LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
MythandManicle
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:41 am
Nice alterations, but as far as muddle and infiltrator go, I personally think the infiltrator is your best bet between the two. Muddle is a great counter, but too narrow to be relevant vs. things like zoo. If you need a simulation program, try magic workstation: http://www.magicworkstation.com btw, I’d be happy to help you test.
Cobra
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:58 am
I agree with M&M here -- new decklist looks lots better, but Dimir Infiltrator should definitely be picked over Muddle the Mixture.

No, we don’t care about his ability to "infiltrate" and deal small damage, but we do care about a cheap 1/3 body that might be needed early game against aggro.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:02 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I made substantial changes to the deck again, and I think I’ve got a pretty fast way to Mill now, I’ll test it against a friend, and if it’s any good, I’m altering the main post with the new deck. Oh, and btw, thanks to MythandManicle for the tip on simulators, I’ll try to download it later! Very Happy
And I think I’ll rewrite the article "La_Sin_Grail style", I liked the way it looked.
Until my next post...
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:43 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Overgrown Tomb x4
Watery Grave x4
Llanowar Wastes x4
Underground River x4
Yavimaya Coast x4

Ouch... 12/20 lands require you to take some damage. And aggro is already a painful match-up. Also, I don’t think that 20 land will be enough, especially if you’re counting on keeping some mana free for your counters.

Why not some signets? Fixing + Accel. all in one. And they don’t cause any pain.

Will-o’-the-Wisp x4

Seems more like controlling the creatures than removing them, which is a fight you’ll lose eventually + you give their creature removal cards a purpose. Using good removal cards like putrify and last gasp is way, way better/more efficient (it will remove those creatures + create dead cards in opponent’s hand).

Drift of Phantasms x4

ditto

Circu, Dimir Lobotomist x2

This is actually a win more card in mill decks. Either, you’re winning -- you can focus on milling your opponent while controlling the board -- and he’ll make sure that your opponent will be able to play less, or he’ll be totally useless. I’d drop him.

Recollect x4
Glimpse the Unthinkable x4

Looks good. I’d add 2-3 Psychic drains. They mill + gain you some life. They’re useless if you stay at 20 land though.

Muddle the Mixture x2

Horrible - drop

Induce Paranoia x4

I’d prefer Hinder. 1 cheaper which means you can do something faster. eg Glimpse + Hinder = 5 mana while Glimpse + Induce = 6 mana.

Clutch of the Undercity x4

What’s this supposed to do? You don’t go on damage. Unless you’re hoping that those Zombies will make the difference on their own.

Dimir Infiltrator x2

Add 2

It is really hard to make a semi-decent mill deck. I’ve been trying to get one up and running for some time now. You should focus on board control and mill when you can.

Walls won’t get you board control, removal and counters will.

I’ve switched to a WuB mill deck. I’ve added White for control (Wrath, Fetters and Mortify), Blue for counters (Mana leak, Hinder and Remand). Psychic drain and Fetters for life gain and only 4x Glimpse and 3x the Drain as mill cards. 2x Twincast and 4x Demand as utility.

SIDEBOARD:
Mindleech Mass x1
Moonlight Bargain x2
Vigor Mortis x4
Szadek, Lord of Secrets x1
Diabolic Tutor x2
Leyline of the Void x1
Putrefy x4

MD putrefy, plz. Why on earth would you put it in your SB in the first place.
Drop Szadek and the Mass. They are too expensive and the leech doesn’t really fit IMO. The bargain is too expensive for this deck.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:39 pm
It looks like the mana base will kill you alone on this one. It’s just a lot of pain. I felt it even today when I played the Zoo (12 Ravduals, no pains). Also, I’m not sure you have quite enough milling? I mean... I just don’t think it looks likely. Might want to try the shirei/kami of false hope lock or traumatize or something.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:48 am
Actually, Clutch of the Undercity was there so it could be Trasmuted into Circu. But since I’m dropping him, I’ll drop it too. I’m thinking about the whole White idea, but that would mean dropping Recollect, or maybe should I keep some of the G duals?
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:50 pm
Controlling the board for a few turns = mill Laughing The longer it takes to finish the game, the better for you. The only thing bothering me atm, is that I have to counter most creatures before I get a Wrath of God (you don’t know if you’re going to get one before they play a creature). After the first Warth, you control the board with Fetters, Mortify and the rest of the counterspells. Every turn you stretch the game = extra mill.

In your deck, you get 2 or 3 Glimpses and recollect them (8 out of 60 cards = Glimpse). Well, that’s not entirely true. You have some transmute cards for Glimpse as well. My deck uses 4x Glimpse and 4x Demand. So that equals 8/60 as well. I play 2x Twincast. Along with 3 Psychic drains, you should be able to mill 60 cards.

I’ve been thinking about adding a card that can transmute for Wrath, Fetters and a few others.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:04 pm
If you have a control deck with three colors, you’re fine. If you’re playing four colors.... that can get painful. I think perhaps Dimir white would be best. Something like:

4 Wrath of God- board control
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable- mill
4 Hideous Laughter- board control
4 Night of Soul’s Betrayal- board control
4 Traumatize- mill
4 Dimir House Guard- Transmute for Wrath of God
4 Brainspoil- Transmute for Traumatize
4 Isamaru, Hound of Konda- Everybody plays them, cancel legendary for legendary at their speed loss
3 Muddle the Mixture- search for Glimpse
2 Dimir Infiltrator- Blocker/Transmute for Glimpse

23 lands (shocks especially)

This should allow you to just find enough copies that you can spam mill a lot, with enough board control to keep them in check. Might want to try this out. Sideboard would need kami of ancient law and mortify and counterspells.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:54 pm
I altered the Main Post, with a new deck structure. Check it out now, everyone!
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:34 am
I think you underestimate Faith’s Fetters. It isn’t JUST another version of Pacifism. Not only does it gain you 4 life and cost 2 more but you can play it on ANY permanent and it cancels its activated abilities. Vitu-Ghazi in MUC anyone? Jitte in aggro. Cancel out Teysa’s game text before she removes my Firemane Angels from the game (= bad). The options are unlimited. I went to 1 FNM about 2 months ago and if a certain deck used white, you could count on it that it had 3-4 fetters in it (unless it was WW).

Order of the Stars is inferior to Descendant of Kiyomaro IMO. The Order has protection but doesn’t kill. It doesn’t protect you from a Giant Solifuge for instance. If you play it right, the Descendant kill the Solifuge and you’ll gain 3 life on top. If you want to use a blocker, I’d advice you to take the Descendant. You can even attack with it if there are no blockers, just to gain some extra life.

What if they take out Shirei? Then you’re trick doesn’t work anymore. Not really a combo I would want to rely on. Remember that you won’t be able to play him untill turn 6 if you get a signet and enough land (unless you don’t keep 2 mana for mana leak). At that point they’ll probably have 6 mana as well. Char, Putrify, Mortify, ... all cost 3 mana. Leak adds 3 for a total of six.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest