; on the one hand, they’re enduring so may not have the vitality spare, but on the other hand they’re enduring so it gives them a bonus. To be honest, I’d prefer I cost in twilight only for this card, I think.

Anvar wrote:
Condition • Support Area
Return - Add a threat.
Desperation - While you have no cards in your draw deck, all unbound companions are strength +1.
"’This is an evil door,’ said Halbarad, ’and my death lies beyond it. I will dare to pass it nonetheless; but no horse will enter.’"

’... each unbound companion...’ is a more common wording. Looks fine, but I’m not sure that it needs return nor why it has it at all.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Anvar
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:59 pm
Thranduil wrote:

’... each unbound companion...’ is a more common wording. Looks fine, but I’m not sure that it needs return nor why it has it at all.

Cards amended slightly (including spotting requirements for both cards).

The reason why Depths of Dunharrow has return is simple. It is based on the idea that to achieve desperation, you might want to scour your entire deck. This is the rational behind several other cards in the future having return as well as desperation.

Anvar
Check out my dream card set - The Paths of the Dead.
Thranduil
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:01 pm
Okay, fair enough.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:25 am
Anvar wrote:

2 Flee in Terror Gondor
Event • Regroup
Return - Add a threat
Spot 2 Gondor Wraiths to discard a possession or a twilight card. If you played this for the return cost, remove it from the game.

Change the word "for" to "using". I dunno if i’d leave the twilight bit in even for flavour. Its not that useful but seems an unecessary imbalance if you can discard the witch king out of pure chance you face that deck etc.

Condition • Support Area
Return - Add a threat.
Desperation - While you have no cards in your draw deck and can spot a Gondor companion each unbound companion is strength +1.

As i have said before i do not like the desperation tactic as its gonna take most of the game set up and its a crazy thing to actually aim for. Suppose return makes it *slightly* viable but not enough as in this instance you cant keep adding threats to play them.

Edit: Stupid capital letters...

Snigger

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:14 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Both look fine to me. Thumbs Up I actually like the idea of desperation and return. I’d REALLY love the potential with Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation.... Twisted Evil
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anvar
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 am
Flee in terror now only hits twilight conditions, of which there are currently none but I intend to add a couple to the Wraith and Sauron cultures. These will mainly play on companions, in a similar manner to blade tip and DDotR.

More cards later this evening.

Anvar
Check out my dream card set - The Paths of the Dead.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:17 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Anvar wrote:
One final Return event (only Gondor will have quite this many):

2 Flee in Terror Gondor
Event • Regroup
Return - Add a threat
Spot 2 Gondor Wraiths to discard a possession or a twilight condition. If you played this using the return cost, remove it from the game.
fine..

Condition • Support Area
Return - Add a threat.

ok first of all seems fine as a card...but about the mechanic, unless you are playing against an NPE deck that can’t get the irresistible shadow out it seems almost worthless.

so please explain how it is viable.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Anvar
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:29 pm
SoP, I’m glad you asked me that. How do you get Desperation to work? For the moment, I’m going to leave aside questions of how to get shadow sides to work when you can’t draw cards, and will focus simply on Gondor reaching desperation.

You’ve already seen Ghostly Banner (scour 2 cards to make bearer strength +1).

Here is a condition, part of loose cycle of ’Ride’ conditions:

1 Ride Through the Paths Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, you may scour 3 cards. For each Gondor card you scour, heal a companion. For each shadow card you scour, exert a companion.
"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door... But Arod, horse of Rohan, refused the way..."

And a tasty Artifact:

3 •Anduril, Heirloom of Gondor Gondor
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Vitality: +1
Legendary - 2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may scour 3 cards to remove a threat.
Regroup: Exert a Gondor companion to remove all threats. Place this card in the dead pile.
"’The line was broken!’
’It has been remade.’"
Last edited by Anvar on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:43 pm; edited 3 times in totalCheck out my dream card set - The Paths of the Dead.
Thranduil
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:16 pm
Anvar wrote:
1 Ride Through the Paths Gondor
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, you may scour 3 cards. For each Gondor card you scour, heal a companion. For each shadow card you scour, exert a companion.
"And indeed the love that the horses of the Rangers bore for their riders was so great that they were willing to face even the terror of the Door... But Arod, horse of Rohan, refused the way..."

I love how for Wraiths, it probably wouldn’t bother you which you scoured!

Anvar wrote:
3 •Anduril, Heirloom of Gondor Gondor
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Legendary - 2
Bearer must be Aragorn.
At the start of the regroup phase you may scour 3 cards to remove a threat.
Regroup: Exert a Gondor companion to remove all threats. Place this card in the dead pile.
"’The line was broken!’
’It has been remade.’"

A bold on ’Regroup’ would help (back to the formatting malarkey). Can’t see why it doesn’t give the customary +1 vitality, to be honest. But I like it: it’s fun. Though the question becomes: are there any mechanisms for recurring legendary cards in your set?

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards