LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: King standart - Rohirim archery  (Read 4154 times)

February 29, 2016, 01:57:10 PM
Reply #1

ravensvt

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: King standart - Rohirim archery
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 01:57:10 PM »
I`m having trouble how to put a frodo support card in rohirim or elf deck.

February 29, 2016, 01:58:50 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »
You have 23 minions and 26 support cards (conditions and events). Not a great balance, particularly for multicultural wounding decks. There is just way too much going on with this deck.

I get that you want to use Caradhras Has Not Forgiven Us, Saruman's Power, and Greed, but could you have picked a worse minion that Elite Crossbowman? For the same cost as Lurtz (and [1] more than Desert Lord), you have a minion that will not likely win many skirmishes and does not get to choose where wounds and exertions are placed.

Between three copies of I'd Make You Squeak and four copies of Under the Watching Eye, you need 10 exertions from [Sauron] minions, but you only have the eight possible usable vitality that can be in play at any given point. If you are going all-in with 14 [Sauron] conditions (most of which need a spot/exertion), you should have more Sauron trackers. Plus you have Saruman's Power, which negates half of your Shadow cards!

Even with Orc Runner and They Are Coming, your Shadow won't cycle well enough. You are just trying to do too much with too few minions; those are the problems you ran into in both of our games.

I don't exactly understand the free people side of the deck either. Four copies of Legolas, Greenleaf? That seems over the top. Gandalf, Defender of the West needs three companions for his bonus, and you have three [Rohan] companions. Add Frodo and you are at five. With the Lorien Swordsman and Legolas, Greenleaf, you are at seven companions and in Shotgun Enquea territory. And you aren't exactly producing enough wounds to have the viable multicultural game.

There are some okay thoughts in there, but too many useless cards (Riding Armor, Careful Study, Elite Crossbowmen, Caradhras Has Not Forgiven Us). You need to commit to something and move forward from there.
-wtk

March 01, 2016, 08:23:46 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »
What can I say? I am generous.

Here are a few more thoughts on making a more streamlined Rohirrim archery deck in the King Standard format. I am going to downplay the multicultural aspect of the Elves and the Gandalf support, because I think that Rohan has some good options itself for condition and possession discarding.

With the idea of leaving some of that support behind, I'd also like to see about getting the deck down to the 33-36 card deck size. We'll see how we can do with that, while also having some:
- Condition Discarding
- Burden Removal
- Threat Removal
- Possession Protection/Discard?
- Healing

When building the deck, let's not start with the Ring-Bearer. We know it is going to be Frodo (though you could kill him instantly for Sam if you were so inclined). Don't know why you'd do that.

For starting companions in Rohan, there is kind of Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark and either Elite Rider or Eowyn, Lady of Rohan. Either choice makes for strong candidates, but in this deck I might lean towards Eowyn, Lady of Rohan. Two companions will allow you to use Simbelmyne for a quick set-up, and she is also valiant which will become important. We know that we will want a copy of Sam, Son of Hamfast (burden removal, check!) and a splash copy of Legolas, Greenleaf for bonus archery support. That covers 5 of 9 potential companions.

Eowyn is valiant, but Eomer is not. There are several good valiant [Rohan] companions in King Standard, including Gamling, Warrior of Rohan and Theoden, Leader of Spears, plus a few fringe options like Grimbold, Marshal of Rohan and Elfhelm, Marshal of Rohan. Let's go ahead and include all four for now, and we can edit as we see fit later.

With all of these companions, Greed or Shotgun Enquea will be devastating. Luckily, Rohan has access to one of the best pre-skirmish wounding cards in the entire game: Merry's Sword! With Merry's Sword, you can ensure many pre-skirmish exertions, leaving you a much lighter load for the archery and skirmish phases. Merry, Swordthain can bounce into your hand as a quick healing option, but you'll need to be able to retrieve Merry's Sword. With this, we rely on Ecglaf, Courageous Farmer. Now you know why we want valiant men, right?

Let's recap where we are right now.

Starting Fellowship:
Ring-Bearer
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark

Draw Deck So Far:
Merry, Swordthain x4
Theoden, Leader of Spears
Gamling, Warrior of Rohan
Grimbold, Marshal of Rohan
Elfhelm, Marshal of Rohan
Legolas, Greenleaf
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Ecglaf, Courageous Farmer

Merry's Sword x2

Simbelmyne x4

So we're already at 19 Free Peoples cards! That's potentially half of our deck, but it is important. We need more copies of Merry, who cannot be tutored with Simbelmyne, and Merry's Sword is an important target. Now, let's focus on finishing off minions and healing old Ecglaf.

Rohirrim Javelin and Rohirrim Bow are the two Ranged Weapons available to the Rohirrim. You had initially used Rohirrim Javelin, but I prefer the Bow for the ability to choose where the wound is placed. That said, that introduces the need for more healing. Either possession can be recycled into play by Merry, Swordthain, so think of them as "unlimited use." Choose which one you prefer, and roll with four of them.

Firefoot, Eomer's Spear are classic Rohirrim cards, and with all of these wounds and exhausted minions, a copy of We Left None Alive and an emergency Rohirrim Helm might really help. Otherwise, I wouldn't really even worry about carrying the ponies in the deck. Eowyn's Sword, Dernhelm's Blade can get a kill when necessary. A single copy of each of these cards should be fine. Arrow-Slits and Fortress Never Fallen are great for condition discarding. You are susceptible to Greed right now.

Healing will need to be a big part of this deck, particularly if you choose Rohirrim Bow. Leowyn is the best healing option for [Rohan], but there are also With Strength to Fight. I Am Here is an option, but most of these valiant men do not have the Theoden signet so you are effectively exerting Theoden to heal Eomer and Eowyn.

We are now at 33 cards, which is looking pretty good. Let's add a Bounder, Sting, Baggins Heirloom, and Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals for a little bonus Merry protection.

All that's left is choosing a Ring-Bearer!

Starting Fellowship:
Frodo, Courteous Halfling or Frodo, Wicked Masster!
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
Eomer, Third Marshal of Riddermark

Draw Deck:
Merry, Swordthain x4
Theoden, Leader of Spears
Gamling, Warrior of Rohan
Grimbold, Marshal of Rohan
Elfhelm, Marshal of Rohan
Legolas, Greenleaf
Sam, Son of Hamfast

Ecglaf, Courageous Farmer
Leowyn
Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals
Bounder

Merry's Sword x2
Firefoot
Eomer's Spear
Rohirrim Helm
Rohirrim Bow x4
Eowyn's Sword, Dernhelm's Blade
Sting, Baggins Heirloom

Arrow-Slits
Fortress Never Fallen x2
We Left None Alive
With Strength to Fight

Simbelmyne x4

_____________________________ ___________________

The deck might still be a little light on healing, but I think this looks a lot better than where you started. But that's what play testing is for! Give it a shot! See what happens!
-wtk