LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: GEMP Merchant Changes Announced  (Read 11804 times)

December 04, 2013, 07:46:12 AM
Read 11804 times

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
GEMP Merchant Changes Announced
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »
It seems (looking at other digital CCGs), the only way to have a unabusable system, is to either have pay-to-play (e.g. MTGO) where people can trade cards, but have to pay real money for the cards in one way or another, or free-to-play with pay-to-play trade (e.g. Solforge) where the only cards you can trade with other players are the ones you paid for, or completely free-to-play (e.g. Hearthstone) where players do not interact with each other and prices are fixed based on rarity. I'd rather not require any kind of payment, hence the last system will be introduced in January.

- MarcinS

Additional Q/A Below.  The reset occurred on 1/12/2014.

Q: Will there be a collection reset?
A: Yes, there will be a reset.  Tengwar cards will persist through the reset, so if you had 10 tengwar cards before the reset, you will have 10 choices after the reset.

Q: Can we use Tengwar in my card leagues?
A: No. Tengwar's are not available to be used in "my Cards" leagues at this time. Cards in your "trophy" collection can only be used in casual games.

Q: What is the Trophy Collection?
A: Trophies are special cards that will persist through resets.  These could be cards won through league participation such as Tengwars or other cards that at some future date meet the criteria.

Q: Do current Tengwars go in this trophy collection?
A: Yes.  Tengwars will remain trophy cards, so if there is another reset, they should persist.

Q: How much will the cards cost in the Merchant?
A: The costs for cards sold by the merchant are:

R+ - 20G
R,P - 10G
U,S - 1G
C - 50S

These prices are for the regular version of cards (non-foil, non-tengwar).

Q: How much will packs and starters cost ?
A: Packs (except for Reflections) will cost 10G each.  Reflections packs are TBA.  All starters, with the exception of Battle of Helm's Deep (Set 5) and Ents of Fangorn (Set 6) will cost 25G each.  The starters from sets 5 and 6 will cost 55G each since they contain 3 fixed rares.

Q: Will the price of cards remain the same no matter what?
A: The prices of cards are fixed and are not intended to change.

Q: Can I buy Foils from the merchant?
A: Not directly, however the "Trade 4 + Gold for a foil" mechanism will still exist.

Q: Can I sell cards to the merchant?
A: Yes, with some exceptions.  The merchant will buy cards back from you at 1/4 the price the merchant will sell them to you for.  For example, if you have an Extra R+, you may sell it back to the merchant for 5G.  The merchant will buy a rare from you for 2G 50S etc.  This is meant to make it impossible to buy boosters or starters and sell cards back at a profit.  

Foils may be sold back to the merchant for 4x the Merchant purchase price of the card.  So a rare foil will sell back for 10G whereas a common foil will sell back for 50S.

Q: If I sell a common foil I have 50 silver that is the buy cost of the same non foil common, right?
A: Yes.  Normally the sell back price is ¼ the cost to purchase the card from the merchant.  So in essence the sell-back penalty for foils is eliminated.

Q: Will there be any more resets?
A: Resets may happen again, however the primary reason for this reset was to fix some of the merchant issues that were caused by the "Hunters Block Foil Lottery".

Q: Are the prices for the dailys going to remain at 10 gold to play in one?
A: Yes.  The price for the daily tournaments and any time tournaments has gone to 10G to encourage participation, but to somewhat limit the amount of prize support that is given out.  Each person who participates in the daily or any time tournament, whether they win a game or not will receive 1 pack as prize support to compensate them for their efforts or time.  Prizes have been increased to all participants as well.

Any-Time and Daily Tournament Changes

The cost to participate in each tournament is now 10G.  All participants will receive at least one pack for their 10G entry fee while winners of the tournaments and people who win games in the tournaments will get more prize support.

Prizes for Any Time tournaments:
3 wins - 3 boosters and a random promo
2 wins - 2 boosters and a random promo
1 win - 1 booster and a random promo
0 wins - 1 booster

Prizes for Daily Tournaments:
1st place - 10 boosters
2nd place - 8 boosters
3rd and 4th place - 5 boosters
5th to 8th place - 2 boosters
all remaining players - 1 booster

Q: Are the prices for the dailys going to remain at 10 gold to play in one?
A: Yes.  The price for the daily tournaments and any time tournaments has gone to 10G to encourage participation, but to somewhat limit the amount of prize support that is given out.  Each person who participates in the daily or any time tournament, whether they win a game or not will receive 1 pack as prize support to compensate them for their efforts or time.  Prizes have been increased to all participants as well.

If we see that there isn't much participation in the non-league tournaments, we may tweak prizes and entry fees to encourage more participation.  What we want to avoid is "My Cards = All Cards" very quickly.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 07:49:05 PM by Merrick_H »

December 04, 2013, 10:31:32 AM
Reply #1

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: GEMP Merchant Changes Announced
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »
New updates posted above.

December 04, 2013, 11:17:38 AM
Reply #2

UnPapayaCoconut

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
Hi

Wrote about it in the chat and didn't get an answer. But won't giving people tengwars of choice a huge edge in the "my cards-scene"? Like, some start from scratch, others start with 4x hides.. etc?

My suggestion is that they should only work in all cards, if that's is possible, maybe that's even the case. Some clarification on this would be nice.
Great update otherwise

December 04, 2013, 11:24:58 AM
Reply #3

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
There is some discussion about this and we will update the thread when a conclusion is reached.

December 04, 2013, 01:49:34 PM
Reply #4

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
I really like the proposed changes listed above, and would like to voice my full support for this decision.

One more question: Will this just reset collections, or also reset gold?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

December 04, 2013, 07:04:39 PM
Reply #5

Bruno

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
Tengwars were won with decks containing cards from the abused system.. this makes it hard to justify why some people will keep these cards after reset when some players will loose it all...

December 04, 2013, 07:33:42 PM
Reply #6

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
Thanks Merrik!
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

December 08, 2013, 06:17:12 AM
Reply #7

Downhunter

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 06:17:12 AM »
I think it's a good change. It will make "my cards" fun to play again  :)

December 08, 2013, 10:11:12 AM
Reply #8

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
I have 2 Foil Tengwars (I am that cool).  Will they stay as 4 or just 1?  Also would there be a way to "Parachute Payment" them. So for example you only get 1 a week until you've reached your old tally.  That way you won't be broken at the start.  Also, please could we have Promos valued as Uncommon?  They tend to be about as strong (Boro, DoMT was Uncommon in Black Rider).  But I think this reset sounds great!

December 08, 2013, 12:06:51 PM
Reply #9

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
Well you can use 12U Boromir in FotR Block with no problems ;) And while some P tend to be ignorable, most of them actually are quite good.

December 10, 2013, 01:32:54 AM
Reply #10

Cthulhu

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 01:32:54 AM »
Also would there be a way to "Parachute Payment" Tengwars. So for example you only get 1 a week until you've reached your old tally.  That way you won't be broken at the start.

I like Legion's idea. But if it's too hard (i.e. requires too much coding from MarcinS) to be done, Id much rather see Tengwars get  hit by reset too, than making them All Cards only thing, as someone suggested in Gemp's chat.
My current Gemp Tengwar count: 133 + 4

December 16, 2013, 09:00:51 AM
Reply #11

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »
Another issue that just occurred to me today:

What about cards going out of stock? Are you able to remove the out-of-stock feature on the merchant? Otherwise, that's going to continue to be a problem for the really popular cards... especially now that there will be little incentive to sell stuff back.
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

December 16, 2013, 09:05:13 AM
Reply #12

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »
Cards will never go out of stock.  The merchant will now start acting more like a printer than anything else.  You will be able to buy any card you want at any time provided you have the gold.

December 16, 2013, 12:02:15 PM
Reply #13

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
Remove that foiling option, too. Getting foils would be special again.

December 16, 2013, 12:09:34 PM
Reply #14

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
Getting foils will take a VERY long time now as there is no way to print money, but it will still be theoretically possible.

A rare foil will cost 44G (10Gx4 copies + 4G for the foil process)
A common foil will cost 6G.

So if gold "allowances" stay the same at 50G per week, it will take a VERY long time for someone to foil an entire deck.