LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Does the 2nd part of Too Great And Terrible prevent wounds or prevent an action?  (Read 6052 times)

February 09, 2015, 06:15:19 AM
Read 6052 times

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
There has recently been considerable debate over the way Too Great And Terrible currently works on gemp. You can view this discussion here:

Too Great and Terrible Rules Discussion

The card reads as follows:

Maneuver: Spot a Nazgul to wound Gandalf twice. The Free Peoples player may discard two [Gandalf] cards from hand to prevent this.

The disagreement is over what the second part of the game text does: "The Free Peoples player may discard two [Gandalf] cards from hand to prevent this." There are those who believe this text is preventing wounds, and thus wouldn't work at Steward's Tomb. Others believe this text is preventing the action as a whole, not specifically wounds. What do you think?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

February 09, 2015, 07:02:21 AM
Reply #1

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
I am against such a poll as you shouldnt anyone letting it enter, becasue it will just be whomever shouts the most will get an agreement, or just people voting for what they will like.

I can tell from my DGMA days that it prevents the action.

February 09, 2015, 07:24:36 AM
Reply #2

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
While I don't object to the poll, I am going to assert that it will not be binding, regardless of how the poll turns out.  How many people here really read, know and understand the rules and their subtle nuances to the extent required to make a decision on this?

February 09, 2015, 08:24:24 AM
Reply #3

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
I am against such a poll as you shouldnt anyone letting it enter, becasue it will just be whomever shouts the most will get an agreement, or just people voting for what they will like.

Please enlighten the community then. So far there is no actual proof from the rules or otherwise that it's not talking about wounds being prevented (whether in the context of the action being stopped or not). All we've seen so far is mostly conjecture, however logical.

February 09, 2015, 08:29:09 AM
Reply #4

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
While I don't object to the poll, I am going to assert that it will not be binding, regardless of how the poll turns out.  How many people here really read, know and understand the rules and their subtle nuances to the extent required to make a decision on this?

This is true too...I guess more the discussion to follow the pool when combined with each person taking a stand on one side or the other, would have more weight.

February 09, 2015, 09:00:11 AM
Reply #5

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman

Please enlighten the community then. So far there is no actual proof from the rules or otherwise that it's not talking about wounds being prevented (whether in the context of the action being stopped or not). All we've seen so far is mostly conjecture, however logical.

I dont have a rule example but a ruling that kept with me was about Too Great And Terrible, lady Redeemed and Stewards Tomb (ROTK). Apparently it cancels the effect, so it was ruled during a Premier Series.

February 09, 2015, 09:02:42 AM
Reply #6

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod

I dont have a rule example but a ruling that kept with me was about Too Great And Terrible, lady Redeemed and Stewards Tomb (ROTK). Apparently it cancels the effect, so it was ruled during a Premier Series.

Thanks!

While it was tough to discern from the rules, a lot of us knew this must have been ruled on from the "experts" before in competitive play. :)

While, personally, I still think there's more card examples, and examples in the rules that point towards it being actual prevention, a competitive ruling is probably the closest thing we can get to a definitive answer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:04:20 AM by dmaz »

February 09, 2015, 09:18:10 AM
Reply #7

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman

You mean Terrible as the Dawn?

February 09, 2015, 09:23:34 AM
Reply #8

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Yes

February 09, 2015, 09:24:04 AM
Reply #9

Carl333

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
  • "But it is not this day. This day we fight!"
I think I am not quite understanding what you mean.  Even if it were to discard 2  [Gandalf] cards in order to negate the card itself, it would still prevent the wounds.  The card would also be discarded because its an event, so it cant be re-used.  You would still have to discard the two cards so negating the  [Gandalf] card part would be useless.  I would say either way works.  It doesn't really matter.
"Do you ever wonder why we are here?  Maybe you're here because it is the only place you fit in.  Maybe you're here because you have nowhere else to go.  Maybe you're here because deep down, you want to be here.  It doesn't matter why you're here.  All that matters is that you are here!"

February 09, 2015, 09:53:21 AM
Reply #10

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
Tournament directors don't always make the right call.

February 09, 2015, 09:57:28 AM
Reply #11

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
Tournament directors don't always make the right call.

Yeah....like I said, I still feel like we have the right of it. It makes much more sense according to what the rules actually say, and it doesn't require a bunch of assumptions about the rules that aren't there.

Though I think I'm just going to have to accept conceding to the big-noses here, I'd still like to know why they think prevent means something else in this specific circumstance only...

Bib has already violated his own rule of "Cards do what they say. No more, no less." more than once ;)

February 09, 2015, 09:59:33 AM
Reply #12

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
I think I am not quite understanding what you mean.  Even if it were to discard 2  [Gandalf] cards in order to negate the card itself, it would still prevent the wounds.  The card would also be discarded because its an event, so it cant be re-used.  You would still have to discard the two cards so negating the  [Gandalf] card part would be useless.  I would say either way works.  It doesn't really matter.

Yeah that's also what we're saying here....you still prevented wounds. It's more of a stretch to try and argue that it somehow means that "this" means the card so you're not preventing, and since it doesn't say "response" it's not the same....it sounds more like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

February 09, 2015, 10:01:55 AM
Reply #13

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
If this was at a Decipher Premier Event (not a PSQ which is run by local tournament directors) it would have had Trevor McGreggor or Enrique Huerta or one of the Rules committee members there at the time, not just some local person.

There is a BIG difference between a PSQ and a PSE.  PSEs were run by Decipher staff, not by volunteers and had a lot more resources available to make high level decisions such as this type of interaction.

February 09, 2015, 10:22:46 AM
Reply #14

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook

Can you tell us more? What was the context? Was this ruling made during a game you were participating in, or did you just hear about it from somebody?

They said it "cancels the effect," but it can't be doing that, because it says "prevent' not "cancel." Did you mean that it prevents the effect? And if you did, that should mean that it's not preventing the action, it's only preventing the effect, which is the same thing as preventing wounds (the wounds are the effect).

What was the end result of the ruling? Was it possible to prevent the wounds from Terrible As The Dawn at Steward's Tomb?

Ugh, I dislike hearsay.