LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Knights \ Mounts From the South  (Read 7704 times)

December 28, 2011, 09:00:59 PM
Read 7704 times

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
Knights \ Mounts From the South
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
I was always wanting to play knights, but until recently they always gave me a headache trying to come up with a deck  for them. I tested this deck out and man does each side help the other nicely. Knights discard with catapult (and since I have numerous ways to recover my shadow stuff and can replay forts in regroup that is nice and helps get set up faster). Southron toss raider cards to get tokens and once again I have ways to get everything of importance back when its needed. Both sides help cycle and in return can set up from the discard pile. Anyway here is the decklist feel free to comment if anyone on here still reads these. Special thanks to Floydos (on GccG) for the knights and helping me understand them better :up:.

Bearer and Ring:
*The One Ring, Answer To All Riddles (4R1)
*Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms (RB)(9R+33)

Fellowship (35):
1x *Alcarin, Warrior of Lamedon (5R31) (start)
1x *Turgon, Man of Belfalas (5U42) (start)
1x *Aragorn, Captain of Gondor (7C81)
2x *Faramir, Defender of Osgiliath (8C34)
1x *Garrison of Gondor (8R36)
1x *Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth (8R37)
2x *Ithilien Trap (4U126)
2x *Garrison of Osgiliath (6C52)
1x *Stone Tower (5R39)
1x *Strong and Old (7R122)
4x Fifth Level (10U32)
4x Fourth Level (8C35)
3x Sixth Level (8U44)
4x Banner of Westernesse (6U51)
1x Catapult (8R32)
4x Gondor Bow (7U94)
2x Knight's Mount (8C40)

Shadow (35):
1x Field of the Fallen (10U43)
2x Line of Defense (8C63)
2x Rallying Call (10U47)
2x Seasoned Leader (10R48)
1x *Ithilien Wilderness (4R237)
3x *Army of Haradrim (5R70)
3x Mumak Chieftain (10R45)
3x Southron Invaders (6C81)
3x Southron Marcher (5C74)
3x Southron Runner (5C75)
2x Southron Wanderer (4C258)
2x Mumak (5C73)
3x Mumakil (8U64)
2x Ships of Great Draught (8R65)
3x War Mumak (5R78)

Sites:
(1R)Steps of Edoras (7U334)
(2R)West Road (7U337)
(3R)Base of Mindolluin (10U117)
(4R)Osgiliath Fallen (7U342)
(5R)Pelennor Flat (7U345)
(6R)Minas Tirith Sixth Circle (7U351)
(7R)Pelennor Grassland (7U354)
(8R)Cross Roads (7U356)
(9R)Dagorlad (7U360)

Let me know if you need an explaination on the deck, if so I will edit it later. Feel free to comment and make suggestions as always.

NK
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:44:30 AM by NappyKorn »
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

December 28, 2011, 09:22:38 PM
Reply #1

tanzhamster

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Re: Knights \ Mounts From the South
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
first of all: i like that shadow :-D

If you use Wrath of Harad only for the pump you could change it for Ithilien Wilderness

December 28, 2011, 11:42:02 PM
Reply #2

Panch

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • Honorable lord
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:42:02 PM »
I was there for this!!! Yes it does cycle very well. mayb a Ithilien Trap or Sapling of the white tree for protection against Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul, that is if Turgon is used up
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."- Eddard Stark

December 29, 2011, 05:39:21 AM
Reply #3

Floydos

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:39:21 AM »
Im glad to be helpful to you ;-)

December 29, 2011, 06:21:31 AM
Reply #4

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:21:31 AM »
Mind if I (mostly) steal this deck design?  I've also been trying to figure out how to make knights work.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

December 29, 2011, 07:12:18 AM
Reply #5

Floydos

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:12:18 AM »
Mind if I (mostly) steal this deck design?  I've also been trying to figure out how to make knights work.

man it is mostly my idea ... co "steal" that...no problem

December 29, 2011, 07:18:15 AM
Reply #6

Floydos

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:18:15 AM »
Maybe throw out *Citadel of the Stars  to exhange for Ithilien Trap against Enquea.

December 29, 2011, 09:47:09 AM
Reply #7

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
Made those Changes:

Switched Citadel of the Stars for Ithilien Trap for better Enquea Protection on the FP side and Switch  Wrath of Harad for Ithilien Wilderness (I liked this because being free I don't have to worry about choosing between paying to replay it for a pump or saving the twilight for the mumaks).

Thanks for the advice,

NK

December 29, 2011, 11:23:52 AM
Reply #8

Arcanite

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:23:52 AM »
Personally, I prefer Ingold to Turgon, and have Ingold as a bowman, and Alcarin/Gorn as the fighters.

December 29, 2011, 11:17:02 PM
Reply #9

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »
Personally, I prefer Ingold to Turgon, and have Ingold as a bowman, and Alcarin/Gorn as the fighters.

Dropped a Faramir for Ingold. Gonna see which I like better if I can't keep both. They both have good points. Turgon can help avoid annoying things in Manuever such as keeping LOM at bay (though I have Ithilien Trap too). adn ingold can be more useful in killing in skirmsih to trigger banner and such. Hopefully it is possible to keep both in there and bounce who I start depending on my opponent and their deck building styles :up:. I have also replaced Strong and Old with a copy of Saga of Elendil. Strong and old is only useful if grabbed early (which can be done at site 3 if I get to control the path, but since Im already vunerable to corruption I more than likely won't be bidding). Saga of Elendil of Turgon gives me the option of attaching a fortification to things like Enquea, ToTo and exhausting him in manuever to avoid burdens and possibly BNaP then finishing him off with Ingold before he can heal for a burden. Then with any luck I can win other fights with Banner bearers to reheal Turgon (or use Aragorn's text) to use him next time something potentially bad shows up.

Really impressed with the deck so far played 4 games it's 3-1 (only loss to moria swarm). That was because I didn't draw catapult to potential get rid of swarms, armories etc... and didn's draw a single Banner until site 7. Who knows maybe had the draws been a bit better maybe I woulda got lucky there as well. Shadow is just a killer, it one its first game by getting 2 mounted men to skirmish and another minion or 2 as well. The mounted guys killed their foes easily added pool etc... and got 2 mounted fierce beasts on the ring-bearer for round 2. As stated above this deck cycles very very well and has the ability to play nearly everything needed from the discard pile when it is needed.

Thanks again to everyone that commented and once again to Floydos for finally getting me to play Knights :gp: for you.

NK

January 02, 2012, 02:53:22 AM
Reply #10

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:53:22 AM »
Are the small minions big enough when mounted to do some serious damage? Or do you use them for swarming? What do you use all this twilight you add for - I see no Red Wrath, Fierce in Despair or other expensive but powerful events [Raider] culture has.

My "Strong Southrons" deck looks a bit different. I feel two best cards Southrons have are Desert Lord and Seasoned Leader and I built my deck around it. Here's the decklist:

3x Desert Lord
4x Mumak Chieftain
2x Southron Veterans
2x Southron Intruder
2x Troop of Haradrim
1x Southron Leader
1x Southron Marksmen
1x Southron Archer Legion

4x Mumak
2x Ships of Great Draught

4x Seasoned Leader
2x Field of the Fallen
1x Rallying Call

2x High Vantage
2x War Towers
1x Discovered
1x Red Wrath

This deck can deal some wounds before skirmish phase, especially Desert Lord targeting best fighters is great, as then weaker companions need to fight which makes it way easier to kill someone. I pair the deck with a Dauntless Hunter - Great Elf Warrior FP which is quite good at clogging opponent's hand and can double when needed (using Narrow Escape to clear the table). The deck wins definitely more than looses, usually via FP running to 9 or some risky double by opponent ending with 2-3 big minions doing a lot of damage.

January 02, 2012, 04:02:13 AM
Reply #11

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:02:13 AM »
you use the twilight you flood the pool with for mounts during the skirmish phase using Army of Haradrim (which can be replayed several times with Ship of Great Draught). Not to mention when you are looking down at 10+ twilight in the regroup phase you tend to not double as much. Basic idea is to surprise the opponent they see a strength 4 minion and feel safe to assign him to a lower strength companion then next thing you now he has a mount on him and you are using the threats you piled up + seasoned leaders to use and recycle Ithilien Wilderness. Southron Runner come into play for 1 twilight if you can spot about southron, he looks like a pitiful strength for minion. In the skirmish phase he gets assign to some low end companion thinking he is going to have it easy. Oh no i have maxed my threats at 5 and now he has a mumakil (thanks to all the ambush) no he is strength 20 (maybe more if you gave him the seasoned leaders and use Field of the fallen), He ends up being strength 23 (maybe damage if you have initiative) not bad for a minion that came into play for [1]. Oh wait he is fierce what other tricks might happen now I better assign him to some stronger just in case.

I have played this deck a few times and it has proven brutal. Not to mention it can cycle and replay nearly everything from the discard pile if needed. Need Mumaks (Chieftain or Army), need your conditions back (Seasoned Leader) Need a few extra minions (Southron Invaders) not to mention the tokens you get from the threats or discarding to cycle with Ships of Great Draught.

I have a deck built for Desert Lord\Seasoned Leader which in fun to play as well, but I really have fun playing this deck and it has proven its worth when its played :up:.

NK