LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fallback point and backups  (Read 2781 times)

September 24, 2017, 10:04:12 AM
Read 2781 times

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Fallback point and backups
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
Recently I had a friend lament that a niche website that he used to visit went offline, taking with it a number of files that don't exist anywhere else.  This got me into a bit of a paranoid mood, since it's quite possible that this could happen to this website any day, especially with Kralik's absence. 

So I'd like to discuss the concept of a fallback point that we could regroup to if we woke up one day and found that this website was no longer maintained.

Personally I think that Reddit is a good choice, since it has stuck around as long as it has.  There is in fact a LotR-TCG subreddit located here: http://www.reddit.com/r/LOTRTCG.  It's essentially dead, but unlike a random phpbb forum, subreddits are not liable to evaporate into mist when they die.

I spent some time today backing up the wiki, as I posted over on that forum..  I would also like to make known my relatively extensive archive of LotR-TCG-related media, which clocks in to around a gigabyte's worth of stuff.  The wiki backup is there, as well as all card images, installers/zips of all the various programs that one can play, which makes up about 800 megs of it.  The remainder are decklists that I've collected, fonts, official rulebooks/spoiler lists, culture icons in various resolutions, and some of the tools that I've tinkered with over the years.

Please download it and back it up someplace safe, if you think that you have the time and longstanding storage from it.  It would just be too much of a pity if this stuff poofed into smoke one day.

I can be contacted at hyperlink dot teltura at gmail dot com, and this email at least isn't going anywhere (I've been using it since 2006). 

Anyway.  Just thought I'd throw all this out there.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

September 26, 2017, 11:19:02 AM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Fallback point and backups
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
I've picked it up, will try and hang on to a copy at all times. I've often wondered if Gemp might disappear some day, and the sites are pretty much symbiotic at this point. Thank you for doing this TelTura :)
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

September 26, 2017, 11:59:05 AM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »
Well if it does, the owner has his code on got hub (which was also mirrored in the backup), so it's not completely out of the question to rehost even that if it becomes an issue.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

September 27, 2017, 12:47:49 AM
Reply #3

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:47:49 AM »
Good to know, that we have a backup-plan now. Thank you for your work

January 05, 2018, 12:29:32 PM
Reply #4

Kralik

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:29:32 PM »
I have nightly backups of the server that are duplicated off-site. There's a glitch where PHP crashes from time to time, causing TLHH and the wiki to go down. I've recently added my forum email address to my phone, so I should be quicker to respond when/if that happens. There's also the domain registrar email address which will go straight to me.