LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:35 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Regarding AC’s earlier contention about Ungoliant not necessarily being more powerful than Shelob...I believe that Ungoliant was crazily more powerful. In the Silmarillion, she almost killed Sauron. Shelob wasn’t anywhere near that powerful.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:56 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Regarding AC’s earlier contention about Ungoliant not necessarily being more powerful than Shelob...I believe that Ungoliant was crazily more powerful. In the Silmarillion, she almost killed Sauron. Shelob wasn’t anywhere near that powerful.

morgoth not Sauron
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:52 pm
^
|
|
All the more reason
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:10 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
theOmnipotentOne wrote:
^
|
|
All the more reason

unfortuatetly yes
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AdultLink
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:54 am
Um... as a comment to all those arguing against AC about Ungoliant’s strength... I am totally with him, that Ungoliant is not ultra-powerful as some people suppose. YES, she did try to devour Morgoth (who had to flee), and send Balrogs to fight her... But!!! She was only this powerful after these events took place:
Morgoth and Ungoliant stabbed the trees of the valar and their sap poured out like blood. (quote coming) "But Ungoliant sucked it up (the sap) and going from Tree to Tree she set her black beak to their wounds, till they were drained; and the poison of Death that was in her went into their tissues and withered them... and they died. And still she thirsted and going to the Wells of Varda she drank, and swelled to a shape so vast and hideos that Melkor was afraid."
Later on she also eats up a bunch of sub-simaril quality jewels that makes her even more powerful and then it says: "But Ungoliant had grown great, and he less by the power that had gone out of him..."

So what it is seemingly happening is Ungoliant got ultra powerful from eating tree sap and gems (kinda like steroids) and then the wells of Varda (Think about a swimming pool full of Red Bull Wink ) and so she was super powerful at that time, but I don’t think that would have lasted... I’m thinkint it would have wore off. Besides, if she was soooo powerful, why didn’t she go herself to the Trees and the pools and get the Silmarils herself. Instead, she was afraid and only went with Morgoth when they were cloaked. So that’s my theory.
So if Ungoliant is to get SOOOOOoo stinkin powerful, it would have to be a strategy that involved tons of support cards and take up a whole Ungoliant deck. There, my 2 cents are in.
Haves/Wants
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:17 am
AL is correct. You would need to use a bunch of combo cards or something to make her stronger - if anyone wants to make some, I’ll be happy to review them.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:09 am
Hey, that’s a cool idea! It avoids the uber-card syndrome and makes for a cool new strategy. However, I don’t know if it would work to have it based around one "hero" minion-you’d have to play Ungoliant again every turn! Assuming you draw her...and you can only have 4 copies. Possibly include "children of Ungoliant"?
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:43 am
CG: There could be a card like Web for Ungoliant, so that she could be continually played.

By the way, what culture do you all think she should be in?
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:07 am
Probably make up an entirely new Ungoliant culture. She shouldn’t be in the Gollum culture. I suggest something like a "spider" culture, featuring Ungoliant as a big minion (the Bridge of Khazad-Dum-ish site to play her?) and smaller Mirkwood spiders for support. What should the major strategy be for the culture?
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:15 pm
Cool idea, CG. I like the idea of a Spider culture - maybe there could even be a couple versions of Shelob included.

The Spider culture could center around several different strategies, such as:

Threats
Initiative
Beatdown
Burdens (I don’t suggest this one)

I suggest using threats. Check out my ideas (I made Ungoliant a semi-powerful Spider, that can get stronger with support cards):

[10] •Ungoliant, Gloom Weaver [Spider]
Minion • Spider
Strength: 12
Vitality: 8
Site Number: 5
Enduring. Fierce.
Each time Ungoliant wins a skirmish, you may add a threat.
While you can spot 5 threats, Ungoliant is damage +1.

5 Dark Spider [Spider]
Minion • Spider
Strength: 7
Vitality: 5
Site Number: 5
Fierce.
When you play this minion, you may spot another Spider to add a threat or add 2.
While you can spot 3 threats, this minion is strength +3.

1 •Infested Mountains [Spider]
Condition • Support Area
Each time you play a Spider at a mountain site, you may add a threat.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make a Spider strength +1 for each threat you can spot.

1 Ered Gorgoroth [Site]
Mountain. Regroup: Discard your minion and remove a threat to exert a companion.

0 Deep Shadows [Spider]
Event • Skirmish
Make a Spider strength +2 (or strength +4 if you can spot 3 threats).

0 Descended from Darkness [Spider]
Event • Shadow
Remove a threat to play a Spider from your draw deck or discard pile.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards