LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation deck  (Read 4696 times)

March 26, 2016, 06:47:55 PM
Read 4696 times

fenix

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation deck
« on: March 26, 2016, 06:47:55 PM »

March 26, 2016, 08:43:51 PM
Reply #1

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation deck
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 08:43:51 PM »
Anduril, FOTW > Speak Friend and Enter (the first copy you add for sure is better, sanctuaries are by far the most important to control, plus it's a #$&*@! of a weapon)
No Leowyn in a rohan deck is weird. Same for Symbelmine.
Any logical reason not to run the 4th SFTF? I think not... running extra copies of gandalf culture cards in a BOO deck is never problematic, you can just ditch them to his moving penalty.
Why Eomer's Spear over Rider's Spear? Not like Eomer is the only fighter, plus he's already dmg +1 and probably has a mount too. That's already 4 damage on a won skirmish with Rider's Spear, sure you want 5?
Keeping GOTM on the board might prove difficult without Haleth against way too many decks.
No ways to heal Gandalf might prove problematic, if you can't play Citadel to Gate because of it. Weland + Leowyn = easy heals for BOO.

I get that you want forests for you shadow, but I'm not sure if there is a point running subpar ones when you already have 4 is neccessary. Mount Doom sort of is. Old Forest Road is not. Realisticly, what does the 5th forest on the adventure path provides for you? When I play against forestguls Lost in the Woods don't tend to be very relevant... Stewards Tomb and Cavern Entrance are sites you almost always want in expanded too.

You run a lot of nazzy conditions, Otsea, Black Specter can make good use of them. Enables you to remove conditions if Buckland is blocked by Mount Doom.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 08:48:03 PM by Shelobplayer »

March 30, 2016, 06:27:09 PM
Reply #2

Xanth

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:27:09 PM »
Forgive me if I am missing something (I'm newly returning to the game after having stopped around Reflections), but why wouldn't Speak Friend and Enter be better than Anduril?

You can use it to replay Mithlond, exert Barliman Butterbur to get it back, then heal Butterbur with Mithlond, rinse & repeat.
Want to play LOTR with me?

March 30, 2016, 11:08:44 PM
Reply #3

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 11:08:44 PM »
Forgive me if I am missing something (I'm newly returning to the game after having stopped around Reflections), but why wouldn't Speak Friend and Enter be better than Anduril?

You can use it to replay Mithlond, exert Barliman Butterbur to get it back, then heal Butterbur with Mithlond, rinse & repeat.

Basically what I said was 2 speak friend + 1 anduril > 3 speak friend. And there are multiple reasons.
Obvious one is if you draw it early it nets you (at least) 2 activations. The other one is that with Bearer of Obligation, you bid 0 and tend not to double until you establish your board in a position where you can deal with the extra burdens, meaning that in the first 2 regions, you are often behind on the adventure path. In situations like that, you can abuse FOTW's ability more than once (replace the site they played to say Stewards Tomb in regroup and to Mithlond in fellowship before you move there).

Of course there is also a the fact that it's +2 str +1 vit +1 dmg weapon which is an artifact (way higher chance to stay on the board than a spear).

If you are more interested in a BoO/Rohan strategy, you can read explanations and discussion about it here: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,8990.0.html (read that you are a returning player in Draino's thread)

March 31, 2016, 05:24:31 AM
Reply #4

Xanth

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 05:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the explanation! I'll give that link a read.
Want to play LOTR with me?