LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Shards of Narsil initiative / Treacherous Little Toad  (Read 4141 times)

July 17, 2016, 05:32:46 PM
Read 4141 times

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Shards of Narsil initiative / Treacherous Little Toad
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »
Been desperately trying to build something new these past days, and ended up converting an old movie block deck of mine to expanded. It works alright until it doesn't, but it's fairly fun :)

A Shards of Narsil combo deck.

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Son of Drogo
Ring: The One Ring, The Great Ring

Adventure deck:
Buckland Homestead
Isengard Ruined
Steward's Tomb
Doorway to Doom
Mithlond
Mere of Dead Faces
Dammed Gate-stream
Mount Doom
Green Dragon Inn

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Gandalf, Leader of Men
1x Smeagol, Slinker
1x Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer
1x Merry, Friend to Sam
1x Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
2x Sam, Resolute Halfling
1x Glamdring, Foe-hammer
3x Hobbit Sword
1x Sting, Baggins Heirloom
1x The Palantir of Orthanc, Recovered Seeing Stone
4x The Shards of Narsil
4x Saved From the Fire
4x Naked Waste
2x One Good Turn Deserves Another
4x Something Slimy
1x Follow Smeagol
1x Gladden Homestead
2x There's Another Way
2x A Light in His Mind
1x Consorting With Wizards
1x Escape
4x Fates Entwined
2x Scouring of the Shire
1x There and Back Again
4x Deagol, Fateful Finder

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Gollum, Her Sneak
1x Gollum, Old Villain
1x Gollum, Plotting Deceiver
1x Shelob, Her Ladyship
2x The Witch-king, Black Lord
2x Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul
1x Úlairë Lemenya, Eternally Threatening
2x Úlairë Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
1x Úlairë Nertëa, Dark Horseman
1x Web
2x A Dark Shape Sprang
4x Captured by the Ring
4x Horribly Strong
2x Sudden Strike
4x Deceit
4x Evil-smelling Fens
1x Incited
1x Not Alone
4x Not Easily Avoided
2x Not This Time!
1x Promise Keeping
1x They Stole It
4x Treacherous Little Toad
3x Saruman, Servant of Sauron

Tried to be really really tricky with both sides. Super very tricky.

The fellowship is based on a this combo:
Resolute Halfling + Son of Drogo heal and discard down to 3 cards, then you take a TSON stacked on another TSON to regain initiative, then you stack it again then rinse repeat. With that you can heal a lot of wounds and remove a lot of burdens each turn (the rule of 4 keeps it from going infinite... oh well). Setup is rather fast with Somethign Slimy and SFTF. The Deagols help get weapons (and the palantir, which is awesome), but are mainly here for Her Sneak.

Once all this is going, I try to win skirmishes with Merry + Fates Entwined, the OP one ring, Slinker and Baggins Heirloom.
Naked Wastes are trying to save me once Cavern Entrance hits me with a reality punch. Sometimes it works :)

The shadow is trying to put Treacherous Little Toad onto key companions, then kill them with Saruman, SOS + Isengard Ruined + some form of wounding. It is not great, but it's something I'm not bored of (yet).

Would not play it in league.

=D> =D>

Maybe I'll add some Dagger Strike to increase the chance of getting the combo going. Also maybe I'll change shadow. Losing so shamefully that I delete the deck is not out of the question either. Also may add more sites that trigger Not Alone, because that card is just awesome. If nothing else, building this deck was worth it for realizing how powerful Not Alone is.

Here are some replays where I did not lose: (played 5 games since I started working on it, won 3, so not as bad as I want it to sound, in the first 3 I had a different shadow, that's why I show these)
http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=B0r0m1r$m9gct7wqxq778tz7
http://www.gempukku.com/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=B0r0m1r$3gurpdaa4yehay4r

The deck wasn't in its current form. I didn't have Saruman in there, because... reasons.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:39:34 PM by Shelobplayer »

July 30, 2016, 06:23:22 PM
Reply #1

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Re: Shards of Narsil initiative / Treacherous Little Toad
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »
Played against this the other day :) I really like the deck, nice to see cards like Treacherous Little Toad seeing play. I'm not too sure if the focus is on Gollum or whether he's supporting the wounding idea, as you don't seem to have very many minions. If you're focusing on wounding, would other minion options like Black Gate Sentry, Orkish Skirmisher or Ugluk, Ugly Fellow be useful? Or maybe some of the other [gollum] events like Unseen Foe or You're a Liar and A Thief? You could add also Throne of the Dark Lord to lower resistance for Horribly Strong.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 31, 2016, 04:37:46 AM
Reply #2

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:37:46 AM »
I did start off with 2 copies of Unseen Foe, but they eventually got cut, because I never could get a good use out of them. Yalaat could be nice. Not a fan of Black Gate Sentry to be honest, it's too easy to disrupt him. Ugly Fellow too (if there is a Thorongil with a sword he is just a twilight sink for example). I'd rather go with Gothmog, Morgul Leader and some Shelobs if I wanted more minions (which I probably should). A Demon of Might should be there too... And Led Astray :D

On that note I'm 7-3 with the deck and 6 of the 7 wins are shadow kills. Works better than expected :)

July 31, 2016, 01:10:06 PM
Reply #3

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
The problem with the FP wins is that your fellowship can't run, as it lacks minion discard and damage bonuses. Thus, I'd add some copies of Narrow Escape (perhaps Horn of the Mark too if you could add pumps for Merry, but that changes the deck too much). Out of the High Airs can be nice too, but then you must have ways to keep Gandalf alive and healthy.

What to remove? I don't know, as I lack any experience in the Expanded format.

You might even try with Borne Far Away, to burn Smeagol and get the specific [Gollum] shadow cards you need, and then resurrect Smeagol.

Of course, all those are Movie block ideas ;). Hope this helps.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X