LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Cube Drafting Lotr CCG for 4-6 people  (Read 2717 times)

September 05, 2016, 01:53:15 AM
Read 2717 times

bluebird503

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Cube Drafting Lotr CCG for 4-6 people
« on: September 05, 2016, 01:53:15 AM »
Hello all,

(TLDR: I'm looking for an affordable cube list for 4-6 people(possible??) and a place to acquire the cards for it ).

I stumbled across this game a long time ago in the Las Vegas area with my brother.  But I'm not 100% sure when it was , maybe somewhere around 2005. We played in 2-3 events and I bought a large card lot from someone and we really had a lot of fun with it. Sadly time passed, the game never really had events so I continued playing MTG and other ccgs etc. and when I moved out of my parents house in 2008 it was sort of a bad time for the family and well.. all of my ccg/tcg cards from the various games I had got left behind/lost, not really sure. :(

I love ccg/tcg/lcgs and I play competitively for several and still travel for them all the time. I'd love to break out a Lord of the Rings cube once every so often at say gencon just for fun and show people this awesome game. I especially would love to do this when I go back and visit my brother and maybe surprise him with it during the holidays ;D.

Cost is a factor as I wouldn't want to spend an outrageous amount on it, if cards are too hard to find nowadays I'd probably have to pass on this. Considering the age of the game I wouldn't be surprised but I'm not really sure. I tried looking around at card lot prices on ebay and couldn't really figure it out. I don't need to play the most overpowered/competitive cards from the game(I really don't know what they are in the first place). Playing cool/important characters would be important though.. I'd hate to build a cube and not have various nazgul in it for instance.

I don't really know where to start with A. figuring out what cards I would want in the cube, what kind of theme I would want. I would especially want to maintain the core part of the gameplay(moving along the locations, asymmetrical gameplay) and I would want to include at least a copy of all of the main characters from the LotR trilogy and wouldn't mind including stuff from the Hobbit as well.  I guess my main concern is designing something from scratch myself for it to be completely broken and then having to tweak with little knowledge of the game. The fact there are only a few cube posts on here that I found using the search function and that they are all several years old worries me. I would be building for 4-6 people(getting 6-8 is probably a reach.. I can get 4 at least once in awhile though)

If anyone can help me out let me know!! Thanks!

June 21, 2018, 08:10:46 PM
Reply #1

Nadinez

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Re: Cube Drafting Lotr CCG for 4-6 people
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »
Where do you put these important pieces of information?

June 23, 2018, 04:05:28 AM
Reply #2

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Cube Drafting Lotr CCG for 4-6 people
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 04:05:28 AM »
If price is an issue, I'd suggest to contruct a movie block cube pool (sets 1-10) or probably multipath. if you stick with sets 1-10 you can probably find some good deals on lots on ebay, there are very few pricy cards left from the older sets.

I played a lot of MTG cube drafts back in the day, but I suppose with LOTR it's a lot more complicated. Drafting shadow and free people side separately is probably a good idea, mabye 1 pack of freeps 1 pack of shadow then repeat. Not sure if drafting the adventure deck is a good idea at all, probably a good idea to get a seperate set of sites for each player involved. Also thanks to the nature of the game (cards are drawn mainly via reconciliation, game time is longer unless if a shadow kill happens), a 40 card deck like in MTG won't be enough, so you may want to construct your packs accordignly. 30/30 decks are mandatory at the very least I'd say, but certain cultures cycle way faster than others, so players should have the option to go up to 35/35 or so, maybe even higher, without playing junk (it's cube after all).

Then there is the issue of some cultures having less cards. Like Moria barely got anything printed for it after the FOTR sets, Raiders and Rohan only have 2 blocks as well and Dunland only 1 block too. Of course a multicultural shadow side is a possibility, but way less effective, than say multicolor in MTG, so consider that when constructing the cube. The most popular shadow culture will almost surely be Mordor and Ringwraiths.

I'd be super interested in seeing wich cards are first pick in such a cube draft :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:07:29 AM by Shelobplayer »