LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: New player, new idea  (Read 3723 times)

May 14, 2016, 12:30:57 AM
Read 3723 times

Kepa

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
New player, new idea
« on: May 14, 2016, 12:30:57 AM »
Hi all! I've bought about 900 lotr tcg cards. Love tcgs and sharing this game with my other friends is main reason why i bought it. I clearly underestimated the next step after buying- understanding the game. Its not intuitive game, already invested over 9+ hours into google but all i found so far was:

youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azvdgl4LScs&lc=dPM9ywh0dCMfwnejCtF3bQ5hEeKNl01FMyvRlkAsfPU

starter guide from this link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6516469/Lotr-TCG/starter-fotr.pdf

and bits and pieces from this forum and boardgamegeek forum    
Beginner's Articles, READ this before asking any questions! by witchkingx5

I must say I'm a patient 30 year old man, but I'm still sitting on my new collection and I'm clueless how to make deck from all this and clueless how to play the game. Learning path of this game is quite dishearetening.  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Could you guys please make a video tutorial on the youtube that would explain basics of the game, which sounds clearly better then reading bunch of rules. To me, making wiki for this game is cool, but don't you think making a video tutorial should be n1 priority for easier aproach to new players?

May 14, 2016, 09:13:09 AM
Reply #1

Umbra

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Re: New player, new idea
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:13:09 AM »
Hello, also a new player here. A month ago I bought one deck (constructed by the previous owner), read the rules and figured that I'll never learn it without another deck.

Today I bought a second deck (and around 200 more or less random cards) and realized that the two decks are from different blocks (I think Tower and Hunters) and that the rules are not exactly the same for both blocks. (The first thing I noticed was no numbers on site cards which got me totally confused...) And then I found someone with the same problem on the same day and with the same idea  ;D

Now, I don't expect that I'll be able to play those two decks one against another, but I would still be very happy if I understood the game. The thing is, it's quite hard to learn it only by reading pages and pages of rulebooks, and a 10-20 minute tutorial/playthrough/rules explanation video would be much more helpful, and it wouldn't take much time to make it. And I'm sure that Kepa and me are not the only ones out there who would be very happy to see something like that.

In conclusion, I really hope that someone from the community will consider making that video because that's what this game needs and deserves. :)

May 16, 2016, 02:19:42 PM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
Why don't the two of you sign up to play online at www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr?

There are plenty of great players there who would be happy to walk you through a game or the deck building process.

Cheers,
-wtk

May 17, 2016, 07:35:00 AM
Reply #3

Umbra

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:35:00 AM »
Hi, thank you for your reply :)

I already signed up at gempukku and watched some games, but it's not actually the same... I didn't want to bother the people there, but I might ask for help if I don't figure it all out by myself until summer. :D

May 17, 2016, 10:15:28 AM
Reply #4

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »
I think the video is a good idea; unfortunately my cards are packed away and I won't be able to work on this for a few months.

9+ hours of reading rulebooks is definitely the wrong way to do it.  Ket's suggestion of getting on gemp is probably the easiest way, but as an alternative, I'd suggest you buy two starter decks from the same block and use the starter guide that comes with the decks to play a couple of games.  (Examples of the starter guides are posted here: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,345.msg76137.html#msg76137).  Don't be discouraged by the length of the guide; the pages are tiny in real life, to the point that I bet you could fit all the text on a single piece of letter paper.

If you're trying to read/understand all the comprehensive rulings, please stop.  Most of those will only apply in very specific situations, and you don't need them to enjoy the game.

In general, the earlier blocks will be easier to learn because fewer game mechanics had been introduced.  Later sets added site control, Unhasty Ents, initiative, threats, and the variable site path, etc.  This doesn't mean you can't start in block 4 or 5, but I'd suggest block 2 or so.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

May 18, 2016, 08:11:48 AM
Reply #5

Umbra

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »
Hi, that's great! I'm looking forward to your video, I'll probably figure most of it out by then, but I'm sure that there will be other people who will need something like that in future.

I'll definetely try with starter sets, I also have some print-to-play pdfs with Gandalf and Aragorn decks.

Anyway, thanks, hope to see that video :)

January 16, 2017, 01:19:47 PM
Reply #6

Henriksc

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:19:47 PM »
Hi. Is there a video coming? Would help a lot :)

January 27, 2017, 12:28:08 AM
Reply #7

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:28:08 AM »
Hi Kepa

I cannot make a video, but I can tell you how to play the game. It is not very complicated. Just ask again and I can teach you :-)