LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Second Edition Update  (Read 2978 times)

November 21, 2016, 08:48:45 AM
Read 2978 times

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
Second Edition Update
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:48:45 AM »
I've almost completed the image work on the rest of the cards. There were a few minor template changes from last time, and based on feedback from GEMP games I watched when 2E was active, I've made some changes to some of the cards for balance purposes. I'd like to put a design team together, though. I'm only one person and there are others who no doubt have great ideas I could never think up. If you're interested in being a 2E designer, shoot me a private message.

I've landed on nine total cultures for the Premiere release. In my opinion, it's better up front to focus on fewer cultures rather than try to shoehorn everything into a single release. With that in mind, as a mirror to Decipher's first release, the following cultures will be represented in Premiere:

• Dwarven
  • Elven
  • Gandalf
  • Gondor
  • Isengard
  • Moria
  • Ringwraith
  • Sauron
  • Shire

Each culture will have 30 cards. Additionally, there are 28 sites and 2 versions of The One Ring, bringing Premiere to a total of 300 cards. That's a substantial card pool to begin with, which should give you guys plenty of content to playtest over the coming weeks.

Looking forward, there are three planned expansion releases that will make up the Fellowship Cycle:

• Flight to the Ford
  • A Journey in the Dark
  • The Breaking of the Fellowship

As the names suggest, the first expansion will focus on the Hobbits' journey from the Shire to Rivendell, the second will be centered on the trek through Moria to Lothlórien and the last one pulling content from the fellowship's final push down the river Anduin to Amon Hen. The expansion releases will be small, likely 100-120ish cards.

For those who would like to form local playtest groups, there will be printable pdfs of each card. All templates and images are natively sourced at 300dpi, meaning they should provide nice, clear copies for you upon printing.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you have any questions, feel free to reply and I'll do my best to answer them.

December 02, 2016, 12:31:00 PM
Reply #1

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
Re: Second Edition Update
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
The card list has been up for a bit. If you have seen it, please look it over. I plan to hopefully get the website updated over winter break so all the cards will be up there too. I also hope to get a comprehensive rulebook put together soon as well.

As you may have noticed from my card images, I do have the "official" LOTRTCG font that I'm using for the game text on these cards. Until now, however, I haven't been able to get my new culture symbols embedded into the text so they can just be typed in. I've finally found a solution to edit the font, which means that producing/editing cards will be MUCH easier from now on, as the culture symbols will now be part of the typeface. Before, I had to create a totally different layer of the culture symbol, scale it down, and then do some overlay work to make it "look" like part of the font.

Here's where things get a little interesting. In addition to Second Edition, I've been working on a "spiritual successor" game as well. While I don't have art secured for all the cards, I am in the process of templating a playtest version. I originally included some complicated rules variants and new abilities/attributes, but I've decided to scale it back a bit. So be on the lookout for that soon. This will be an entirely new game with a proprietary IP that actually can be expanded upon without fear of copyright issues.

And yes, I've looked into it. One of my lifelong friends is a copyright/IP attorney and we've been through all the details. The successor game is good to go.

July 13, 2017, 09:18:59 AM
Reply #2

TheHumanHydra

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Re: Second Edition Update
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »
Hey there! I just discovered your Second Edition. It looks amazing! I wish I could test it on Gemp. I'm interested to see your successor game too. I recently started working on a spiritual successor (with some quite different mechanics) based on Skyrim -- intended mostly for myself and my brother, since I don't have permission to use people's screenshots even for a free release and it's obviously not saleable. Your card templates look great -- how did you make them (are you a graphic designer?)? Mine are only fair; I made them in my word processor, lol. I really wanted to create pretty blood blobs for vitality, but didn't know how.

Oh -- I also wanted to let you know of a printing company I learned of recently that will do custom TCG cards for the public!

http://www.makeplayingcards.com

They are a professional card printer but support public orders for your own cards, at what seems to be an affordable rate! I haven't used them yet, but I know people print custom X-Wing Miniatures Game cards through them to hand out at tournaments and such. Maybe you could use them to print some of your own cards to test or once they're in their finished state!