LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

75%
  [ 3 ]  75%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
MagicTheGathering
Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:23 pm
--- description ---
Niv-Mizzet combo power.
--- end description ---

Being the casual player that I am, I find it boring to easily defeat and conquer with "cheap" magic. We all know it; red direct, blue counter and the unglued/unhinged. I find the fun in magic by creating devastating combos. Now note they aren’t usually type 2 legal but in casul, they can be excellent fun. Even winning isn’t always the most fun, having pointless or infinite combos are my specialty.

The most recent combo deck I made is based off 4 cards. Cowardice, warped devotion, geth’s grimoire and niv-mizzet, the firemind. The way it works is very devious and looping. The more creatures the opponent has, the better! The goal is to draw the entire library and lay lawgmoth’s bargain and spellbook. That way you don’t get decked or need to discard. With a few whirlpool effects you can do massive damage just from drawing or playing one card.

Although this isn’t tournament 2 legal, it’s fun to know that know creature is safe when this dragon unleashes his prowess. Beware MTG gamers, casual play just got one little bit more evil. Who ordered a win?

Card list

2 wall of tears
1 skyscribing
2 private research
1 temporal cascade
4 cowardice
1 whirlpool drake
3 whirlpool rider

4 warped devotion
1 decree of pain
1 yawgmoth’s bargain
2 promise of power
1 larceny

4 niv-mizzet, the firemind
1 rakdos ickspitter
1 rakdos guildmage
4 razorfin hunter
1 smoldering tar

4 geth’s grimoire
2 spellbook

8 island
7 swamp
6 mountain

I calculated the dramatic effects of getting 4 of each of my 4 combo cards out. If the opponent has 4 or more creatures this works great.
1. I draw a card and my 4 niv-mizzets target the opponent’s 4 creatures
2. all four creatures are returned to their hand by cowardice
3. warped devotion makes the opponent discard 16 cards from their hand
4. depending on how many they discard I may draw up to 4x that #
5. it continues for as long as I have cards or they have creatures
6. If the opponent and I had inf. creatures and libraries I would have my library in my hand way before he’d lose all his creatures

Have fun; suprize, enjoy and delve into the realm of the infinity. If you find a combo, I’d love to hear. Thanks for reading!
-MTG
Cleston
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:23 am
what do you mean by ’have 4 niv mizzet’? the guy is a legend...

ok then, you draw your deck, and then what happens? at least finish the combo off with something like Spiraling Embers, or even the new Kindle the Carnage... now that’s a combo...

I’m also afraid that you won’t have the time to play all your pieces...
- "If I die, your deck will crumble!"
Gandalf (any of them)
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:57 pm
Well Cleston, you do have some good points, but when it comes to win conditions, I’ll take four even in legendary form. They tend to try and kill it as fast as possible, see, so then you can have an extra in hand.

Plus, if its a win condition, by definition it will make you win. Even a card down, it should still end the game.

That’s not to say by any means that I think he will live long enough to play a Niv-mizzet... I wouldn’t be implying that. I think this needs some powerful mana acceleration or something that can get a purpose across (see Carven caryatid). This seems like a deck that needs some polishing to be even good in casual.

If I order a win, my casual wizard deck will get it. Or the casual landkill deck. (Those are my only two casual decks).

P.S. Where’s curiosity? It’s the best combo with Niv-mizzet there is. It’s 20 damage next upkeep Very Happy
MagicTheGathering
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm
Whirlpool rider does approx. 30-40 damage depending on how many cards you have so the first card you named dosn’t matter. The other card is pretty cool so I think I’ll buy those. Thanks for the comments and suggestions, (I forgot the legend rule) I am an older player and just got back into it so I’m a bit rusty. Thanks again.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 pm
I guess whirlpools would be good in clearing the board, but curiousity is just an auto-win that will work better than whirling. I still don’t see how you’re going to pull down niv-mizzet fast enough...
The First
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:47 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Nice combo, however you do seem to have a very expensive deck with almost no early game creature control. Kagemaro (even though not to early either) or Pyroclasm might help you out.

Mutilate is also a good option but I fear that you don’t have enough swamps.

IMO Will o’ the Wisp is a good blocker early game. You could try him.
Cobra
Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:17 pm
Nice ideas, others have already said a lot about the deck. As far as the article itself, I’d like to see more depth -- the facts are here but the strategy is lacking. There are all sorts of things you can add (card-by-card analysis, matchups, playtesting results, sideboard options, etc.) which will help readers understand how this deck works, and why you made certain decisions in building it.

Also, you should take a moment to edit your article for spelling, grammar, and such... getting rid of those little distractions sometimes bumps people’s ratings up a bit. Cool

Thanks for writing, hope to read more from you!
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest