LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
MythandManicle
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:34 am
--- description ---
Psychic Possession abuse is too fun to resist. Possess your opponent, and reap the benefit!
--- end description ---
Welcome to my first article! As the title and description signify, this will be all about Psychic Possession abuse. From the second I had seen it, I was thinking about ways to turn it into a powerhouse, and here’s one of many:
Land:
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Hallowed Fountain
8 Island
8 Plains
Creatures:
4 Pride of the Clouds
4 Kami of the Crescent Moon
Others:
4 Condemn
4 Psychic Possession
4 Vision Skeins
4 Skyscribing
2 Peace of Mind
3 Worship
3 Dovescape
4 Azorius Signet
I think I’ll take a page out of La_Sin_Grail’s book and do some card reveiws/reasons for inclusion.
Psychic Possession: The decks centerpeice. On It’s own it nets you an extra card on your opponents turn, but vision skeins etc. just makes it sick. Sick as a dog. Or someone with the bird flu. I fear disease Shocked
Vision Skeins: The cheap, efficient card draw of the deck. It’s playable on it’s own, but with psychic possession in play, you’ll draw four cards, while your opponent draws a measly two.
Skyscribing: Essentially the equivalent of vision skeins, although it will consistently allow even more card draw in the late game. It’s incredibly sastifying to declare x as 3 and draw 6 cards.
Kami of the Crescent Moon: Just plain good, recursive card draw. Survives shock and seal of fire, which is a boon. Comes out early, which is great for finding your combo/lock pieces. After you’ve dropped your ’scape, he allows more cards in hand which equals more tokens in play.
Peace of Mind: If your hand gets a little too big, just get rid of it! The life is pretty essential in the early game, if you absolutely need it. It also allows you to draw past your 7 card limit if you can, and discard the jank for life.
Worship: Stops aggro from killing you before you drop dovescape/get the ’scape engine going. Early game, this is essential to survival, but since I’m running the massive card draw I only included three.
Dovescape: If Psychic possession is the hero of the story, Dovescape is the heroine. It forms a pretty hard lock with worship, and your card drawing should ensure you have more tokens than your opponent.
Condemn: Also there to help survive aggro. Pretty self explanatory, just stall until you get your lock.
Pride of the Clouds: With all those Dovescape tokens, this guy should be huge. A few turns after you get your lock, this guy should be able to swing ftw.
Azorius Signet:Helps power out an early dovescape/worship, which is great in a deck focusing on expensive enchantments. Other than that, pretty self explanatory.
Playing the Deck
Keep in mind this is a casual deck, FNM worthy at best. The deck plays fairly well, but it is pretty slow. Your gameplan is to drop Psychic possession and kami of the crescent moon early. Once those have been established, chances are you’ll be drawing many a card with the help of vision skeins and skyscribing. Hopefully you’ll draw Worship and Dovescape, which are a hard lock if they are in play at the same time. All the while, stall with condemn and peace of mind. The kami’s card draw combined with your Dovescape lock should be enough to overflow your opponent with 1/1 flying counters.
Sideboard:
Wrath of God is great tech vs. aggro, and is the crucial sideboard card. Without it, Zoo basically walks all over you, then comes back and starts kicking you while you’re down. Other than that, Counters are great, and Windreaver is an excellent finisher. The sideboard for this deck is quite open, so lots of creativity can be unleashed here. Twisted Evil Here’s the board, but if there’s something you don’t like, make your own.:
4 Wrath of God
1 Dovescape
2 Windreaver
4 Soul Warden
4 Supply/Demand
Sideboard Analysis
The deck really needs a way to combat aggro, so this board is designed for that purpose. Soul Warden is there for early pressure/blocking. It also serves double duty once you have Dovescape in play, helping to keep you alive. Wrath is pretty self-explanatory as far as it’s inclusion, and Windreaver is w/u’s best finisher right now. I put in an extra dovescape in case of enchantment hate. Supply/Demand is great for finding that elusive ’scape or Windreaver. Soul Warden is great vs. aggro, taking worship’s spot. Apart from that, cards to remove and include are based on your thoughts/matchup. Overall, this board adds a little more aggression, and an alternative win condition.
Other Ways to Take the Deck
If you don’t mind splashing another colour, it would be quite entertaining to cut Dovescape, Worship, and Pride of the Clouds to splash red and add Niv-Mizzet and friends. Niv + Psychic Possession combo=end of game. In fact, you could cut white altogether and go r/u. Keeping the deck u/w but making it aggro would interesting. Just remove dovescape, Worship, and peace of mind for cheap efficient fliers and voila! You have aggro. Anyway you take it, the decks a blast to play.
I hope you enjoyed my take on Psychic Possession, and the article it was contained in. I would be happy to hear suggestions and inspiration for other articles. Until then, may you possess the opposition. Dancing
Last edited by MythandManicle on Mon May 15, 2006 7:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
Cobra
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:16 am
Welcome! Very Happy

Nice article, good ideas and well-presented. I’ll leave the strategy comments to those with more experience. As far as the article itself goes, you may want to add another section or two -- complete sideboard list? playtesting results? in-depth matchup analysis? These aren’t absolutely necessary, but more content = better, and reviewers tend to look for these things (matchups in particular). Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
MythandManicle
Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:08 pm
Matchups aren’t my forte. At my area’s store three quarters of the players are running crazy combo decks, so I couldn’t really tell you how this deck compares to many others. I’ll add the sideboard list and analysis though.
Cleston
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:53 pm
I like it, welcome! Keep them coming... Cool
- "If I die, your deck will crumble!"
Gandalf (any of them)
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:01 pm
Allright! Congrats on your first article!

I would recommend matchups, and I know this can be a challenge. What I would recommend is getting a friend who can play well and an MTG simulation program. What I usually do is proxy my deck and have a friend play the simulation against it (I recommend Apprentice).

Sideboard is a great tool as well, perhaps set a sideboard instead of listing possibilities?

For the deck itself, I personally don’t see why you chose walking archive over kami of the crescent moon when kamis cost less and have better bodies. If you plan to use the counters, that brings me to my last point.

The deck just seems slow. It looks to me like you won’t actually get anything of importance down until turn three, which is going to really hurt against many decks including agro (damage quickly) and heartbeat (you give them time to go off).

I think it looks good if you can get a dovescape into play, but I don’t see that happening right now.

You might want to consider azorious signet and/or annex to help out the rate at which you play, as well as spell snare. Consider dropping peace of mind and walking archive as well. I don’t think it’s a strong enough combo alone to make a difference, but if you add more to the combo, it becomes an Owling Mine Variant.

I kind of like the whole dovescape thing better than the psychic possession theme unless you have something more pertinant to do with the cards than discard them for life, but that’s just me.

I like the new thinking of the deck and the style of the article. Keep polishing up and good luck!
MythandManicle
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:21 pm
Thanks for the input. As far the decks speed goes, I’ll add signet, I think annex would be slightly less useful, as I want to be playing worship, psychic possession and possibly skyscribing. Hussar is unneeded, so I’ll shun him. Kami isn’t a bad idea, definately improves the early game, and is out of shock/seal range. Don’t think I’ll even test that one, I’ve had 3 opponents kill archive the turn it’s played, very frustrating. I also like the Dovescape thing better than the psychic possession, but without possession, I’ve had several opponents out-token me. Peace of mind, however, stays. I live in fear of the day I draw tons of cards, only to discard down to 7. At least with it I get some effect from the extras. As far as Apprentice goes, do you mean the one on Mrpowers.com?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:28 pm
I don’t think so.... there’s a few simulations you can find around. go on google and search for it. You’ll find one at some point. I can’t remember where I got mine, all I know is I found it on Google.
MythandManicle
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:49 pm
Found it! I’ll add matchups in a day or so. Thanks for the help.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:58 pm
Kewl. No problem. (Try testing annex. Sometimes stealing a land messes them up more than you’d think)
MythandManicle
Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:05 pm
the dis patch wont open, guess I’ll have to download winzip off limewire.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest