LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: King Under the Mountain/The Lidless Eye  (Read 4495 times)

April 11, 2017, 05:35:19 PM
Read 4495 times

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
King Under the Mountain/The Lidless Eye
« on: April 11, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »
Here's another deck I've been working on. I'm using it to introduce my brother to the game. He's a huge fan of the dwarves, so I put together a dwarven focused deck. I used the deck by Shawn Conley under the Dwarven culture section as a template, and made some of my own changes.

Ring-bearer (2):
Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer x1
The One Ring, the Ruling Ring x1

Site Path (9):
East Road
Ettenmoors
Council Courtyard
Moria Stairway
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Caras Galadhon
Anduin Wilderland
Shores of Nen Hithoel
Tol Brandir

Free Peoples (35):
Gimli, Son of Gloin x1
Fror, Gimli's Kinsman x1
Farin, Dwarven Emissary x2
Gloin, Friend to Thorin x1
Dwarf Guard x2
Dwarven Axe x3
Hand Axe x3
Hobbit Sword x1
Book of Mazarbul x1
Beneath the Mountains x1
Make Light of Burdens x1
Great Works Begun There x1
Endurance of Dwarves x1
Lord of Moria x2
Flurry of Blows x3
Battle Fury x3
Cleaving Blow x3
Delving x3
Hobbit Stealth x2

Shadow (35):
Orc Ambusher x4
Orc Scout x2
Orc Butcher x3
Morgul Slayer x1
Orc Scouting Band x3
Orc Hunters x3
Tower Assassin x1
Band of the Eye x2
The Balrog, Durin's Bane x1
Vile Blade x3
Under the Watching Eye x3
Spies of Mordor x2
You Bring Great Evil x2
Seeking It Always x1
Hate x4

After pulling 4 copies of Hate, I figured I had to try my hand at putting together a Sauron side. I tried to be aware of the number of minions vs conditions & such, and I think I succeeded. Vile Blade seems like a better choice than Orc Scimitar, unless I had other ways to ensure extra twilight. I think this deck should be a good intro to the game for my brother, and look forward to constructive criticism. Thanks!

April 12, 2017, 03:46:02 AM
Reply #1

evergrey84

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: King Under the Mountain/The Lidless Eye
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:46:02 AM »
i would change the hobbit sword with sting, you can reduce twilight and knowing the cards of your opponent is better. And cut the vile blade with enduring evil is much better.

April 12, 2017, 07:37:22 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
There's a lot going on here that works. There are a few things that don't. Let's dish.

One of the things Dwarves do best is getting big and strong without spending a lot of twilight.

Book of Mazarbul is great for hand extension. Remember the "rule of four" regarding card drawing. Delving is helpful early in the game, but less so as the game progresses (once the Book is in play).

Dwarves are bad against corruption attempts. A Sam, Son of Hamfast splash is almost necessary. You can either use his gametext to peel of burdens, or sacrifice Frodo (giving the ring to Sam) if the burdens start to add up.

Where are Dwarven Bracers? Gimli's Helm? I would consider dropping the two copies of Dwarf Guard for a little more Frodo protection. Bounder, perhaps? Maybe a single Thrarin, Dwarven Speedbump to throw in front of the Balrog?

You'll have to decide if Battle Fury and Cleaving Blow are your best calls. I prefer Axe Strike personally.

A few notes on the Shadow side: Four copies of Under the Watching Eye. I happen to love Orc Assassin--you might be able to pick off Sam, Son of Hamfast or Merry, Friend to Sam. You'll figure out your perfect balance for minions and conditions. I don't think that the possessions are even necessary in the deck. You want your minions to show up, exert-to-wound, then move on. In this regard, perhaps Orc Soldier is a better [read: cheaper] call than Orc Hunters. Morgul Slayer has almost no chance of adding a wound in the regroup phase.

Dwarrowdelf Chamber is a good idea for a site four. Most decks don't run Gimli, so you are getting two additional exertions. The damage bonus doesn't really do too much for you with your hardy companions anyways.

Anduin Wilderland is a fine choice for site 7 without any copies of Orc Bowmen. When the time comes, you might want to consider Anduin Confluence. Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad (with Vilya!) can be a killer, and Secret Sentinels is brutal.

Just a few thoughts. Keep posting!
-wtk

April 12, 2017, 11:59:11 AM
Reply #3

evergrey84

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:11 AM »
Yeah, Gimlis Helm, gimlis battleaxe. Endurance of dwarves. Grimir to get event cards. Storm of argument. Later i post my dwarven deck for you.

April 13, 2017, 04:55:47 PM
Reply #4

ArtificerAlf

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:55:47 PM »
i would change the hobbit sword with sting, you can reduce twilight and knowing the cards of your opponent is better. And cut the vile blade with enduring evil is much better.

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't have any copies of Sting yet. I'm continuing to pick up FOTR packs 2 at a time from my FLGS, so hopefully I can open one soon. I feel like I should just preface all my posts with what I currently don't have, since I'm well aware what rares I'm still missing. :)

I'm also missing Gimli's Helm, and his axe, and the dwarven possession rares. I seem to have opened way more Shadow rares in 3 boxes than my Free Peoples....I did just open a foil Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark today, which is a card I've really wanted for when I start tinkering with Towers and TS. :D

I went up to 4 copies of Under the Watching Eye. I also added Sam and swapped site 4 and site 7. Axe Strike may very well be something to use, but I'm also hoping my brother gets interested in playing that he will want to keep tinkering with my decks and play the cards he wants to play to. So for right now, I think it's at a good place for an introductory game. Look out for my next post, as I'm going to try and put together a Hobbits/Isengard deck for my wife to join in the fun.

Thank you so much for all your help!