LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings "Smash-Up"  (Read 2442 times)

November 05, 2016, 04:52:58 PM
Read 2442 times

Kyle_Green

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Lord of the Rings "Smash-Up"
« on: November 05, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
So I'm a fan of the game "Smash-Up" by AEG in which two random factions are assigned to you, and you shuffle them together to play against your opponent (who has done the same).  Because LotR is a game in which two factions (Freeps and Shadow) are shuffled together, I started to wonder if the same thing could be created for this game.

I currently have a complete "Movie Block" collection.  I was envisioning creating 20 forty-card Free Peoples decks and 20 forty-card Shadow decks.  Then you and your opponent would roll a d20 twice to pick which two decks you were going to Smash together to make a full deck.

There are a couple of rules I had in mind:

1) Decks should be forty cards.
2) Each deck should be as thematic as possible (elven archery, goblin archery, dwarves with rings, rider wraiths, etc).
3) Each deck should be competitive which each other deck.  Aim for tier 2-3 quality which values theme a little more than brutal strength (ie include one of each wringwraith , even if a more competitive list wouldn't include each unique wraith).
4) Players can trim cards down to 60 if they want to (after finding out which two factions they have).
5) There will be a bunch of site path combinations that will be pre-created for players to chose from (maybe two paths for each set?).
6) Since there are only 4 of each card in a collection, we would have to keep that in mind when posting lists.  If a different deck already used four of a card, then that card is off limits.  Or we'd have to change it to 2 copies of the card in each deck.
7) The rings are not part of the deck construction, and can be chosen after the smashing of the two decks.
8) Since there are four copies of every ring, Lord of the Rings Smash-Up can accommodate the multiplier rules of the LotR TCG (up to four players).

My hope is that with these forty decks, there will be a ton of replayability as you'll likely never get the same combination twice!

What are your guy's thoughts on this?  Get those creative juices flowing and start posting some list ideas!

Each list you post needs:

*A Deck Name
*A Ring-Bearer

40 additional cards (which include the starting fellowship-put an asterisk next to their names).  Thanks for the help.  I've relatively little knowledge of the game (I'm learning!).  I acquired my collection by trading off extras of a different game!