LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
What Dark Side culture should be next?

Creature  
20%
  [ 2 ]  20%

Dark Jedi  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Empire  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Fringe (Dark Side)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Mandalorian  
40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

Separatist  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Wild Space (Dark Side)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Yuuzhan Vong  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

Total Votes : 10
menace64
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:47 pm
Circlet: Yeah, SoP, you’re right. My mind’s been focusing so much on SWCCG that I slipped into the wrong wording!

Warrior: Hmm... yeah, I’ll change it to 2/6/3/7. I suppose I did give her too good of stats.

Sense: Sure. I’ll go with your wording, Dain. Sounds better.

Sweep: I’ll add toil 1.

Robes: You know, SoP, not all lores fit perfectly with the card. But adding a bit of the Jedi Code can maximize flavor!

Dain, if you want to make some cards, be my guest. I haven’t played those games in years (don’t even have them anymore), so those are wide-open for exploration.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
menace64
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:59 pm
All right. Time to focus in on a few mechanics.

The Jedi are masters of the Force. So, naturally, their ability to manipulate and control objects is keen.

2 Thrown Back Gandalf
Event ∙ Maneuver
Exert a knight with resistance 6 or more to return a condition or possession to its owner’s hand. If you can spot a second card with the same card title, return it to its owner’s hand.
"’The power of energy over matter…and mind over both.’"

Thrown Back can temporarily dismiss up to 2 conditions or possessions that are causing your Jedi stress. Say you were facing the equivalent of two Men minions bearing Pavises. Play Thrown Back and bounce both Pavises back to hand, then dispatch the minions.

But Jedi can do more than that!

1 Force Push Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
Spot a knight with resistance 6 or more to exert a minion that knight is skirmishing. If that minion is not exhausted, its owner may cancel the skirmish to make it fierce until the regroup phase.
A focused Jedi can shunt the Force into a narrow beam of compressed air, knocking opponents away or sending them flying into chasms.

At the most basic, Force Push is a straight spot-to-exert event (which *will* come in handy, as future Jedi cards will like seeing exertion tokens). But unless you make the minion ’too tired’ to keep fighting, you might actually enrage him. The minion’s owner can elect to cancel the entire skirmish (killing off any bonuses you may have had) and then bring the minion back for another pass. That might be advantageous for you; then again, it may not be. Or you might just hold on to Force Push until the fierce skirmishes are already under way.
Last edited by menace64 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:13 am; edited 1 time in totalRiddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:08 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:

The Jedi are masters of the Force. So, naturally, their ability to manipulate and control objects is keen.

2 Thrown Back Gandalf
Event ∙ Maneuver
Exert a knight with resistance 6 or more to return a condition or possession to its owner’s hand. If you can spot another card with the same card title, return each to its owner’s hand.
right now it seems like you can return all of the same title to hand...
I believe the wording should be If you can spot...title, return it to its owners hand.

0 Force Push Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
Spot a knight with resistance 6 or more to exert a minion that knight is skirmishing. If that minion is not exhausted, its owner may cancel the skirmish to make it fierce until the regroup phase.
A focused Jedi can shunt the Force into a narrow beam of compressed air, knocking opponents away or sending them flying into chasms.

make it cost 1 for sere.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:18 pm
Joined: 30 May 2007 Posts: 423 Location: Living with the Governator
menace64 wrote:

2 Thrown Back Gandalf
Event ∙ Maneuver
Exert a knight with resistance 6 or more to return a condition or possession to its owner’s hand. If you can spot another card with the same card title, return each to its owner’s hand.

Good card, agree on SOP’s wording for it.

Thrown Back can temporarily dismiss up to 2 conditions or possessions that are causing your Jedi stress. Say you were facing the equivalent of two Men minions bearing Pavises. Play Thrown Back and bounce both Pavises back to hand, then dispatch the minions.

But Jedi can do more than that!

0 Force Push Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish

Definately needs to cost 1 or have more of a spotting requirement. Looks good though!

At the most basic, Force Push is a straight spot-to-exert event (which *will* come in handy, as future Jedi cards will like seeing exertion tokens). But unless you make the minion ’too tired’ to keep fighting, you might actually enrage him. The minion’s owner can elect to cancel the entire skirmish (killing off any bonuses you may have had) and then bring the minion back for another pass. That might be advantageous for you; then again, it may not be. Or you might just hold on to Force Push until the fierce skirmishes are already under way.
'On and on old war shall go,
Without respite my blood will flow
O’er your eyes ‘til they cannot see
The impossibility of victory.'

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants
menace64
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:10 am
All right, Push will be 1.

As for Thrown Back, I’m not too sure what you’re suggesting, SoP. But here’s a way to make it clearer:
Exert a knight with resistance 6 or more to return a condition or possession to its owner’s hand. If you can spot a second card with the same card title, return it to its owner’s hand.

And now, a few common cards that operate at the core of what the Jedi culture can do.

1 Attunement Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
Force-skill. Make a knight strength +2 (or spot 3 Gandalf cards to make a companion with resistance 7 or more strength +2). If that companion wins the skirmish, you may look at the top 3 cards of your draw deck.
"’Concentrate... feel the Force flow. Yes. Good. Calm, yes. Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future... the past. Old friends long gone.’"

Kind of a simple strength pump in disguise, huh? +2 strength for nothing, and if you win you get a look at the future. I wanted to open up the card to non-knights, because - well - it shouldn’t be limited to them. That’s a big part of the Jedi culture: they bleed over into other cultures fairly easily (of course, you’ll still need cultural enforcement).

0 Choice of Fate Gandalf
Discard X Gandalf cards from hand to heal X wounds from companions. For each card discarded over 1, add a burden.
"’Decide you must how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could. But you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered.’"

The question is, when does saving your friends begin to pull you into the Dark Side of the Force? How far can you go before you go too far?
The Jedi culture isn’t the best at healing wounds, but they have access to a few cards - like this one - that can get the job done. This card will probably fall into the uncommon rarity, but I wanted to go ahead and throw it out there.

And one more ’core card’.

0 ∙Moment of Respite Gandalf
Condition ∙ Support Area
To play, exert a knight (or spot Obi-Wan Kenobi).
At the start of each regroup phase, if you cannot spot a minion, add a Gandalf token here.
Alliance: Spot a knight and remove X Gandalf tokens here to play a card; its twilight cost is -X.
"’Before the dark times, before the Empire.’"

That might appear overpowered at first, but unless you set up a slick reinforcing engine, it’s limited by how many regroup phases there are in any given game. This card highlights a particular strength of Obi-Wan... his ability to bring cards into play cheaply. A few more Obi-Wan-centric cards will focus on this theme.
Last edited by menace64 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:53 am; edited 1 time in totalRiddle 9

Who am I?
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:40 pm
menace64 wrote:

As for Thrown Back, I’m not too sure what you’re suggesting, SoP. But here’s a way to make it clearer:

And now, a few common cards that operate at the core of what the Jedi culture can do.

0 Attunement Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
Force-skill. Make a knight strength +2 (or spot 3 Gandalf cards to make a companion with resistance 7 or more strength +2). If that companion wins the skirmish, you may look at the top 3 cards of your draw deck.
"’Concentrate... feel the Force flow. Yes. Good. Calm, yes. Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future... the past. Old friends long gone.’"

Good card. Prolly needs cost of 1 though.

Kind of a simple strength pump in disguise, huh? +2 strength for nothing, and if you win you get a look at the future. I wanted to open up the card to non-knights, because - well - it shouldn’t be limited to them. That’s a big part of the Jedi culture: they bleed over into other cultures fairly easily (of course, you’ll still need cultural enforcement).

1 Choice of Fate Gandalf
Discard X Gandalf cards from hand to heal X wounds from companions. For each card discarded over 1, add a burden.
"’Decide you must how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could. But you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered.’"

Shouldn’t it be X wounds from X companions? Like the drawback though Applause .

The question is, when does saving your friends begin to pull you into the Dark Side of the Force? How far can you go before you go too far?
The Jedi culture isn’t the best at healing wounds, but they have access to a few cards - like this one - that can get the job done. This card will probably fall into the uncommon rarity, but I wanted to go ahead and throw it out there.

And one more ’core card’.

Condition ∙ Support Area
At the start of each regroup phase, if you cannot spot a minion, add a Gandalf token here.
Alliance: Spot a knight and remove X Gandalf tokens here to play a card; its twilight cost is -X.

Nice!

That might appear overpowered at first, but unless you set up a slick reinforcing engine, it’s limited by how many regroup phases there are in any given game. This card highlights a particular strength of Obi-Wan... his ability to bring cards into play cheaply. A few more Obi-Wan-centric cards will focus on this theme.

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:13 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
menace64 wrote:

thats essentially what I suggested

0 Attunement Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
should cost 1.

1 Choice of Fate Gandalf
now this one can be 0

Condition ∙ Support Area

Fine by me.maybe though tokens cannot be reinforced, just to make sure
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
menace64
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 am
Well, Attunement shall definitely cost 1, and I’ll drop Choice to 0. I like it when two reviews line up like that!

As an aside with Moment of Respite, currently I don’t think Gandalf culture will be very good at reinforcing tokens. Perhaps other culture tokens, but not for themselves. If that changes I’ll have another look at the card.

Thanks for the reviews guys. You rock.

I think we’re long overdue for some lightsaber cards. So today I’m doing 4 cards, 1 saber and 3 cards relating to them.

2 Relic of the Old Republic Gandalf
Possession ∙ Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Lightsaber. To play, spot a knight. Bearer must be a companion.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, if he or she has resistance 6 or more, you may take a Free Peoples event into hand from your discard pile.
"’For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.’"

This costs 1 more than the other non-unique lightsaber, and at the loss of a strength point you can throw it onto any companion. But, unlike the other lightsaber, this one’s got an ability. Pretty good trade-offs, I think!

0 My Powers Have Doubled Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
Exert a knight X times to make him or her strength +X. If he or she is bearing a lightsaber, make him or her damage +X as well.
Count Dooku would not live long enough to see the fearful truth behind the young Jedi’s words.

An event to help tip the balance of a close skirmish, or to flip the lightsaber into an aggressive slash to cut a foe into many tiny pieces.

1 Repose Gandalf
Event ∙ Regroup
Force-skill. Spot a knight bearing a lightsaber to heal him or her. If you move again this turn, that knight is strength +2 until the next regroup phase.
Temporarily isolated from the Sith warrior, Qui-Gon Jinn moved into a state of deep meditation to help refocus his strength.

Good for prolonged fights. But you have to have that lightsaber!

2 The Art of the Saber Gandalf
Event ∙ Alliance
Spot a knight bearing a lightsaber to take a Gandalf force-skill into hand from your discard pile.
"’If you’d spend as much time working on your saber skills as you do on your wit, young Padawan, you would rival Master Yoda as a swordsman.’ ’I thought I already did.’"

Pretty good recursion card. I think 2 might be a bit much, but I don’t want it to exert. Adding a threat or a burden doesn’t fit the flavor... maybe discard a Gandalf card from hand? That seems like a common cost element of the culture. Let me know what you think.
Riddle 9

Who am I?
MR. Lurtzy
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:13 am
menace64 wrote:
Well, Attunement shall definitely cost 1, and I’ll drop Choice to 0. I like it when two reviews line up like that!

As an aside with Moment of Respite, currently I don’t think Gandalf culture will be very good at reinforcing tokens. Perhaps other culture tokens, but not for themselves. If that changes I’ll have another look at the card.

Thanks for the reviews guys. You rock.

I think we’re long overdue for some lightsaber cards. So today I’m doing 4 cards, 1 saber and 3 cards relating to them.

2 Relic of the Old Republic Gandalf
Possession ∙ Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Lightsaber. To play, spot a knight. Bearer must be a companion.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, if he or she has resistance 6 or more, you may take a Free Peoples event into hand from your discard pile.
"’For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.’"

I’d like to see a bonus for knights bearing this, but it’s otherwise good.

This costs 1 more than the other non-unique lightsaber, and at the loss of a strength point you can throw it onto any companion. But, unlike the other lightsaber, this one’s got an ability. Pretty good trade-offs, I think!

0 My Powers Have Doubled Gandalf
Event ∙ Skirmish
Exert a knight X times to make him or her strength +X. If he or she is bearing a lightsaber, make him or her damage +X as well.
Count Dooku would not live long enough to see the fearful truth behind the young Jedi’s words.

Good, good.

An event to help tip the balance of a close skirmish, or to flip the lightsaber into an aggressive slash to cut a foe into many tiny pieces.

1 Repose Gandalf
Event ∙ Regroup
Force-skill. Spot a knight bearing a lightsaber to heal him or her. If you move again this turn, that knight is strength +2 until the next regroup phase.
Temporarily isolated from the Sith warrior, Qui-Gon Jinn moved into a state of deep meditation to help refocus his strength.
I like it!

Good for prolonged fights. But you have to have that lightsaber!

2 The Art of the Saber Gandalf
Event ∙ Alliance
Spot a knight bearing a lightsaber to take a Gandalf force-skill into hand from your discard pile.
"’If you’d spend as much time working on your saber skills as you do on your wit, young Padawan, you would rival Master Yoda as a swordsman.’ ’I thought I already did.’"

Is alliance supposed to be fellowship? This card could safely be dropped to 1 though. Maybe discard a Gandalf card from hand or remove a card from the discard pile from the game would suffice.

Pretty good recursion card. I think 2 might be a bit much, but I don’t want it to exert. Adding a threat or a burden doesn’t fit the flavor... maybe discard a Gandalf card from hand? That seems like a common cost element of the culture. Let me know what you think.

MR. Lurtzy's Have/Wants

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards