LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
michael knight
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:51 pm
Joined: 13 Mar 2006 Posts: 105 Location: Above the Law, Ohio
Does anyone have a reliable way to beat the new Ferny deck? I was thinking about building one when Hunters finally comes out, and I was trying to figure out good ways to beat it. You know, prepare myself for the opposition. Any thoughts?
Card pool is post hunters standard, so only ROTK block forward.
One Man Can Make A Difference
Cobra
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Can you describe the deck? Cool

I’ve heard of it but don’t know the specifics...
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
michael knight
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:19 pm
here’s my decklist. I don’t know if this is the common build or not, just what I will run

3 Last Days
2 Stragglers
2 Caravan From the South
2 Oath Sworn
1 Countless Companies
2 Fires BUrning Brightly
1 Pavise
4 Mouth of Sauron, Messenger of Mordor
4 Bold Easterling
4 Corageous Easterling
4 Column of Easterlings
3 Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman

Use the MOuth to get set up, Pavise helps him do that.
USe Caravan to get tokens on Stragglers

Discard one of the easterlings in the skirmish to play a comlumn of easterlings and play Ferny with last days. Fierce skirmish assign Bill to the RB and pump him using column of easterlings and stragglers. Fires get around Tale of the great ring. Once you get Ferny on the RB every one TW gives him +4 strength with column and last days.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:15 pm
It looks lime a strong deck. Cards like Rider’s Bow and Unyielding could both throw a wrench in the idea - maybe Rohan would be a good answer. Think
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
michael knight
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:27 pm
Those are indeed viable options. I am not worried about rider’s bow so much, because I would get to choose which minion I wounded, so obviously I would just keep the wound away from Ferny. Unyielding is more dangerous. I could add a Furious Hillman to stop that though. Good ideas!!
GondorianDotCom
Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 am
Note that Last Days only lets you play minions from hand. You can’t keep playing Column of Easterlings for only 1 twilight every time you discard one to give Ferny strength +4. Sure, you use the discard in skirmish minion to play one Column, but the maximum pump you’ll have is 4 after you’ve emptied Stragglers.

One way to beat this deck is to have a very strong ring bearer, of course. I have managed to kill a 10-strength Isildur with a carefully placed Ferny and removing 16 twilight with Chieftan of Dunland (after controlling one site) to make Ferny strength 20, but it’s generally quite hard to kill off strong ringbearers with the build you described. People packing Footman’s armors or many RB pumps should be OK.

Anyone running Frodo needs to be very careful though. Could Shadowplay become a key card in hobbit decks? Each time ferny is played, you can exert a hobbit to exert him and stop him assigning himself. You can then happily assign to Bilbo and remove some burdens and probably cancel the skimishes with No Visitors Smile

The other alternative is to just have lots of Frodo pumps. The deck I am using at the moment is Aragorn Smeagol Choke with Frodo ringbearer. I use the rare hunter Aragorn and 4x naked wastes and 4x swear by the precious and various other Frodo pumps. I’ve survived many onslaughts from Ferny online and won a tournament the other day despite beating two Ferny decks.
michael knight
Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:06 pm
Right, last days plays minions from hand. So you have to try to hold the columns until you go for the kill. The discard minions can pull them back out if you need to. It isn’t a sure thing, but the hope is that you can swarm them several sites in a row, and eventually the FP will run out of pumps. Some alternate RB, like Boromir, Gimli, or even Isildur the fact that they have to fight could do some damage. Shadowplay does wreck this deck. Choke dosen’t bother me because all you need to get started is a handful of twilight. Moving with two companions in region two will net you at least 5 twilight, which can be enough to get going. Stragglers gets huge with caravan from the south to add more tokens. The key thing is to get those discard to play a minion guys during the fierce skirmish. Then discard them to play minions who don’t fight, but who you can spot for Stragglers.
You need to have a fellowship that cycles so that you can hold shadow cards. All the conditions play, so you just need to hold minions. 2 or 3 columns with a couple discard to play minions should do the trick. I know that is 4 or 5 cards, but considering that the MOuth should play all your conditions to thin you deck, a cycling fellowship should be able to set up that hand.
GondorianDotCom
Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 am
Thanks for the extra details. The decks I’ve survived against do not use Stragglers or Caravan, and have relied on Gathering Strength (which usually costs 2 once Ferny and a Column have been exerted) to get a +6 boost. I actually think your Stragglers idea is better, as Caravan can also be handy for stopping site-swapping, but it does rely on a plains site being out to add the three tokens.

Perhaps I should stop using the Ring of Doom and move to Such A Weight To Carry and then find a way to make sure I keep ending up at Cavern Entrance, stopping both Stragglers and Chieftan of Dunland. This will make me weaker than the Hunter 3 I get from the ring when people play skirmish events, but will rely on me getting to Cavern Entrance to protect against big skirmish abilities.
michael knight
Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:40 am
It all depends on your meta. I personally love the grass ring because I don’t see that much archery or morcs, and it is an awesome boost for frodo without having to save slots for hobbit sword or strength cards. And like you said, it dosen’t get stopped by cavern entrance. However, playing SAWTC is a guessing game sometimes. Better lucky than good right?
I have a couple plains in the site path, so if I go first I drop a plains first, otherwise I just try to play one later. I think gatehring strength is good, but you can only expect to hold so many cards in your hand. I like to have the pumps on the board so I can just hold minions. Besides, If they have condition removal the whole thing probably won’t work anyways.
orian_unplugged
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:14 am
concerning the ferny decks, some strategies against him:

- it is very much relying on conditions, because it can’t afford to keep the right combo in hand at the right time. Any condition removal deck will hurt Bill very much : remove countless companies as soon as you can to avoid the rapt hillman + pavise combo! remove last days if you’re afraid of fierce fernys. so on...

- controling sites/liberating sites. If you really think Ferny is the only guy that can threatens your ultimatelly powerful free people sides, why not playing a site controling shadowside, or better throw some liberating sites card like the friendly rohan cards (shield, condition, follower)

- getting rid of chieftain of dunland. Since he is very expensive, a good way to get rid of strong Ferny is to kill Chieftain first - by wounding him in skirmish or achery, discarding him before, sent back... so on. little detail. be very careful in the order of your skirmishes because Ferny + last days and another guy that can be discarded any time sounds much like a trick

- at last, don’t be too afraid of Ferny. The shadow is very long to set up correctly and a fellowship running correctly from the start has many chances to defeat it. you won’t cross a 60str Ferny every site Wink

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions