LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Splash Archery - RB Kill  (Read 11828 times)

November 17, 2009, 05:57:49 AM
Read 11828 times

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
Splash Archery - RB Kill
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:57:49 AM »
This is one of my most successful decks, I think it has like 2 losses on GCCG, it's basically a gondor-elven archery and a slightly strange shadow side.

36-36

Free Peoples

Isildur, Bearer Of Heirlooms
The One Ring, Such A Weight To Carry

Aragorn, Elessar Telcontar
Faramir, Captain Of Gondor (Starting)
Denethor, Lord Of Minas Tirith (Starting)
Arwen, Queen Of Elves And Men x3
Legolas, Greenleaf x3
Gil-Galad, Elven High King x2
Elrond, Venerable Lord x2
Sam Son of Hamfast

Aragorn's Bow
Faramir's Bow
Gwemgil
Elven Bow x4

Company Of Archers x4
Double Shot x4

Gondor Bowmen x4
The Splendor Of Their Banners
Shadow Between x2

Shadow

Gollum, Dark As Darkness x4
Morgul Brute x4
Morgul Destroyer x4
The Witch-king, Lord Of The Nazgul x4
Ulaire Enquea, Ringwraith In Twilight x3
Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant Of Morgul
Ulaire Nelya, Black-Mantled Wraith x2

Fell Beast x2

Captured By The Ring x3
Sweeter Meats x3

Evil Smelling Fens
His Terrible Servants x2
Out Of Sight And Shot
Stronghold Of Minas Morgul x2

Strategy: Free Peoples
You want to get at least one elf the first turn, so mulligan if you don't get QOEAM or Greenleaf, at site three exert Denethor to pull Elessar Telcontar, heal Denethor then grab Aragorn's Bow and Faramir's Bow, you can then kill Denethor if you need to, pump out the archery with Gondor Bowmen and Double Shot, Elf Song for burden removal and Company Of Archers for condition discard, Healing is there with Aragorn and Elrond, save Greenleaf and Aragorn's Bow until you really need them, use Gil-Galad if you need to double and Celeborn and Arwen for skirmishing. A few thoughts, Often times I need more healing but I'm not sure what to put in, should I change Isildur to Frodo so I can heal both cultures with Aragorn's ability? Also, Such A Weight To Carry or Answer To All Riddles? I've considered adding Still Needed just for a strength boost and combo with Elrond and Celeborn but what to take out since it is already pretty big at 36.

Strategy: Shadow
I think this is one of my more brilliant ideas, it is at least one of my very few original ideas. Add burdens and threats with Brute and Destroyer. you can wound the RB like heck with all the cards in there, Stronghold of Minas Morgul is there if your facing Answer To All Riddles, I get the tokens on it with Destroyer and Captured By The Ring combo plus the Nazzies, Brute is also good. once you finally get the RB exhausted, combo Gollum with Sweeter Meats to keep him healthy till the regroup phase (since rings don't work in regroup) or just get them with Enquea or the Witch King.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:48:29 AM by legolas3333 »
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

November 17, 2009, 06:03:50 AM
Reply #1

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Re: Splash Archery - RB Kill
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:03:50 AM »
l3333, that Shadow is genius. :gp:
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 17, 2009, 07:14:06 AM
Reply #2

King89

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • your master.
    • nine-walkers 2.0 german
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:14:06 AM »
l3333, that Shadow is genius. :gp:

... if you ever get 1 Stronghold Of Minas Morgul with 3 token! on it into regroup phase it looks pretty good, yes.

November 17, 2009, 07:30:52 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 07:30:52 AM »
Elrond, Venerable Lord and Celeborn, Lord of the Galadhrim are basically wasted cards. I think on should be switched with Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath, and the other for Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien.

Remember that if you use Frodo, you cannot use Denethor!
-wtk

November 17, 2009, 07:43:18 AM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »
Also, the more I think about it, Fell Beast is probably more helpful than Ulaire Nelya. And Gwemegil would help you cycle as well. And Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad can be some nice healing.
-wtk

November 17, 2009, 07:53:09 AM
Reply #5

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 07:53:09 AM »
I think Stronghold of Minas Morgul is gravy in this case
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

November 17, 2009, 08:16:09 AM
Reply #6

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »
Things I would remove:
-2 Celeborn, Lord of the Galadhrim
-2 Elf-Song
-1 Elven Bow

Things I would add:
+1 Citadel of the Stars (use site 3 to grab it)
+1 Sam, Son of Hamfast
+2 Shadow Between
+1 Coat of Mail (for Isildur)

November 17, 2009, 08:21:28 AM
Reply #7

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »
Footman's Armor might work just as well as Coat of Mail. I like Sam, Son of Hamfast too because it is one card as opposed to the multiple copies of Elf-Song, allowing you to do other, fun things. I almost like the idea of Narsil, Aiglos (for Legolas), and Ring of Barahir, so you can use Elrond, Elven Lord for some free heals. Give him Vilya and you have double trouble!
-wtk

November 17, 2009, 09:23:47 AM
Reply #8

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
On the Shadow, I'm with Ket:  if you're going to be playing Lord of the Nazgul, you'll want Fell Beasts.

The idea behind Stronghold of Minas Morgul is nice, but I feel like it wouldn't end up being as useful as you'd like in the end.  By the time you get it charged up and ready to go, there should already be several wounds on the Ring-bearer (between the Witch-king, Enquea, Morcs, and Gollum).  It may look good on paper, in that it seems like you could just get 5 wounds out of one card, but if you're getting 5 wounds out of it, then that means your deck was already really struggling in hurting the Ring-bearer.  I'd think that most times you'd only get an exertion or two, if that.  Seems a bit like a waste of 4 card slots, especially when you don't yet have Fell Beasts.

Having 4 Gollum DaD with 4 Captured by the Ring also seems a bit like overkill, though it wouldn't be as much of a problem if you had Fell Beasts to get rid of your redundant cards in hand.

I would definitely consider getting an Out of Sight and Shot in there, as that's another Witch-king you can play.  Maybe an Evil-smelling Fens as well -- sure, you'll want to use Gollum's exertions for exerting the Ring-bearer most of the time, but if the RB is already exhausted, you might as well use those exertions for another WK.

Also, I'd considering swapping in just one Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul.  If you can get your opponent to 5 burdens via all the wounding, you could use Out of Sight and Shot and/or Evil-smelling Fens to pull machine-gun Enquea back multiple times.

I do like the idea behind exhausting the Ring-bearer in Regroup and then using Gollum to finish him off, but I think it's gonna be a tough trick to complete.  All they need is a strength-ten companion to overwhelm Gollum.  Although, I suppose they might just put him on a damage +1 companion, not realizing that you'll have Sweeter Meats, so that could work...

I'm also not sold on that Nelya as your third Nazgul.  He only works if you have initiative AND he survives to regroup, and even then, it's only a single exertion (unless they're playing a ton of Ring-bound guys).  I'd consider something like Toldea, Winged Sentry over Nelya.  Or, at the very least, switch so it's 2 of each, or something.

In the end, I think the biggest things are the lack of Fell Beasts and surplus of Stronghold of Minas Morgul.  Your Stronghold has to be in play and avoid condition-removal for at LEAST three sites before it can be used, it won't necessarily do anything (as you may already have the Ring-bearer exhausted by that point), and it's a unique card of which you have 4 copies.

But, hey, you say the deck is very successful, and if that's the case, then keep goin' with it!  Props for creativity, regardless.  =P

November 17, 2009, 10:46:06 AM
Reply #9

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:46:06 AM »
The idea behind Stronghold of Minas Morgul is nice, but I feel like it wouldn't end up being as useful as you'd like in the end.  By the time you get it charged up and ready to go, there should already be several wounds on the Ring-bearer (between the Witch-king, Enquea, Morcs, and Gollum).
Stronghold of Minas Morgul is at its best when you use it right after a sanctuary, right after the RB has healed.

November 18, 2009, 08:01:57 AM
Reply #10

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »
Stronghold of Minas Morgul is at its best when you use it right after a sanctuary, right after the RB has healed.

Yeah, but once again, you're looking at very slim circumstances in which that could happen.  It could ONLY happen at the regroup phase at site 7 or 8, and only IF you had the condition set up by then (keeping in mind that if the Free Peoples player discards it at site 6 or earlier, it won't be set up in time to be used).  And then, on top of all that, it might only cause 2 exertions, depending on what Ring-bearer/Ring they're using.  You might just get those 2 exertions from other means before you even have a chance to use Stronghold of Minas Morgul (Witch-king winning, playing a Morc, Gollum, etc.).

I dunno, there are just far too many things that have to fall into place in order for this card to work.  It seems like too much of a gamble to warrant the use of 4 deck slots.

November 18, 2009, 09:05:54 AM
Reply #11

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 09:05:54 AM »
Ok i changed a bit, added SoH to the general opinion, and added some fell beasts which incidentally enough were in the first draft of this deck but thrown out in favor of sweeter meats
the idea behind stronghold is if they have good healing or like cl0ck said sto get them right after sanctuary, several times i've gotten it off at site 4 or 5 and killed the RB next site
while all the gollums and captured by the ring seem redundant it's so I'm assured of getting gollum when i have like 2-3 sweeter meats.
another thing, the idea was never to finish the RB off in one turn, stronghold of minas morgul was supposed to combo with gollum in that way originally but it was to hard to pull both off in one turn so stronghold was more of a backup to the nazzies and brute

November 18, 2009, 09:11:18 AM
Reply #12

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:18 AM »
I still prefer His Terrible Servants to Sweeter Meats. It won't work on Gollum, but it will keep your Nazgul in tact.
-wtk

November 18, 2009, 11:48:43 AM
Reply #13

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:48:43 AM »
added a couple servants

October 02, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
Reply #14

itjunkie

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
id swap a few captured by the ring for  we must have it to prevent gollum from being overwhelmed during skirmish if u need him to survive until regroup