LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Movie Block Dunland  (Read 6656 times)

August 03, 2016, 04:02:35 AM
Read 6656 times

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Movie Block Dunland
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:02:35 AM »
With Dunland only getting one new card after the Two Towers Block was done, they strike me as one of the less developed cultures, which I feel is a shame since the original concept for them was quite well done. Consequently, I have tried to come up with some Movie Block cards for the culture. Technically they would have to be Reflections, as Dunland had little or no place in ROTK, but then that can't be helped as Decipher switched to [Men] from set 11 onwards.

[1] Berserk Rage [Dunland]
Condition
Vitality: +2
Bearer must be a [Dunland] Man.
Bearer is enduring and may be exerted only by Free Peoples cards. Discard this condition during the regroup phase.

[2] • Bitter Vengeance [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
Each time a [Dunland] minion wins a skirmish, add a threat.
Each [Dunland] minion is strength + 1 for each threat you can spot
Each companion gains: "Regroup: Exert this companion to remove a threat".

[5] Dunlending Axe-thrower [Dunland]
Minion • Man
Strength: 11
Vitality: 1
Site Number: 3
Archer.
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, you may stack it on a site you control. While this minion is stacked on a site you control, the minion archery total is +1. Shadow: If stacked on a site you control, play this minion. Its twilight cost is -2.
?

[2] Burned Village [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 2 [Dunland] Men.
While you can spot a [Dunland] Man or 6 companions, characters cannot heal.

[1] Fury [Dunland]
Event • Skirmish
If you have initiative, make a [Dunland] minion Damage + 1.

Card Explanations:

Berserk Rage
The Dunlendings always seemed to have a kind of rage/hatred theme - it was what gave them such high strengths, while their lack of vitality represented their poor state of equipment. It strikes me that this kind of fury might allow them to ignore grevious wounds in the heat of battle, realising their folly only later on when the fighting is finished.

Bitter Vengeance
Bitter Vengeance represents my idea of threat control for [Dunland]. Most of their bonuses are keyed off winning skirmishes, and this card is no exception. It works a bit like Orc Banner, with minions getting stronger for each win, but keyed in to the threat mechanic. To help curve its power, the Free Peoples player can remove the threats later on, at the cost of taking more damage for his fellowship.

Dunlending Axe-thrower
Dunlending Looter and Hillman Rabble are rarely used, so I thought a minion with a bonus for being stacked on a site might help with incentive.

Burned Village
The [Dunland] culture has little or no large Fellowship hate, and I always liked the theme behind the later released Destroyed Homestead. Spotting a [Dunland] Man will prevent things like Elrond, HtGG or Banner of Westernesse, while larger Fellowships cannot heal at Sanctuaries, rather like Steward's Tomb in Expanded format.

Fury
Mostly thinking of Wild Men of the Hills and similar minions with this card.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

August 03, 2016, 11:19:15 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Movie Block Dunland
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »
[1] Berserk Rage [Dunland]
Condition
Vitality: +2
Bearer must be a [Dunland] Man.
Bearer is enduring and may be exerted only by Free Peoples cards. Discard this condition during the regroup phase.
How many [Dunland] cards have "exert to" text? Just Wulf, as far as I remember. Either way, limited use and should probably cost more than [1].

[2] • Bitter Vengeance [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
Each time a [Dunland] minion wins a skirmish, add a threat.
Each [Dunland] minion is strength + 1 for each threat you can spot.
Each companion gains: "Regroup: Exert this companion to remove a threat".
It is a mixture of Orc Banner and Fires Raged Unchecked. I am not a huge fan of shadow cards that give game text to free peoples cards, particularly since this strategy could be abused with the Return of the King site path.

[5] Dunlending Axe-thrower [Dunland]
Minion • Man
Strength: 11
Vitality: 1
Site Number: 3
Archer.
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, you may stack it on a site you control. While this minion is stacked on a site you control, the minion archery total is +1. Shadow: If stacked on a site you control, play this minion. Its twilight cost is -2.
Doesn't really go with the flavor of the culture, but I can see where you get the idea. I'd almost remove the fact that he's an archer and maybe go with this:
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, stack him on a site you control.
Archery: If this minion is stacked on a site you control, spot a [Dunland] character and discard him to add one to the minion archery total.

[2] Burned Village [Dunland]
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 2 [Dunland] Men.
While you can spot a [Dunland] Man or 6 companions, characters cannot heal.
Brutal card. Does it specifically have to be a man, or can we invite Saruman, Rabble-Rouser to the party? Like the card, maybe needs to be unique.

[1] Fury [Dunland]
Event • Skirmish
If you have initiative, make a [Dunland] minion Damage + 1.
Doesn't really add too much to the culture and likely wouldn't make it into many decks.

Dunland did not get a lot of extra love in King Block and Reflections, but the culture largely did not need it. They had a pretty competent set-up in Towers Block, and it is really only things like initiative and threats that don't do much for the culture.

But Dunland does not shrivel up in Movie format; in fact, there are still several quite powerful strategies. I think creating cards that make Dunland a supporting Shadow culture might be better than trying to revamp the culture entirely. Remember, their big fight in the books was actually at the Hornburg alongside the Uruk-Hai.
-wtk
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:20:49 AM by ket_the_jet »

August 04, 2016, 03:07:38 AM
Reply #2

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:07:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback :)

How many [Dunland] cards have "exert to" text? Just Wulf, as far as I remember. Either way, limited use and should probably cost more than [1].
My big concern was the Hill Chief. But I guess Wulf would also be bad since he could control 3 sites off one victory. I wanted the card to be more of an alternative to Hides, rather than get used like Pavise for exert abuse. Maybe 2 twilight cost would be better.

It is a mixture of Orc Banner and Fires Raged Unchecked. I am not a huge fan of shadow cards that give game text to free peoples cards, particularly since this strategy could be abused with the Return of the King site path.
Good point. Maybe replace the last line with "Each time a [Dunland] minion loses a skirmish, remove a threat"? That gives it a double-bladed aspect without adding Free Peoples abilities.

Doesn't really go with the flavor of the culture, but I can see where you get the idea. I'd almost remove the fact that he's an archer and maybe go with this:
Each time this minion wins a skirmish, stack him on a site you control.
Archery: If this minion is stacked on a site you control, spot a [Dunland] character and discard him to add one to the minion archery total.
I like this :up:

Brutal card. Does it specifically have to be a man, or can we invite Saruman, Rabble-Rouser to the party? Like the card, maybe needs to be unique.
Sure, Saruman was the instigator after all, so I guess that works. Its effect doesn't stack, but I guess the uniqueness would restrict it a bit more. Sounds good.

Doesn't really add too much to the culture and likely wouldn't make it into many decks.
Yeah I'm not too sure how to make that one better. Might have to go back to the drawing board.

Dunland did not get a lot of extra love in King Block and Reflections, but the culture largely did not need it. They had a pretty competent set-up in Towers Block, and it is really only things like initiative and threats that don't do much for the culture.
But Dunland does not shrivel up in Movie format; in fact, there are still several quite powerful strategies. I think creating cards that make Dunland a supporting Shadow culture might be better than trying to revamp the culture entirely. Remember, their big fight in the books was actually at the Hornburg alongside the Uruk-Hai.
They were very well set up in towers, that's true. But although I know about 5 different [Dunland] strategies for Towers Standard (And maybe King Standard? Haven't played that format) I only really see Freca site control in Movie.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

August 04, 2016, 06:33:55 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:33:55 AM »
They were very well set up in towers, that's true. But although I know about 5 different [Dunland] strategies for Towers Standard (And maybe King Standard? Haven't played that format) I only really see Freca site control in Movie.
There is a fair amount of the discard Dunland minions being played with Desperate Defense of the Ring and the initiative [Sauron] orcs from Return of the King. And Freca is obviously the cultural game changer, as he takes control of a site just for showing up.

I'd encourage you to look into the King Standard aspect (basically, pre-Freca) to see how the minions interact in the climate of the game. Phallen runs the discard Dunland minions and utilizes Let Her Deal With Them to make Wild Men of the Hills potentially brutal. Fun stuff.
-wtk

August 05, 2016, 09:59:24 AM
Reply #4

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »
Interesting cards! Dunlendings disappear from the story after the Battle of Hornburg, but if I recall right some who weren't present in that battle appear at the forced industrialization (Sack) of the Shire. Then you might try to create some ruffians and ruffian-tricks for them...

- Berserker Rage is like Seasoned Leader, except that southrons can still exert by themselves. I think it's balanced.

- Fury might work well with the discard [Dunland] Men. I think it should also make that [Dunland] Man fierce, and both effects last until regroup. If the FP player keeps discarding those [Dunland] guys, you'll end with initiative but also with much fewer minions on the board, so those who remain must batter on the good guys once for themselves and once for those who aren't anymore present:

"If you have initiative, make a [Dunland] Man fierce and damage +1 until the regroup phase." But such an event must be more expensive, [2] should be fine.

May I add another card idea? I'm a bit obsessed with the Dwarves, and Dunland men at some point coincide with the Longbeards' story. The exiled Longbeards under Thrór's leadership (and later Thráin's) worked as blacksmiths in Dunland...

The famous Black Arrow was made by Thrór himself. What other marvels might those gifted hands have created when hunger and need were pressing his folk?

[3] Ancient Dwarf-made Sword [Dunland]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be a [Dunland] minion.
Bearer is damage +1 and fierce, and can only take wounds during skirmishes.
Each armor or helm borne by a character skirmishing bearer loses its game text.
"'Will you come with me back to the anvil? Or will you beg your bread at proud doors?'"

Expensive but worthy. The high twilight cost is there to reflect the scarceness of these ancient items. And the "broad-bladed sword" skill is obviously there to protect the twilight invested.

Defensive tools can't stop this fine sword's wounding and overwhelming potential (except only for shields like Shield of Boromir, which can still deflect its strength bonus). Note that can be borne by any "[Dunland] minion", including Rabble-rouser (+ Saruman's Staff to make him a fighter). Saruman surely won't lay his refined fingers on a rough War Club or Iron Axe, but an elegant sword made by a skilled Longbeard will fit his fussy taste much better. With that in mind, [Dunland] Saruman'd be a 3-card combo with str 13, dmg+2 fierce, unstoppable by Armor / Gimli's Helm...

Costs [3] more and can't discard FP possessions, but with such text it should be a worthy competitor to War Club.

Hmmm, thinking about Saruman, this idea just jumped into my (already troubled) mind...

[2] Anxious for the Ring [Isengard]
Condition • Support Area
Shadow cards treat Saruman as a Man minion.
Maneuver: Make the first sentence of Saruman's game text not apply until the regroup phase.
"'There is much that he does not know. He was so eager to lay his hands on his prey that he could not wait at home...'"

An [Isengard] card, yes, but still useful for [Dunland]. Rabble-rouser is now a [Dunland] Man (besides Wizard) :-k... that means he can now bear War Club / Iron Axe, can use [Dunland] events and conditions, and can even pump himself with his own text! Of course, the maneuver skill is there to allow him to fight, otherwise he'd pump himself for nothing.

He can also be considered an [Isengard] Man, for the matter of cards like Unferth, Twisted Tales or Desertion. That gives access to those cards to any Shadow supported by an [Isengard] Saruman (Uruks, Warg-riders...). And makes Isen Men much stronger with Sharkey himself fighting by their side (and without having to rely on the Staff)!

Only Shadow cards treat him as a Man. Therefore, he's not vulnerable to Ranger's Bow (if not roaming).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:39:49 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

August 05, 2016, 01:28:24 PM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
"'Will you come with me back to the anvil? Or will you beg your bread at proud doors?'"
I like the Broad-Bladed Sword aspect of it and even don't mind the damage bonus aspect, but I think fierce is overkill. Additionally, I like the idea of the Dunland attack affecting the character's weapons and armor, but I like this sort of flavor a little better.
Skirmish: Discard this possession to discard an armor or helm possession borne by a character bearer is skirmishing.

It goes without saying that the Dunlending peoples do not have access to the fanciest weapons or the newest trends in warfare. But if you swing a big ol' sword or axe and it breaks, odds are still high that you broke the armor too, right?

Hmmm, thinking about Saruman, this idea just jumped into my (already troubled) mind...

Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Make the first sentence of Saruman's game text not apply until the regroup phase.
"'There is much that he does not know. He was so eager to lay his hands on his prey that he could not wait at home...'"
I'd be careful with saying treat as this is not a word that--as far as I know--is printed on any other card in the game. Creating a new concept requires very careful wording. I don't love the idea of making Saruman a man in the same way that I wouldn't be a fan of a card that allowed Gandalf to pick up a Gondorian Sword or Heavy Chain. The characters are very specifically Maia.

Part of the cost of Saruman, Rabble Rouser is that he cannot fight without Saruman's Staff, Wizard's Device. In theory, you need another minion in play to even worry about him. The idea of a Saruman who can be pumped with War Cry of Dunland or Burn Every Village and retrieved with Constantly Threatening seems dangerous [read: broken].

I think the card could also present problems with Saruman, Servant of the Eye.

Love dream cards, but why not flesh out strategies that exist (but are maybe underutilized) like the "play during skirmish" guys or the site-stackers?
-wtk

August 06, 2016, 05:58:54 AM
Reply #6

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 05:58:54 AM »
"If you have initiative, make a [Dunland] Man fierce and damage +1 until the regroup phase." But such an event must be more expensive, [2] should be fine.
This is much better than my version, makes the card viable while keeping the initiative flavour ;D

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
A very cool idea, but I agree with Ket that the weapon does too much, even for 3 twilight. I might suggest that the armour negation occurs only when borne by a unique minion? That might reflect that characters with more skill/higher rank (Wulf, Saruman, Hill Chief) can wield the weapon more effectively and are more deserving of it. Also, since they are rare and highly valued, could the weapon itself be unique too?

Condition • Support Area
I like this card on a mechanical level, but it does seem like it might open up possible abuse. It reminds me of Saruman, Coldly Still, who can wield most [Men] possessions thanks to the looser wording of the later sets. Part of me dislikes the fact that Saruman can bear a Pavise (Although I still play with it ;)), and you yourself said that Saruman would not stoop so low as to use an Iron Axe. Similarly, the fact that he can pump himself is reminiscent of Agent of the Dark Lord, and makes him incredibly powerful. Maybe you could add additional cost to the card, like:
"Shadow: Exert Saruman and remove [1] to make shadow cards treat him as a Man minion until the regroup phase."

I'm not sure about the treat wording, I feel like I have seen that before, but don't recall where.

March 13, 2017, 08:43:42 PM
Reply #7

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »
Your responses to my additions were posted long time ago. I've been busy with the Hobbit Game in these months, but now I got some time and lucidity to answer... (I miss those DC creating times with you guys)

- Ancient Dwarf-made Sword: You're totally right, Ket. "Fierce" was a last moment addition. A bad one. I remove it.

Regarding the "old things break easily" part, Théoden broke through the Southron leader's armor and Black Serpent banner with a very old sword! Old things aren't weaker in Tolkien's world, but quite the opposite: Narsil and Durin's Axe (dwarf-made); the Barrow Blades, and the walls of Hornburg, Isengard and Minas Tirith (Numenórean); Glamdring (elven)... all are good examples. The Black Arrow was made by Thrór while King under the Mountain... that's at least 171 years before killing Smaug. It was well when Bard recovered it, and then could have been exhibited later in the throne room of Dale, or used in war.

You're right too, my fellow Dictionary. This fancy and expensive sword shouldn't all give those benefits so easily to a mere Elder or Looter. Only to unique minions then. But that leaves only 5 possible bearers with that full effect: Wulf, Freca, Hill Chief, Saruman (with Staff, or Anxious), and the mighty but expensive Hillman Horde. There might be more unique barefoot guys to wield this relic, if you want to create new headmen for Dunland in Movie block! ;)

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +3
Bearer must be a [Dunland] Man (or Saruman).
If bearer is a unique minion, each armor or helm borne by a character skirmishing bearer loses its game text.
"'Will you come with me back to the anvil?'"

- Anxious for the Ring: This one needs changes. The idea was to have a support area card to allow Saruman to fight. In my experience, the 2-card combo with Saruman's Staff is expensive and has a hard time doing a good effect (accursed Third Marshal of Riddermark!).

The "Saruman is a Man" part was there to allow him to get more interaction. There's very few cards in Movie block that interact with him, so making him a "Man minion" would increase those combos. As Dictionary says, Rabble-rouser would act just like Agent of the Dark Lord. Powerful, yes, but not close to Corsairs. The Staff would still be useful, to make him fierce and give him strength and damage.

But there's something wrong with him using a War Club or being replayed by Constantly Threatening. Too powerful, and too inaccurate with the lore. Perhaps should be treated as a Man only by events and minions. Hides wouldn't save him, and Over the Isen wouldn't assign him. Events aren't so worrisome 'cause don't remain in play, and being treated as an equal by the minions like Unferth that fight by his side would get good synergies. But now won't stoop so low as to get his hands dirty with a rusty Iron Axe.

Now, the condition costs [2] and is vulnerable to discarding (keeping it in play interferes with Saruman's Power!), so I wouldn't add a cost to make him be "treated as a Man." Rohan Stable Master is the card you tried to recall ("bearer is considered to be mounted"). The concept is preexistent, but the wording differs; I'll use that wording then.

Condition • Support Area
Shadow events and minions consider Saruman a Man minion.

So he can fight if he wishes. But is still str 8, and can then take arrows or be exerted by [Rohan] mounts. I think it's fair now. Yes, SotE can be powerful, but with that mediocre strength and no keywords, is more in the fashion of the Mouth of Sauron LoBD: block the main FP Tank from facing your Balrog or Lurtz.

I don't love the idea of making Saruman a man in the same way that I wouldn't be a fan of a card that allowed Gandalf to pick up a Gondorian Sword or Heavy Chain. The characters are very specifically Maia.
But Wizards were Maia in the shape of Men. Stronger, more resistent, but subject to pain, hunger, tiredness, and burdens of the spirit. Even aging, though slowly. Gandalf carried an Elven sword and Ring, mounted a horse of Men, and smoked the herbs of Hobbits. In the RotK film, he even uses the spear of a Knight.

Still, now Saruman won't bear tools for [Dunland] Men.

Love dream cards, but why not flesh out strategies that exist (but are maybe underutilized) like the "play during skirmish" guys or the site-stackers?
-wtk
Agree, it'd be good to develop more of those "play during skirmish" guys. A skirmish event would be cool. Perhaps we might alter the mechanic and create some guys that are played by themselves during skirmishes:

[1] Rallied by Destruction [Dunland]
Event • Skirmish
Play a [Dunland] Man at twilight cost -2 to add a threat (or 2 threats if you have initiative). That Man is fierce and damage +1 until the regroup phase.

Also adds threats. A good pretext to play a fierce, damage +1 minion.

[2] Dunlending Opportunist [Dunland]
Minion • Man
Strength 6  Vitality 1  Site 3
Fierce.
During fierce skirmishes, this minion is strength +4.
You may spot a [Dunland] minion to play this minion anytime you could play a skirmish event.

A mere prototype. Acts like Long Spear and Uruk Plains Runner. Doesn't need the event or Dunlending Arsonist to be played at skirmishes, although with them is costless and also damage +1.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:42:10 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

March 17, 2017, 06:36:45 PM
Reply #8

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 06:36:45 PM »
Good to see you on this thread again :)

I have to confess I had not considered Hillman Horde + Ancient Dwarf-made Sword, which makes little sense, but then, neither does giving Sharku's Warg to a Foul Horde.

The Ancient Dwarf-made Sword synergises very well with [Dunland] beatdown (Dunlending Robber, Dunlending Madman, Living Off Rock, War Cry of Dunland). To that end, I'm thinking a minion like this would be appropriate:

[6] • Dunlending War Chief [Dunland]
Minion • Man
Strength 13  Vitality 1  Site 3
Each time a [Dunland] Man wins a skirmish, you may make him strength +2 and fierce until the regroup phase.

Dunlendings have many ways of becoming fierce, which fits very well with the Ancient Dwarf-made Sword. This minion augments that strategy and fits with Anxious for the Ring as he can then boost Rabble-Rouser too. He is also unique, so he benefits from the additional bonuses of using the sword. For 6 Twilight, he is physically less powerful than Hillman Horde, but with a potent ability.

I like your arguments for Anxious for the Ring, as it makes Saruman much more versatile. Both this and Ancient Dwarf-made Sword provide strong bonuses for Saruman but since this is movie block the companions will probably be fine. Plus, Ancient Dwarf-made Sword is expensive and hard to draw in conjunction with Saruman and/or Staff.

SotE + Staff is already deadly, but the new cards don't add much to this as SotE's extra damage from the Ancient Dwarf-made Sword is generally superfluous (I've tried this with Throne of Isengard in Expanded). Fierce & Damage + 1 (Or Damage + 2 on its own) seems to be the exact combination that makes him so nasty.

Unrelated to Movie, but I like that Anxious for the Ring allows Pre-Shadows versions of Saruman (SotE specifically) to use Fallen Istar's Stave effectively.

New cards look good. Rallied by Destruction + Wild Men of the Hills would likely be one of the best plays here. Might be too strong, but again this is the format with Cirdan in it. Initiative tricks are good for Dunland, as they have those optional discard minions (Dunlending Rampager, Dunlending Renegade, Wild Men of the Hills).

Dunlending Opportunist is cool :)